Odin's Court Interview Parts 1, 2, & 3

Snowy Owl

OSA Co-founder
Sep 12, 2005
A tree in Middletown, PA
Hey everyone,

On March 16th, 2006, I sat down with Matt, Rick and John from Odin's Court after a great rehersal for their March 24th show at Jaxx Nightclub (which has already happened as of last night). The interview took place at Rick's house in Stewartstown, PA. They were funny, entertaining and very informative and we had plenty to talk about.

So, without further ado, Part 1 of the interview.

Happy reading!

Matthew Bankes-Independent metal journalist/reviewer

Matt Bankes: I guess we should start from the beginning…when did you all start to get into hard rock and metal music?
Matt: 1984. Van Halen 1984. I was young. Rick was probably already out of the Marines and college and all that, you know. He pretty much lived a full life by then.
Rick: That’s true
Matt: Yeah, about 1984, you know, Van Halen and then I went to Ozzy and Metallica and all that, Van Halen broke the ice for me.
John: I started with Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd…
Matt: He was around when they were still teenagers…
John: The early years!
Rick: I started in 6th grade, which I think would have been 1981, with AC/DC, then I moved on to Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Ozzy and Accept and that was my entry into the underground scene and then…Accept was really…I never really wanted to turn back…Metallica Kill ‘Em All, you know, Megadeth and hearing that was a rumor…so yeah.

MB: What made you want to do music for a living?
Matt: Still not doing it for a living (laughs), in fact I’m doing it negative for a living!
MB: Ok, for spare time, or just doing it period? I mean, what made you want to pick up a guitar, or pick up a pair of drumsticks?
Matt: Tom Petty…
MB: Tom Petty?
Matt: Actually the first thing I learned was “Free Falling”.(Rick makes a joke and to Rick, Matt says) It was easy! My friend had a guitar…actually the first thing I really learned was (Metallica song) “Welcome Home, Sanitarium”. Actually my mom had an old acoustic guitar that was at my grandparent’s house when we went to Florida one year, and it was strung for a left-handed person ‘cause my mom’s sister is left handed I learned on it. So I actually learned on a left-handed guitar for the first year, and then I switched…that’s why I suck so bad. I’m confused…I don’t know if I should do this or that so I just end up somewhere in between.
Rick: Actually it’s a pretty simple one (for me). I was 8 years old, my sister was babysitting me, she was taking guitar in high school and she needed something to keep her bratty brother busy, so my parents were out Christmas shopping, so she taught me the names of the strings, gave me a couple notes for each one, and a couple months later I was blowing her away! (Laughter all around) Then I guess it was about 5 years later that I started playing electric and just started really digging it all.
John: Well, I don’t know if I had any direct influences, I just liked drums and felt like I had a natural ability to do it so...
MB: …start out banging on pots and pans…
John: Yeah.
MB: Because that is basically how it all starts out, you know, we all like to hit things when we are kids..
Matt: He actually used a trash can lid, he was the original Lars St. Anger snare sound…That came from him.
Rick: There was a song that was defining for me, when “Dust In The Wind” was on the radio, from Kansas, I remember that really piqued my interest, so when she started teaching me in the guitar, I was like “I wanted to”.
Matt: But you still to this day can’t play it correctly…
Rick: Exactly. I never learned how to do finger picking.

MB: What was your first band you guys were in?

Matt: My first band was Dying Breed, that was what is was called because we…
Rick: …That was how they sounded…
Matt: …No, we were metal and we were the last, because, you know, the whole grunge thing was coming about so were sort of, a dying breed because we covered like, Metallica and Ozzy and Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath and all that good stuff, shut up Rick. And, you know, we sucked. We played a church “lock-in” and I learned the whole solo to “Fade To Black” and I thought it was so awesome, and then I heard the recording of it years later, and I was like “My God, that is embarrassing”. It was the most choppy, disjointed, piece of junk I ever heard. But, you know, we thought we were great.

Rick: I think my first band, unless you wanna count folk group in church (laughter all around)…that was in 6th grade…No, I think the first group I played in was a bunch of guys in high school and we were called Fusion. I was majorly into Slayer and all the thrashy, crunchy stuff back then, but you couldn’t really find people into that, so I was playing in a hair metal band doing Bon Jovi, Poison and Cinderella, Europe and all that good stuff.
Matt: And to this day, John wishes we were doing that kind of stuff.
Matt: Every time we say “John, let’s cover some Motley Crue” he gets so excited.
John: Oh yeah, I love hair bands!
Rick: Yeah, we do Motley Crue.
John: My first band was Sorcerer, we were kind of like a metal band.
MB: Cool name!
John: That was way back in high school.
Rick: …in LA!
Matt: Yeah, where did you play, though? You played in LA. He was part of the LA scene back in the heyday of the hair bands.
John: Grew up in Hollywood.
MB: Wow! That’s awesome! Exciting time, from what I hear.
Matt: You played in all those places too, right? Whiskey A Go-Go…
Rick: Did you play the Whiskey?
John: No, we didn’t play the…well…(laughs) That was way after, in my later years, but no. I never played the Whiskey. Played the Icehouse…
Matt: The Icehouse, huh?
John: They have good comedy there, now.
MB: Good beer!

