NWOAHM

I've deduced that Kenneth R. lives in England or other surrounding area.

There are plenty of good American bands.

Averse Sefira, Nile, Isis, Origin, etc., not to mention all of the no longer active great bands. America is still behind Norway and Sweden, but probably a strong third.

I wouldn't consider Arsis part of the "NWOAHM" movement (which I think is a marketing term, and is already losing steam, as all of the bands involved are in between albums now.) Arsis isn't nearly as popular as the other bands mentioned. I think this is their first real tour is coming up. I don't know whether they're touring as a two piece or what.

CAIRATH said:
What about Daylight Dies? I've heard good things about them but I could never tell if that was just Katatonia fanboys raving over a Katatonia-soundalike or if that band actually has some merit to it.

Anyone?

I went to school with Barre, and, while he is a good guy, there's nothing really original going on in their work either, at least the stuff I came in contact with (granted, this was 6 or 7 years ago).

leigonX said:
Best new american heavy metal band = ARSIS
black dahlia murder is good too
black dahlia murder is lame, too much of a "sameness" to their music. i don't mind some of the more talented "metalcore" bands like killswitch, god forbid, shadows fall, all that remains though. i've never heard arsis, but i can't get enough of nevermore, but they aren't the so-called "nwoahm", they came before

CAIRATH said:
You need to take that second a in Mastadon and switch it with that first o in Agolloch.

Why yes, I do like to nitpick.

Ontopic: Mastodon are indeed awesome. Their drummer is amazing and they have a nice unique sound to them.
fuckk yeah, i forgot about mastodon, their sound is familiar and unique at the same time. great band live too.

A lot of the NWOAHM bands are indeed metalcore, some are real metal and others are simply screamo. The differences are subtle, and have to do with pacing, tone of voice, amplifier settings, and lyrical content. A lot of these here bands are in fact Christian. Here's a list that is in no way definitive, as I am in fact going to pull it out of my ass on the spot.

METALCORE:
As I Lay Dying (best of the bunch)
Killswitch Engage
Himsa
Diecast
Black Dahlia Murder
Most Precious Blood
Bleeding Through
Bullet For My Valentine
Darkest Hour
amongst others I can't be arsed to think of.

SCREAMO:
Underoath
Norma Jean
A Dozen Furies
A Life Once Lost
The Agony Scene
and yet there are more.

TRV KVLT!!!!:
Mastodon (bow down mortals)
Lamb of God
Trivium
God Forbid
Black Dahlia Murder
Demiricious
The Red Chord
Unearth
Shadows Fall

However there is no genre trv enough or kvlt enough to contain the greatest American hard rock band that has actually produced an album recently (sorry TOOL I know you won't let me down)- Clutch!

All hail Clutch. Let us make a new sub-genre worthy of Clutch! Let us label bands as American Ass-Kicking Music. And as this sub-genre can include all of the Americas, let it henceforth contain two and only two bands until such time as another band proves itself worthy.

AMERICAN ASS-KICKING MUSIC:

Clutch
Three Inches of Blood

Let's all go smite some orcs!

Kenneth R. said:
But it says Unknown :tickled:

<-----

3 Inches of Blood is good fun.

But you're 8 hours ahead of me, which means you're on Greenwich Mean Time, which covers the Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon and London areas :)

P.S. 3 Inches of Blood is incredibly gay :Spin: :loco:

RDreamer said:
A lot of the NWOAHM bands are indeed metalcore, some are real metal and others are simply screamo. The differences are subtle, and have to do with pacing, tone of voice, amplifier settings, and lyrical content. A lot of these here bands are in fact Christian. Here's a list that is in no way definitive, as I am in fact going to pull it out of my ass on the spot.

METALCORE:
As I Lay Dying (best of the bunch)
Killswitch Engage
Himsa
Diecast
Black Dahlia Murder
Most Precious Blood
Bleeding Through
Bullet For My Valentine
Darkest Hour
amongst others I can't be arsed to think of.

