np

E7Tgghy.jpg

l9SU6Ss.jpg

You might be disappointed then as I'm not really a fan of later DsO. I like Inquisitors of Satan and I think Si Monumentum is good but far too long. Definitely some sophisticated use of melody on the album, though.

My favourite is Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum, but I may be a little biased towards it, as it was the first avant-garde metal release I was exposed to. Blew me away at the time, but I haven't listen to deathspell with much regularity since. It's definitely a unique sound they've adopted, which is what gives it the edge over the early albums IMO (black metal being beset by mimicry).

Not really, I tend to rely on common sense in these matters. If further evidence is required I will get back to you when non-inebriated.

What does common sense have to do with wanting an example of a song by Mastodon that sounds like Mothwind?

I'm genuinely interested because if it's true I'll have to change my opinion on the former, but I'm not about to go wading through a band's works of whom I'm not a fan.

What does common sense have to do with wanting an example of a song by Mastodon that sounds like Mothwind?

I'm genuinely interested because if it's true I'll have to change my opinion on the former, but I'm not about to go wading through a band's works of whom I'm not a fan.

In the spirit of open minded re-appraisal:

Last edited:
That song wasn't half bad, but I don't really hear the similarity beyond both bands existing under the vague progressive metal tag.

Mothwind is blatantly more inspired by traditional heavy metal, Mastodon is rather more inspired by sludge, post-rock, post-metal on top of the usual.

There's also quite a big difference in both vocal delivery and vocal intention. Mastodon want to remain heavy and potentially aggressive at all times. That's the sludge thing.