Oddball bands?

metal71 said:
Opeth. They could do a full set and finsh maybe 3 or 4 songs... if they play reeeeal fast. They would kill.

They'll be touring shortly, so their 'neetness' factor is, alas, relatively nil. Just heard that Ghost Reveries landed at #63 or so in the Billboard chart for first-week sales, with 15,000 units. :headbang:

That being said, I'd love to see them at a good venue. They ARE playing the Roxy here in Atlanta, from what I've heard (the Masquerade forgot to bid on it, and anyway they might not be open by then), which is a nicer venue, but....

Heck, give them two slots at PP and make it a "very special extended acoustic/plugged in show with intermission" or something. :worship: :tickled:

booB said:
Extol would be an EXCELLENT oddball band for ProgPower.

I know I'm gonna get shit for this but Extol is a christian band. Sorry but I don't support Christian metal at all (It defeats the purpose). I'm no satanist but i am a anti-religionist. I have nothing against christian people at all so don't me wrong. I know christians who play in metal bands and they don't bring their beliefs in their music and bassically keep religion at church (where it should stay). Unfornately Dave Mustiane doesn't get that! Mr Ego saying " I won't play with rotting christ or dissection because they are satanic". thats all i'm gonna say about that

And? Lots of metal bands sing out against religion within the context of their music? Does that piss you off also? No, because it doesn't conflict with your beliefs. So I think you're being rather unreasonable. It doesn't really make a difference musically either. Saviour Machine are a Christian band and they're darker sounding than a lot of metal bands.

Dave Mustaine is obnoxious but it has nothing to do with him being a Christian.

Barking Pumpkin said:
And? Lots of metal bands sing out against religion within the context of their music? Does that piss you off also? No, because it doesn't conflict with your beliefs. So I think you're being rather unreasonable. It doesn't really make a difference musically either. Saviour Machine are a Christian band and they're darker sounding than a lot of metal bands.

Dave Mustaine is obnoxious but it has nothing to do with him being a Christian.
Saviour Machine are also one of the single best Gothic metal bands around. Just wish that Clayton would get Legend III:II released soon.

And how exactly does Christian metal "defeat the purpose?" There's nothing Christian or Anti-Christian about musical notes, and that's a fucking fact. :loco:

As for people who say that Christian metal musicians "defeat the purpose," I have one band for you: Trouble.

Not sure what the purpose of metal is that it would preclude Christian themes.

The idea that metal is supposed to be angry is so 80s. Metal has proven that it can be majestic as well.

I will quote Andre Matos on Christian Metal...

"I have nothing against it, but there are some white (gospel) metal bands that seem that became gospel simply because they can't play that well and know the whitemetal fans are not as demanding. Excuse me for my honesty, but the music could have more quality, most of it is real bad. I see some contradictory things as white (christian) death and even black metal. What the fuck? It's bizarre!"

I believe that while there's a FEW white/christian metal bands that are good, most of them are very weak, musically and lyrically. And don't give me this bullshit of christian death and black metal cause that's non-sense (IMO).

I only heard a few songs by Extol, from a cd a lot of fans dont like. I am willing to hear more of their music. Until then, they are on my "weak" list.

Ah yes... it must be true, because Andre Matos said it.

Andre Matos is a girlie-man.

And don't give me this bullshit of christian death and black metal cause that's non-sense (IMO).

If you're serious, then you could stand to learn a lot about extreme metal.

booB said:
Ah yes... it must be true, because Andre Matos said it.

I never said that. I used his quote as an example. And frankly, I disaggree with most of what he says. It was just an example of an opinion.

booB said:
Andre Matos is a girlie-man.

Do you base your statement on his voice range or you've actually had personal experiences with him? lol

booB said:
If you're serious, then you could stand to learn a lot about extreme metal.

I apologize to you, Oh Unholy Master and King of the Knowledge of Extreme Metal, it was not my intention of saying such heresy. I would love to have classes with you about extreme metal. In fact, you should start teaching a course at Harvard or something about the genre. I am quite sure I'd be part of the faculty alongside you, for I know quite a lot about extreme metal. Ask before you take your own "ass"umptions.

I didn't say there weren't a bunch of shitty unoriginal mediocre weak copy-cat Christian Metal bands, or even that the majority of "christian" metal bands aren't weak and unoriginal. But just saying that "Christian" bands are crappy on principal as JosephAcevedo did is rather ignorant. A whole ton of Christian bands are just poor ripoffs of other bands musically, but if there's an awesome Christian band (Saviour Machine have been around 15+ years, hardly ripping anyone off), talking about Christianity in their lyrics shouldn't keep them from playing anywhere.

Do you base your statement on his voice range or you've actually had personal experiences with him? lol

His voice range, of course.

wait... he's a person??? I thought he was one of those electronic screaming machines! :lol

you should start teaching a course at Harvard or something about the genre.

yeah... I'd make a shitload more money than I do now. :)

In regards to the Matos quote above, I think he's mostly right. That is certainly changing (especially recently), but a lot of the bands "back in the day" fit his comments perfectly. I liked Stryper, and what I have heard from a band named Guardian was pretty good, but a lot of it was "if you like (insert band name), you'll love (insert Christian equivalent)."

It seems that a lot of the good Christian metal bands are those that succeeded on non-religious record labels. Galactic Cowboys ("Space in Your Face" = underrated classic) and Virgin Black come to mind as two good examples.