NWOAHM

Necromantic-Hiko said:
post-hardcore:
Beloved
Elyasin
Underoath (horribly crappy representation...but like metalcore...post-hardcore produces a few good bands...and a wave of shit)
Finch
Aiden
Face Tomorrow
Fugazi

Ok, my definition of post-hardcore must be a little off then :erk:
But then.. I don't hear any real similarity between Finch and Aidan, for example. Aidan are possibly the worst new band I've heard in years. Apart from maybe Slunt... :erk:

Liquid Diamonds said:
Ok, my definition of post-hardcore must be a little off then :erk:
But then.. I don't hear any real similarity between Finch and Aidan, for example. Aidan are possibly the worst new band I've heard in years. Apart from maybe Slunt... :erk:

well, aiden first album is meh-okay...their next one (nightmare anatomy i think is the name) is a horrible piece of shit. finch improved...aiden got worse.

and to teh 'emocore' comment....yes...thats what underoath can be deemed...as emocore means post-hardcore emo. beloved...which is my favourite p-h band...is also emocore...but theyre not complete bitches like underoath...

Necromantic-Hiko said:
well, aiden first album is meh-okay...their next one (nightmare anatomy i think is the name) is a horrible piece of shit. finch improved...aiden got worse.

and to teh 'emocore' comment....yes...thats what underoath can be deemed...as emocore means post-hardcore emo. beloved...which is my favourite p-h band...is also emocore...but theyre not complete bitches like underoath...

Well said:D

I am getting more and more confused with all of the sub-genres that are developing these days. All I am familiar with is death metal and hardcore I guess. So, is Opeth then considered progressive death metal?

Triste said:
Well...the metal scene in America consists of a lot more bands than the mainstream represents and they run the gamut of genres

Yeah, I definitely agree, and good list there...

but speaking in terms of mainstream and popular bands, theres nothing/hardly anything good that is actually metal (yeah, theres metalcore, but thats not metal) and theres no distinct sound like all the NWOBHM bands had (again, not counting metalcore)...

I agree. It seems like the main turn off with most people on lamb of god is the vocals. But you must admit they are very intense, and I like them.

Planetary Eulogy said:
COC's best years had nothing to do with metal at all (not that their "classic" 90's material had much relation to metal either).
it all depends on your definition of metal. by today's standards, one could argue that sabbath nor judas priest are metal, but that's a long debate that i just don't wish to start.

Bard In The Forest said:
and to the last guy, what does size and color have to do with being metal? If being tough is what you think is metal go join the tough-guy hard edge straightcore scene. You're already listening to the music (God Forbid).

You missed my point entirely. I wouldn't want to tell him he isn't metal because I am relatively short and white and he could easily kick my ass, or use my intestines for dental floss, or some such fate. Not that he would, as I'm sure he is a lovely man.

The problem with New American Heavy Metal is indeed that most of it is actually metalcore, screamo, or some sort of post-emo-hardcore-punk-slit my wrist bullshit. There are SO few new bands coming along doing straight up metal. When I think of America and metal in the same sphere I think "early Metallica" which is the gold standard we as Americans have, to show us what is metal and what is crap. Obviously we can no longer use Metallica as a watermark because they suck, but even so, all my favorite metal bands are either Scandinavian or dead or both. Venom, Death, Bathory, Opeth, you get the picture.

Even the gods of metal (Maiden, Priest, Motorhead, Sabbath, Zeppelin) were all British. The American metal pedigree isn't really that kind of metal- it's thrash, as done by Metallica, Megadeth, and more obscure outfits like Blind Illusion and Heathen. The big American rock acts back in the 70's, when Sabbath and Maiden and Priest were big, were KISS and Aerosmith and Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd and Lynyrd Skynyrd, none of which are very metal by any stretch of the imagination.

So we have these kids now with no American musical heroes to speak of, left to their own devices to copy European metal. However, they also listen to shit American bands. So then we get mixtures of Immortal and Bright Eyes, which roughly translates into Aiden.

America is MUCH better at progressive music. We have Queensryche and Tool. :worship: Yay for us!

This is why Mastodon is so fucking awesome. They're American, they kick all kinds of ass, they don't look like total freaks and they don't whine about their girlfriends or slit their wrists. They make good fucking music about whales and everyone rocks out to them. :headbang:

RDreamer said:
screamo, or some sort of post-emo-hardcore-punk-slit my wrist bullshit.

i dont see how you can associate any of those with metal at all...they have nothing to do with the genre in the least...screamo, as well as hardcore, emo (not like anyone here would actually know what emo is), post-hardcore, etc...are all PUNK offshoots...not metal.

Necromantic-Hiko said:
i dont see how you can associate any of those with metal at all...they have nothing to do with the genre in the least...screamo, as well as hardcore, emo (not like anyone here would actually know what emo is), post-hardcore, etc...are all PUNK offshoots...not metal.

If that's true, then the only pure American metal bands are Crowbar, CoC, Brand New Sin and muthereffing Fireball Ministry. And Mastodon. Thank Jesus in Heaven for Mastodon.

Punk used to be good, man! We used to have the Ramones and the Clash and the Dead Kennedys and Black Flag! Now we have... Rancid? I guess there's Jawbreaker and Anti-Flag and Bad Religion and the Dropkick Murphys too, but geez. It used to mean something besides music about getting drunk.

Have you seen Fuse or MTV lately? No? You want to know what band is really really popular? It's Hawthorne Heights. My God, the high schoolers all cream themselves over this shit. Worst singing I've ever heard, two-chord bullshit. Hell, the Ramones wrote more technical songs than that. The dude doesn't even sing, he just talks really loud and looks despondent. Hell, at least Aiden in all their shittiness puts some feeling into the vocals. It might as well be zombie music.

This is why I mainly listen to American progressive metal, or European metal. Most American music is absolute trash.