Number of strings on basses

KevyCanavan said:
to be honest, the bass playing on morningrise is the best on any opeth album, mendez is good but not anywhere near as good as the old guy

just remember it's mikael who writes the whole bass lines.
Besides.....why did they actually kick Johan ?

Benzine said:
9 strings are the way forward:

jeanbass.jpg

or you buy a stick and kick all the rest of the band*g

Netheral said:
just remember it's mikael who writes the whole bass lines.
Besides.....why did they actually kick Johan ?

Did you mean that he wrote them? I mean, he doesn't write them these days does he?
I think Johan's musical interests were somewhere else than where Opeth was going. You can read it straight from Mikael in the biography though.

mikael was showing hium a riff on the documentory, i seriously doubt he writes mendez's bass lines. If so what is the point of him being there at all? i swear sometimes ppl on this board say stuff cause it sounds good. and BTW martin is not fluent at the bass line on advent according to anytime i have seen him play it. sorry. hes good but it takes a bass player of a different calibur to execute property on a fretless. The Johan's intonation was perfect. tone amazing. give him his due please

TheFourthHorseman said:
Did you mean that he wrote them? I mean, he doesn't write them these days does he?
I think Johan's musical interests were somewhere else than where Opeth was going. You can read it straight from Mikael in the biography though.
i think he was more like a session player

Thorns of Sorrow said:
Johan only played live for Opeth. All bass lines on Morningrise were written and recorded by Akerfeldt, this is common knowledge folks.

to my knowledge, mayh bass tracks were played by mikael on a fretless. i wasn't aware mikael played and wrote the bass for morningrise, where exactly would find information on this? i've read the sites info and it doesn't say that.

Mr. Niel said:
All of Advent on Morningrise is played on a 4 string bass.

Try again on that one.
No. Period. Listen to the parts at 2:50 and 4:04, and if you think those are played on the second fret of the a string, you're tone deaf. Unless he used an octave pedal.

Also, I have a bootleg video of them playing that song live with the old lineup, and it's very clear from the video that he's hitting low B's in those parts.

Edit:

IN ADDITION: another blatantly obvious part is at like 5:55...he goes lower than E. If you listen/see opeth live now, Mendez plays the e, then plays that D up an octave.

KevyCanavan said:
mikael was showing hium a riff on the documentory, i seriously doubt he writes mendez's bass lines. If so what is the point of him being there at all? i swear sometimes ppl on this board say stuff cause it sounds good.

I thought of this too. I know Mikael writes all the basics for the songs but writing another member's parts? Sounds very weird...

Benzine said:
9 strings are the way forward:

jeanbass.jpg

Man, what is the tuning on that beast? Jonas Hellborg has a 10 string bass that looks like a lute there's so many damn strings on it!

Basses (and all musical instruments) are merely tools. You use whatever tool you need to do the job at hand.