Observations about Chronologie NYC

XFactor42

May 29, 2001
upstate NY
www.openupandsay.com
So if I start a thread about a few odd things I noticed at the NYC show, should I expect people to actually want to have a regular conversation about it, or will all the "stop complaining" trolls jump in right away even though I really wouldn't be complaining?

no please, list the odd things, if it gets into a bitch fest, tell moonie to delete the thread, he'll probably do it

Goober said:
no please, list the odd things, if it gets into a bitch fest, tell moonie to delete the thread, he'll probably do it

Actually he's done that for me before when a simple comment I made was attacked by the O-trolls.

At any rate (and to reiterate), I am NOT complaining about the show in NYC, just pointing out a few things that struck me odd and/or I'm wondering about.

1) Did anyone find the drumming during 'Windowpane' just a bit too loud for the song itself? I realize it's a different drummer and all and I certainly don't expect him to be a clone, but the snap of the snare seemed to be a little too sharp.

2) Windowpane (again). The choral keyboard sound that comes in towards the end of the track (right where they're repeating the opening guitar part) was swapped out for the string sound that's used in the rest of the track. They're both old Mellotron sounds, and I thought they worked very well on that track.

3) Was Mikael having problems with his guitar during the last part of 'Closure' (after "I am longing for the darkness"), or was what they were doing intentional? If it was intentional, I'm not sure if I liked it or not- they probably could've fit in another DAMNATIONS song if they wanted to with all the time they spent. If he was having problems though, Peter did a pretty good job improvising while Mikael was getting his guitar sound sorted.

4) The wind down of 'A Fair Judgement'- way, waaaay to long. It was pretty cool how they did the transition from the end of 'The Leper Affinity' to AFJ though.

5) Ballet. Interesting to watch. Not my thing normally, but interesting nonetheless.

the guitar thing in closure was intentional...the ballet was cool to see, but i felt kind of weird watching it lol...and as far as drumming, the only real complaint/thing i can point out...is the part in closure when its just mike playing...axe was playing the cymbals way too fast..like the rolls on them and whatnot

i wasn't at the show, but I really do like the extended closure. With Per doing his keyboard solo it makes it sound soo much better, and I really like the song in general cause it sort of has the feel of a jam session going on. Also I like it because of the lead up to the crashing conclusion. The build up is just incredible and definately an improvement to the already great song. When I saw them play this live in London I was incredibly excited and thought they did a great job. Axe played the song really well during this show, so maybe it was just the jitters of playing a longer set in front of a bigger crowd.

XFactor42 said:
1) Did anyone find the drumming during 'Windowpane' just a bit too loud for the song itself? I realize it's a different drummer and all and I certainly don't expect him to be a clone, but the snap of the snare seemed to be a little too sharp.
Yea, Martin Lopez seems to have a laid back style of drumming not typical of death metal drummers. Axe is a death metal drummer and probably isnt used to playing the laid back stuff from damnation. He may not even be jazz trained the way Lopez is