SCREAMO:
Underoath
Norma Jean
A Dozen Furies
A Life Once Lost
The Agony Scene
and yet there are more.

TRV KVLT!!!!:
Mastodon (bow down mortals)
Lamb of God
Trivium
God Forbid
Black Dahlia Murder
Demiricious
The Red Chord
Unearth
Shadows Fall

However there is no genre trv enough or kvlt enough to contain the greatest American hard rock band that has actually produced an album recently (sorry TOOL I know you won't let me down)- Clutch!

All hail Clutch. Let us make a new sub-genre worthy of Clutch! Let us label bands as American Ass-Kicking Music. And as this sub-genre can include all of the Americas, let it henceforth contain two and only two bands until such time as another band proves itself worthy.

AMERICAN ASS-KICKING MUSIC:

Clutch
Three Inches of Blood

Let's all go smite some orcs!

i LOL'd at this post (its a joke post....right?)...screamo has nothing to do with metal. norma jean, a life once lost, the agony scene, its still metalcore. Underoath is post-hardcore. As I lay Dying is horrid. Bullet For My valentine isnt american....and would be decent if their vocalist didnt suck. and your 'trv kvlt' bands are still quite metalcore.

Of course it was a joke post, good Lord I wrote it at 3 AM. But seriously, post-hardcore? What is that anyway? Is true hardcore dead, so now there are post-hardcore bands? I think Madball, Hatebreed, Agnostic Front, Biohazard and S.O.D. would have something to say about that.

Metalcore schmetalcore. I put in Black Dahlia Murder twice because technically they fall into both categories, but the differences are so slight! Who says metal has to sound like Cannibal Corpse anyway. It certainly no longer sounds like Judas Priest. Most of the NWOAHM bands use screeching/screaming except for, as I understand it, Demiricious and The Red Chord, and I could still be wrong. Who decides what is metal and what is metalcore? What makes something "core"? Attitude? Screaming? Does Pitchfork or Blabbermouth make up our minds for us?

I for one would not go up to the large black vocalist of God Forbid and tell him that he is not considered "true metal".

Basically, in terms of metal, America sucks... there are a few black metal bands that aren't terrible... Xasthur, Leviathan, etc... But they take some getting used to and what not... And there are a few power metal bands here and there like Kamelot and Jacob's Dream, etc... But pretty much none of the bands are very new... Basically this generation (teenagers right now) suck and do nothing but repeat shit that was already done... There are hardly any new bands in the US that are doing anything new at all... Its all metalcore/thrash at most...
and to the last guy, what does size and color have to do with being metal? If being tough is what you think is metal go join the tough-guy hard edge straightcore scene. You're already listening to the music (God Forbid).

Well...the metal scene in America consists of a lot more bands than the mainstream represents and they run the gamut of genres....the tip of the iceberg being:

Goatwhore
Ludicra
Asunder
Wolves in the Throne Room
Fall of the Bastards
Saros
Impaled
Hammers of Misfortune
Wraith of the Ropes
Intronaut
Graves at Sea
Watch Them Die
November's Doom
Evoken
Noctuary
Anubis Rising
Intronaut

RDreamer said:
But seriously, post-hardcore? What is that anyway?

When I think of post-hardcore, I think of a British band called The Blueprint. It features Matt Grundy (from Pitchshifter, no?) and Karl Middleton (of earthtone9). They've been really quiet for a while, think they may have split, but IMHO they were really fucking good :D

post-hardcore:
Beloved
Elyasin
Underoath (horribly crappy representation...but like metalcore...post-hardcore produces a few good bands...and a wave of shit)
Finch
Aiden
Face Tomorrow
Fugazi

Hardcore:
Gorilla Biscuits
Bane
Bold
older With Honor
Minor Threat
Champion
Have Heart

there's a pretty big difference.

i dont really like metalcore...almost all of it sounds the same. One of my favourites is Shai Hulud though....and thats because the metal influence is pretty low...i like hardcore...and i like metal...im not much for the hybrid.