Obligatory Recommendation Topic

V.V.V.V.V.

Houses Ov Mercury
Jan 20, 2004
Dracut, MA
OK here's the deal. I sit here and watch while you recommend me bands from these particular genres. All are provided with particular examples to help your choice be a more accurate one. Cheers.

Some stoner/doom metal (Heavy Rocks-era Boris, Church Of Misery, Kyuss)
Some folk/viking metal (XIV Dark Centuries, Asmegin, Manegarm)
Some very interesting/unique death metal (Arghoslent, Mithras, Intestine Baalism)
Some very interesting/unique grind or goregrind (Cephalectomy, Lymphatic Phlegm)
Some catchy riffin' power metal (Manticora, Elvenking)
Some NSBM and/or some raw yet melodic BM (Blut aus Nord, Deathspell Omega, Gontyna Kry)

Avoid anything remotely not underground. :)

Worm-Infested Intestinal Tract said:
Some very interesting/unique death metal (Arghoslent, Mithras, Intestine Baalism)

Golem, Miasma.

Some NSBM and/or some raw yet melodic BM (Blut aus Nord, Deathspell Omega, Gontyna Kry)

Satanic Warmaster

Avoid anything remotely not underground. :)
Here's a few:

Unique/interesting DM:
Wicked Innocence - Omnipotence
Windham Hell - Reflective Depths Imbibe
Golem - Eternity: The Weeping Horizons
The Chasm - Deathcult for Eternity: The Triumph

NSBM:
Ad Hominem - Planet Zog: The End
Astrofaes - Ancestor's Shadows
The Shadow Order - Raise the Banners
Wolfnacht - Heidentum

The others genres don't interest me (except folk metal, but most NSBM is folk metal in the literal, rather than superficial sense of the term anyway).

Here's some BM with a brief description and their best song (IMO) so that you can see if you like it before you buy the album.

Arthemesia - Strangely they're unsigned and only have one album, but it's amazing. No real distinguishing factor except for quality--the kind of melodic, epic sound they make. "Celebration of the Heaven Lost" or "Ancestor of Magick"

Obtained Enslavement - Heavy classical influence with a piano sometimes playing in the background. The drumming is very aggressive and the songs are fast-paced. "The Dark Night of Souls"

Moonblood - Very raw, minimalistic sound and low production. "Blut Und Krieg" (the album has the same name)

Negura Bunget - Very ideologically driven, most songs are above ten mintues and focus on building an atmosphere. I can only recommend an entire album, either "N Crugu Bradului" or "Maiastru Sfetnic".

Nokturnal Mortum - Maybe not underground enough for you. Their later stuff is similar to Bathory's Nordlands, but the earlier stuff is great BM. Their first album has lots of Ukranian folk influence, their second is much like Emperor's second. "The Forgotten Ages of Victories"

Bump. More.

Also, you can just recommend me ANY album that's been pwning you lately. Any genre at all, even *gasp* NOT METAL.

Disfear - Misanthropic Generation

I really suck at classifying this kind of music but (i think) it's like hardcore with really fast punk riffs but it's very heavy and energizing. It's waking my lazy ass up this morning

Lately, these have owning me:

Megiddo - The Devil and the Whore (black metal)
Hate Forest - Scythia (black metal)
Mindrot - Dawning (crust/doom)
Woodtemple - The Call of the Pagan Woods (like latter-era Graveland)
Obtest - Auka Seniems Dievams (blackened/folk thrash)
Nydvind - Eternal Winter Domain (heathen black metal)

Some stoner/doom metal - Arcane Sun, Doomsword
Some folk/viking metal - Enslaved, Nachtfalke
Some very interesting/unique death metal - Angel Corpse, God Macabre, Vore, Adramelech, Gory Blister
Some very interesting/unique grind or goregrind - Malignancy, Mortal Decay
Some catchy riffin' power metal - early Helloween, Grave Digger, Thy Majestie
Some NSBM and/or some raw yet melodic BM - Mjolnir, Kristallnacht, Legion Of Doom, Fullmoon, Astrofaes

Bump. More.

Also, you can just recommend me ANY album that's been pwning you lately. Any genre at all, even *gasp* NOT METAL.
I almost only listen to non-metal. I have no clue what you like, but here goes:

Coph Nia, Raison d'Etre, Karjalan Sissit, Ulf Soderberg, Nordman, Deine Lakaien, Faith and the Muse, Elend, The Dreamside, Arvo Part, Corvus Corax, Sopor Aeternus, This Mortal Coil, Of the Wand and the Moon, Bel Canto, Skinny Puppy, Umbra et Imago, Arcana, Christian Death, Dargaard, Estampie, Das Ich, Varttina, Sephiroth.

stoner/doom metal/sludge(you have to include all 3 since most bands mix all 3): Solitude Aeturnus-Adagio, Acid Bath-When The Kite String Pops,Paegan Terrorism Tactics, Crowbar-Odd Fellows Rest,Broken Glass, Neurosis-Through Silver In Blood,Alabama Thunderpussy-Staring At The Divine,Esoteric-Metamorphogenesis, Cathedral-Forest of Equilibirum,Pelican-Australasia,Confessor-Condemned,Eyehategod-Take As Needed For Pain,Buzzov*en-Sore,Buried At Sea-Migration,High on Fire-Surrounded By Thieves. etc....

Very interesting/unique death metal: Wicked Innocence-Omnipotence,Worship(less Death Metal,more expirimental with blues,doom,etc..),Mortal Decay-Forenic,Gorguts-Obscura,From Wisdom To Hate,The Chasm-Deathcult For Eternity,Demilich-Nespithe,Atheist-Unquestionable Presence,Adramlech-Pyschostasia,Immolation-Here In After,Human Remains-Using Sickness As A Hero(more expirimental grind but early 90's DM infleunce is there,very interesting weird stuff, very innovating),

Viking metal: Amon Amarth-Vs The World

Grind: Brutal Truth-Need To Controll,Assuck-Misery Index,Napalm Death-Enemy Of The Music Business,Kalibas(tech grind)-Enthusiastic Corruption of The Common Good E.P,Product of Hard Living.

Black Metal(not raw but melodic): Ephel Dauth-Rephormula,Depresy-Psychomantium Phenomenon.