Are Orphaned Land the "oddball" band?

Pellaz said:
PC69 is a sorta-oddball because they don't fit smoothly into either a prog- or power-metal categorization. Orphaned Land (and Therion, too) are oddballs because of the occasional use of growly vox. :D

That sums it up for me...............What he said.

DementiaGuitar said:
Ohh dude, if you get one, get Terria.

Yep, yep. Another one of the ton of artists on my "to get" list. I think I'll be getting Terria with my next set of purchases. But I'm not buying anything until I find out the rest of the bands...hopefully we'll get them both tomorrow.

am i the only one that thinks the whole oddball thing is getting stupid? i mean think about it. OL could be the oddball. therion could be the oddball. PC69 could even be an oddball. who cares

LOL I remember that part of the show (I'm the guy with the grey shirt looking like I'm trying to move through the crowd, actually in the first picture it looks like I'm trying to pick the guys ear in front of me lol). My friend and I sat in the front waiting all day for Angra. Those 2 Japanese girls were in the front standing against the railing, and the big guy clapping his hands over the girl on the right (if I remember correctly) kept trying to push up to the front... I think it was more for the cop a feel opportunity on the girls rather than to see the band. Now I'm remembering that day and cracking up.

yea i saw them at one of the merch booths standing around. lmao. leave it to metal fans for the entire ticketholder population inside the venue to eyeball the chicks the entire time

Soundscape said:
I doubt it'll happen, but after finally picking up Mabool this week and hearing it, and the bonus disc..I'd LOVE to hear them do track 5 on the bonus disc..the Middle Eastern sounding Medley totally ruled! \m/

Kyle

I would think it would be more likely than not now that they will do an acoustic set in the pre-party

Landisb said:
LOL I remember that part of the show (I'm the guy with the grey shirt looking like I'm trying to move through the crowd, actually in the first picture it looks like I'm trying to pick the guys ear in front of me lol).

Wow, no kidding! Now that I look at the pic....

--And all this time I thought the guy whose ear you're picking happened to be looking toward me when I took the photo. There's always someone who happens to look at the camera in any decent crowd pic -- it's a statutory requirement, like finding fries at the bottom of your drive-through bag. But no, that guy's looking behind himself at you while you're (apparently) picking his ear. :tickled:

For proof of the preceding theory:

dcp03357.jpg

See? It's YOU that time. :D

what is l33t when describing power metal fans? I am one that is an oddball himself :loco: who leans towards the prog side, prefers power metal that is more heavy like brainstorm than the cheesy stuff. I guess that is why you won't see me any day soon at an all power metal fest.

Orphaned land is going to be one of the most talked about bands after this fest. They will amaze those few who don't believe.

I think you're right. OL is gonna blow everyone away. Except for those that go "death metal vocals?!?!" and then leave without giving them a chance. But lets hope there are none of those.

DementiaGuitar said:
I think you're right. OL is gonna blow everyone away. Except for those that go "death metal vocals?!?!" and then leave without giving them a chance. But lets hope there are none of those.

That mentality drives me nuts. How many people really enjoy Beer and Wine the first time they sip them? And yet how many of the same people now drink Beer and Wine like they are water???

It's true, growling vocals are not something that are going to appeal to everyone over time, but if given a true chance and used in different styles of music, I'd be willing to bet that growls would be tolerated (and even liked) by so many of those who are so quick to dismiss them.

I'd also be willing to bet that there are very few of us out there who hear growling vocals for the first time and think "man, this rules!". I know when I first heard them about 6 or 7 years ago I thought "there is no way I'm ever going to get into this" primarily because the vocals were SO different from any singing style I'd ever heard before, in addition to being so rough and raw sounding. But the more spins I gave by bands that used them, the more absorbed I became in the context in which the growls were used. Over time, many of my favorite all time bands have vocalists that utilize growls 50 to 100% of the time.

Give your musical pallet a true chance to absorb many differing styles of growls and the differing musical styles that utilize them. If after truly giving them a chance you realize that you'll just never be a fan of the singing style, then so be it, it is simply not for you.

Me? I couldn't stand Wine or Beer the first time I tried either one. Now? I still don't like Wine, but I love a good Beer. For some people it's ok if growling vocals are like Wine is to me, but I'd be willing to bet that the singing style would be to many to way beer is to me and they don't even know it because they took a few sips and decided "YUCK!".

Well.....I just got back from the Cryptopsy show in Atlanta yesterday, so it shouldn't be too hard to guess my stance on harsh vocals....^_^

I like pretty much all types of vocals, but for myself, I'll stick with regular singing....don't want to kill those vocal chords.

Originally posted by Dark One
How many people really enjoy Beer and Wine the first time they sip them? And yet how many of the same people now drink Beer and Wine like they are water???

Good analogy. I'm gonna use that against any friends that dislike growling vocals. I'll say "props to Dark One" after using it :lol:.

I definitely agree that death metal vox is an acquired taste. I think the best is when both growls and normal singing are incorporated into music, like Orphaned Land. Akerfeldt's aggresive parts in Ayreon's THE (Days 12, 21) add so much to the music too.

DementiaGuitar said:
Good analogy. I'm gonna use that against any friends that dislike growling vocals. I'll say "props to Dark One" after using it.

LOL. Thanks man, I just hope the logic influences some people to give more of a chance to and not quickly dismiss something that truly is an acquired taste.

Hell, there are all kinds of gems I would have missed out on if I judged them based on my initial reaction, whether it be in music, food or an infinite amount of other contexts.

DementiaGuitar said:
I definitely agree that death metal vox is an acquired taste. I think the best is when both growls and normal singing are incorporated into music, like Orphaned Land. Akerfeldt's aggresive parts in Ayreon's THE (Days 12, 21) add so much to the music too.

Absolutely agree. The growls don't need to be just "tolerable" (though in some cases "tolerable" is adequate). No, a terriffic death metal growler such as an Akerfeldt or a Kobi can actually enhance the music they are supplying the growls for. You gave a nice example with Ayreon there.

Jason from Philadelphia

ProgPower tickets = $99
Traveling expenses, including a possible train or plane plus hotel = around $400
Pre Party Ticket = $10

Having the opportunity of seeing Orphaned Land live two nights in a row, doing different sets = PRICELESS.

There are things that only ProgPower does for ya...

AngraRULES said:
ProgPower tickets = $99
Traveling expenses, including a possible train or plane plus hotel = around $400
Pre Party Ticket = $10

Having the opportunity of seeing Orphaned Land live two nights in a row, doing different sets = PRICELESS.

There are things that only ProgPower does for ya...
for everything else there's ________.

sex?
metal?
:loco: