O/T: OZZY OSBOURNE Retires As OZZFEST Headliner: 'It's Time For Me To Move On'

Ozzy Osbourne announced on Friday (August 12) that he is retiring as the headliner of his long-running namesake package tour, Ozzfest.

"After 10 years, the Ozzfest's name and reputation have been established," he said in a statement. "It's time for me to move on and do other things." His publicist noted in a statement, "Ozzfest will carry on in 2006, however Ozzy will limit his performances to only a few, select cities."

Osbourne, who's been performing with BLACK SABBATH this summer as the tour's headliner, has been dogged by throat problems, which have forced the band to drop off of the bill on several recent dates, reports MTV.com.

The August 7 concert — which had been slated for Somerset, Wisconsin's Float Rite Park Amphitheatre — was postponed until September 10 in an effort to give Osbourne time to rest his strained vocal chords; it will be the last date of this summer's trek, according to MTV.com. SABBATH have canceled three Ozzfest appearances so far this year — shows on July 27 in Holmdel, New Jersey, July 31 in Noblesville, Indiana and August 2 in Columbus, Ohio — as a direct result of Ozzy's stressed voice. Ticketholders for all three dates were offered full refunds, while co-headliners IRON MAIDEN were called upon to extend their set.

Read more at MTV.com.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow. I'm not suprised at all, but it still is sad to see it happen. It's all for the better, though, since it might be better at this point if they get different headliners for the tour every year. We could have seen Maiden headline this year if this happened ealier. Best of luck to Ozzy!

After half a litre of Jack Daniel's I can't be fucked reading the article but I'll take the banner 'headline' literally:

Thank fuck!

Ozzy's retirement has been over due for years now. I know the moderator of the Iommi board and, allegedly, there's been a petition to get Ozzy out of Sabbath running for quite a while now so maybe Ozzy is taking Tony's hints.

I mean, I like Ozzy-era Sabbath, maybe not as much as Dio's era, but I still like it. But I think it is time for Ozzy to retire before his wife cheapens his name even more than she already has.

I think there is a bit of over-reaction to the whole 'Ozzy's voice cracked' thing for Thursdays show. I was there and it wasn't that bad. When he came back he did great. In fact for a guy that went on stage sick he kicked some ass! To say it is over because of one hard summer is kind of knee jerk. last summer he sounded and looked better than he has in decades. After last night I believe the sick story.

I'm glad I got to see Sabbath atleast once, but I'll say without hesitation that Maiden blew them off the stage.

I say good riddance. I saw enough to know that I missed the boat on seeing a truely decent show of there's. The fact that they had to drop the tunings down a step and a half for him to stay in key for the songs, only to still have his voice crack was quite annoying. He has little to no stage presence, and his rants and rallying of the audience is, shall I say, just plain ol' sad at this point.

It was good for what it's worth, but I'd much rather see the Dio lineup at this point.
Oh and whoever thinks Ozzy IS Sabbath is just...well, I just can't agree with that. IMO, Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules are better than any of his solo efforts...

Myke Havoc said:
I'm glad I got to see Sabbath atleast once, but I'll say without hesitation that Maiden blew them off the stage.

I say good riddance. I saw enough to know that I missed the boat on seeing a truely decent show of there's. The fact that they had to drop the tunings down a step and a half for him to stay in key for the songs, only to still have his voice crack was quite annoying. He has little to no stage presence, and his rants and rallying of the audience is, shall I say, just plain ol' sad at this point.

It was good for what it's worth, but I'd much rather see the Dio lineup at this point.
Oh and whoever thinks Ozzy IS Sabbath is just...well, I just can't agree with that. IMO, Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules are better than any of his solo efforts...

Agreed. I love Ozzy for just going out there and giving it his all, and I'm glad I got to see him with Sabbath last year; I got to see Sabbath with Rob Halford last year :loco: , which did kick ass! Saw Ozzy with Zakk the year before in the pit and he looked horrible to me then. This year I was in the lawn and he still looked pretty bad.

I hate to use this analogy of his present stage presense, but he reminds me of my grandma. She currently has Alzheimers (sp?) and whenever she walked around the house, she seemed to hovel a bit and had a hard time moving around. Same deal with Ozzy to me. Whenever he's trying to get the audience into a frenzy with the arm wavings and such, he just seems like my grandma trying to do the same thing. It's just really depressing for me to see Ozzy in a state like this. I wish him the best!

As for who was better in the 80's, Ozzy's solo stuff or Sabbath w/ Dio, all I have to say is this: "THE MOB RULES!"

haven't ever been to an Ozzfest. When they come through the Northwest, will sometimes hit up Rockfest in Portland, where Ozzfest bands play, without Ozzy or Sabbath and the ticket price is not even half of Ozzfest.

abrasiverock said:
I think there is a bit of over-reaction to the whole 'Ozzy's voice cracked' thing for Thursdays show. I was there and it wasn't that bad. When he came back he did great. In fact for a guy that went on stage sick he kicked some ass! To say it is over because of one hard summer is kind of knee jerk. last summer he sounded and looked better than he has in decades. After last night I believe the sick story.
hey, you going to hookey day next friday?

DiscipleOfThePit said:
Hmm, I wish Ozzfest would put on someone different. Mind you, I'll probably never go to an Ozzfest so I don't care all that much...
Ive never been to one myself, and I will probably never go to one as well. Too much $ for a a one day festival