Octavarium leaked

"OH YM GOD DT SUCKS, IF A SOLO HAS MORE THAN 2 NOTEZ EVERY 5 MINUTES IT'S WANK... PETTRUCI IS GOOD GUITARIST SO HE OBVOIUSLY HAS NO EMOTION" -99% of the opeth forum

i'm glad we all just came to the conclusion that the White Cluster solo is obviously pure wankery

oh yeah haha and there was the guy that posted in this thread that said "ANY TR00 PROG LOVER DOESN'T THINK DT ARE PROG"

man this thread is great

but no matter what is said in this thread, nothing will change

opeth fanboys will continue to think that opeth is the greatest thing since the toaster and that musicians trained in any way are just pure wankery

"PEAC EOUT"

waz you need to start putting BITCHES on the end of that

i totally agree to what dreadful said. scenes from a memory was my first dt album, and it still ranks among my top all-time albums. i also loved labrie's voice (except for the ballad, which i always skip.. it's better on the Metropolis 2000 dvd tho..), unfortunately his voice is not that great on a few other albums.

i'm looking forward to hearing the new album

Don Corleone said:
does petrucci wank on his guitar a lot again?

ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN "TRAIN OF THOUGHT"! what an awful album it was.
TOT is fucking awesome! It grew on me like a cunt. Only a week 'til the new album hits the shelves, so I'll wait. Worst album is definately 'Falling into infinity', what is it with 'hells kitchen' that I'm missing? :Smug:

Saber Rider said:
You just own this two?
You ain't heard nothing yet of DT, son.

@Don Corleone
So far I got five tracks with nice sound quality in their entire lenght(The answer lies within, These walls, I walk beside you, Never enough and Sacrificed Sons) and JP is holding back like never before.
Actually I think he really wants to shake off his Shred-virtuoso-wanker- image with this album.
And it works.
Of course there's also some shredding going on and some very nice unisonos of git and keys but the songs aren't consisting just of shredding anymore.

My fav track so far definitely is 'The answer lies within', probably DTs most beatiful ballad ever.
No JP soloing at all, nice strings of a real orchestra(not the fake ones from Jordans Keys like on 6doit) and a LaBrie that sings quite nicely and enjoyable.

To put it in a nutshell, I'm positively surprised.

thanks saber.

nothing wrong with JP throwing a solo here and there, though...it's just that the one he pulled off at towards the end of the last song on train of thought (im not even gonna walk towards my CD shelves for it)...that solo was so fast that it almost sounded like one single note...like a "weeeeeeeeeee." terrible terrible. thats not music. that maybe a visual experience for his audience while hes on stage, but in an album...??

anyways that was my point. dream theater was amongt my faves a few years ago (especially with scenes from a memory). i'd love to give them that title back =)

we'll see

A mini- review how I fell about it after giving it some listens:

The Root of all evil:
The next episode in the Glass Prison/Dying Soul- Saga but it sounds more 'Rock' than 'Metal', yet it has some pretty cool riffs and some cool vocals. The only downside is the Keyboard- solo cause I hate that leadsound.

The answer lies within:
JLB definitely is the star on this song. And I don't care for all the lame JLB haters on this board, he does good work.
This really could be a hit if it got airplay but we all know that'll never happen.

These walls:
When I heard the 30-seconds-soundclip I was pretty disappointed. But actually the song does better than I thought. Again no shred solo but a very simple yet effective one. Plus, JPs guitar is extemely downtuned on this one.

I walk beside you:
Queen meets U2.
But I have to say the track grows on me very fast. Actually it's one of my favs. Uplifting and a kind of hit- character too.

Panic attack:
The thrashy side of DT shows. Definitely the heaviest and fastest track on the album with the coolest instrumental section, it really fits the title. *lol*
Plus, it's a real earworm. I can't get it out of my head since two days now.

Never enough:
Starts with some cool drumming and cool riffing but somehow the vocals won't fit right in here. At first I found them really annoying but it's getting better.

Sacrificed Sons:
This one needs some listens to unfold. But it's getting stronger, the second half of the song already has me.

Octavarium:
The track I heard the fewest til now and definitely the one that requires the most listens with it's 24 minutes.
Starts with a long instrumental intro, some very cool flute playing there. Then it gets a really cool Bass groove but there's nothing really special going on besides that. Long Keysolo in the middle, the track gets more and more dramatic and then they go insane in an instrumental section. When JLB kicks in again he starts extremely low, almost speaking, his voice gains in anger and the song peaks with sreaming "Trapped inside this Octavarium" in something you could call the chorus, although it only appears once. After that the track focusses on a JP solo with feeling and finally the orchestra giving it an epic end.

I must have a bad copy of Octavarium, cause mine definately is not 24 minutes long. Infact the total time of the CD I downloaded was 44 minutes. Does anyone know the real stats of the real record? And the song lengths of each song?

P.S. I liked ToT better.... no shredding on this record pisses me off.
ToT songs are classic now.... very memorable.