JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
October Falls - Marras: Eight Hymns for Scheol and Nature

Band URL: http://koti.welho.com/mlehto4/
Label URL: http://corvusrecords.com/

bigmarras.gif

Mikko Lehto returns from his initial self-release of Tuoni to deliver the second part of his trilogy with Marras, another set of 8 instrumentals flowing seamlessly together to conjure a single concept of dying autumn mist, slow drifting streams, and the melancholic nature of the nighttime woodland. Having signed with Corvus Records (also home to NEST) just before writing Marras, OCTOBER FALLS are elevated somewhat to stand alongside their peers and hopefully obtain some well deserved recognition.

As near perfect as Tuoni was, Marras manages to improve the formula just slightly. First of all, the production is a tad more crisp with brighter sounding instrumentation, thanks to new studio equipment and instruments. Secondly, there are plenty of subtle nuances to add to the overall ‘nocturnal’ effect, such as blowing winds, woodland creatures, the crackling of wood fire, and most eerily, underlying male chant choirs (these hymns heard alongside the pounding of kettle drums in the distance).

The most significant change from Tuoni is perhaps the song structuring. Marras tends to offer less complex music enveloped around the core melody, and this of course makes each track both memorable and unique. This song writing style is witnessed immediately on track 2, “Marras II”, probably my favourite track on the album. With that said, listening to Marras in its entirety as a concept conjures such vivid imagery across an entire landscape. Not just the forest, but also the fields surrounding it, leading to the hills, valleys, and remote lit villages on the evening horizon. Honestly, it’s all really rather stunning whilst remaining entirely melancholic.

Of course, what remains consistent with OCTOBER FALLS is the appreciation for how each instrument co-exists with the other. The production quality manages this perfectly, with Lehto having recorded this entirely on his own, knowing exactly how much prominence to add to the guitars over the piano over the strings, and so forth. This is the art of composition over musicianship, and something Lehto excels at.

I eagerly await the warmth from the upcoming vinyl edition (with extra track included).

9/10

Great review (as always), that's an album I'll be getting as soon as possible, since the vinyl release according to the homepage seems to have been cancelled. Or Letho?

spaffe said:
Great review (as always), that's an album I'll be getting as soon as possible, since the vinyl release according to the homepage seems to have been cancelled. Or Letho?

Thanks. Mikko confirmed that there will be a vinyl release (with the extra track) but he's just not sure of when. He mentioned nothing about it being cancelled.

If I can make a recommendation, there is a sample for "Marras II" on both his site and at Corvus. I highly recommend listening to it immediately.

spaffe said:

It's not canceled, but I'm thinking should it be released now or wait sometime. There's one bonustrack recorded for it, so vinyl will be released, but I wouldn't hold my breath just yet...

what's the deal with this album. 99 copies have some cardboard thingy and postcard. explain please. kthanxcya

You have the regular jewel case version. And then you have the limited run of 99 digipaks. And then you have the vinyl version, release date tbd.

Right now you can get the limited edition for $10 from Dark Symphonies (along with the new Evoken which I need to get like yesterday).