Octavarium leaked

Saber Rider said:
Octavarium:
The track I heard the fewest til now and definitely the one that requires the most listens with it's 24 minutes.
Starts with a long instrumental intro, some very cool flute playing there. Then it gets a really cool Bass groove but there's nothing really special going on besides that. Long Keysolo in the middle, the track gets more and more dramatic and then they go insane in an instrumental section. When JLB kicks in again he starts extremely low, almost speaking, his voice gains in anger and the song peaks with sreaming "Trapped inside this Octavarium" in something you could call the chorus, although it only appears once. After that the track focusses on a JP solo with feeling and finally the orchestra giving it an epic end.

this track bothers me because of the rediculously overly long intro..

hopefully this album grows on me within the next week or so... so far it isn't buy-worthy

Don Corleone said:
i hear you, house of seance. do you also find the intro of "the moor" too long too?

i know i skip it every time.

I like the intro to The Moor, it's an interesting piece

but Octavarium is different... for one it's 4 minutes long, and there isn't really much going on during that 4 minutes at all except for some pitch bending either via Petrucci with a whammy pedal or Rudess on keyboard

I'm pretty sure it's Petrucci.
I get a "shine on you..."- mood from it but I agree that it's a bit too long.

Opeth is neither pop(ular music) nor underground(anymore).

They're somewhere between.

But labelling a band as crap just because they belong to a certain genre is as stupid as it gets.

hey me again, to Oinkness first- my point is that opeth's musicianship enhances their songs, whereas some dream theater songs, are spoilt by sections devised for wankery without enhancing the music. For instance on ToT, Endless sacrifice has great intro verse and chorus parts, but what is all that shredding from the guitar and keys doing in the middle? Does it enhance the song? Is it particularly related to the rest of the song? Is it about note choice or phrasing or those things i love about the best petrucci solos (he's a big influence on my playing)? If you think it helps the song or shows mature songwriting then it's just a difference of opinion between us.

Also i've seen them twice and own the dvds, i know how tight they are, and admire them greatly, but i think their musicianship is the point of the band, not the music they write, which is often highly derivative of what they're listening to at the time, and constantly interrupted by what i would call tastelessness (that bizarre brass patch jordan uses in the Beyond This Life mid-section for instance, does he not have ears?!)

Sickboy, I've heard all those songs, i have 3 albs (awake, scenes and ToT) +change of seasons, which is one of the reasons i got a 7-string in the first place. I do not despise a band for playing music, that would be silly. I think DT's lyrics are horribly weak though, and that anyone who says james labrie has a great voice rather than being a melodramatic cheese merchant with no control on his vibrato is probably not a singer. In fact, they're the only band i regularly listen to that i have quite this many problems with.

disclaimer- all of the above is my OWN OPINION, for discussion if you want, but not abuse, cheers

So ive listened to the entire new album while reading everyones post, and I happen to agree with some people and disagree with others. (No way!) Way!

Anywho, overall it does suck. The only good parts were some solos and melodies in some of the songs, which I wish I could take out and put in the same song and get rid of everything else. I will agree with whoever made a post about DT sounding way to overdone. Their music is recorded so perfect and cheesy, I cant really stand it. They might have recovered from ToT, but that was so bad that this isnt really that great.

As for wanking on the guitar, Petrucci is amazing, but hes like that little kid in that video cept with emotion. He just plays scales too much, it does sound good most of the time I guess.

This album is just too simple for me. All the songs use about 4 chords and then Petrucci throws in an uber fast solo to be like... HEY LOOK AT US WE CAN PLAY FAST!

I love some of DT's earlier and newer stuff, but overall this album sucks.

Lol.

Someone said my version of octavarium is Labrie's solo album.... I really hope not. I have it on the laptop unlistened to, I must go seek truth! I may end up downloading the real version... unless that was a flipping joke. :p I'm so gullible, I don't even know if it was a joke. Bastards.