MB: This is mainly for Matt and John…
Matt: Yeah, because Kenny G (referring to Rick), we don’t care what he has to say. Go play your alto sax!
MB: (laughs) So when and how did you form Odin’s Court?
Matt: Well originally, John wasn't even in the band, we were just a cover band. It was me and Scott (Adley), who was the original bass player who had just left, and a guy named Troy. We played covers and then we started doing originals and then our drummer at the time was kind of wishy-washy, and so we got John. We took off, and we started playing original music. But, you know, I was in a top 40 band at the time and I was sick of playing covers and I was ready to get back into the original thing. It was like, you know what, I don’t want to do this top 40 thing anymore. It might pay money, but I’d rather have fun.
John: Yeah, Matt and Scott kind of tricked me into joining the band because they said it would be…
Matt: Pulled him out of retirement.
John: was going to be a jeans and t-shirt, drinking beer band and that’s what…
Matt: That’s what Scott said. I never said that because I didn’t drink beer.
John: and next thing you know, we’re playing Jaxx.
MB: And it just grew from there, I guess.
Matt: I’m like “Alright guys, we’re going to be practicing almost every day this week, cause we’re opening for Symphony X in a couple of months."
MB: Wow!
Matt: And John, of course, was like "Who, where, what?" He was living under a rock from about 1985 to about 2003.

MB: How did you decide on the name “Odin’s Court”?
Rick: Yes, Matt. How?
Matt: Yes, well…
Rick: I’d like to hear this.
Matt: Would you? But you’re in the band…
MB: Is Rick interviewing you too?
Rick: Yes.
Matt: Well, um, honestly me and Scott and Troy sat around, we were batting around names. We each had a long list of stuff, and of course it’s always a big argument, what the name should be because you want it to sound cool, but you don’t want to sound too arrogant and all that, or you don’t want it to sound too goofy or whatever. But we wanted it to sound like a name that…
John: So you came up with Odin’s Court? (John and Rick laugh)
MB: I love that name!
Matt: I wrote it down, and it was more like I was thinking you know, like a group, where you don’t focus on one person, you know, like David Lee Roth or Steve Vai, you know like it’s a group, so it’s Odin’s Court. We’re all part of Odin’s Court. Not any one of us is Odin, of course. My name on message boards was Odin’s Court, people started me Odin, so that kind of defeated the whole purpose. But, also coincidentally it’s the name of a Black Sabbath song, but it has nothing to do with that song. But, that is a good song.
MB: Well, that’s cool. That’s really cool and I am kind of into Norse Mythology myself.
Matt: Well, there you go Rick. Does that satisfy you?
Rick: I didn’t realize that Black Sabbath also did “Vahalla”. Every time you say that I think of Manowar and Into Glory Ride, which is a great album.
Matt: No, I mean I took Latin for a year so I was always into Greek and Roman mythology, and of course I got into other types of mythology, and I thought Norse mythology was cool and that’s where I came up with Odin. Roman and Greek mythology is so common. Odin would be cool. It’s a group. Odin’s Court. I kind of beat that story to death so we will move on.
Rick: (To Matt) Would you shut up?

MB: Did anything influence your decision to play the type of metal music you do now, I mean did you wake up one day and say “Let’s do prog metal”?
(Rick and John hi-five each other and laugh)
Matt: Actually, that’s kind of funny…what’s that all about?
John: Oh, nothing.
Rick: He’s funny.
Matt: Well, before we move on and I answer that question…
John: That was a “visual” joke.
MB: (laughs)
John: You won’t get it.
Rick: Just think of Pink Floyd.
Matt: Actually…(Rick and John keep laughing) You guys are nuts. So anyway, in high school and stuff I was into the standard type of metal, we did like Iron Maiden and Metallica-type originals and then I got out of that and I wrote my own stuff which is more of a meshing of Pink Floyd and Maiden and Metallica, so in a way it was kind of progressive metal before I knew what progressive metal was. Then, when I got into this band it started out as more of a metal band but at the time I was really into progressive metal, and I was active on Dream Theater’s message board and I thought this seems like it would be an easier kind of market to break into than something like alternative where there’s all kinds of crap, and Rick laughs at me, but honestly it has been an easier market to break into because we’ve opened for national acts. If we had to try to break into something like…
Rick: That’s true, you know.
Matt: Alternative, I mean what are the chances we’d be opening for Puddle Of Mudd, or something? So, part of it was an interest, because I have always really been into layers. Even when I was in high school, and demos were recorded, and on the 8-track (recording machine) I’d be bouncing stuff down, you know, like 8 tracks to 1 track, 8 tracks to 1 track, over, over and over again. I always liked layers and I always liked complex rhythms and changing time signatures. So, it was just natural for me between all those different reasons to kind of get into this. Our original drummer was always like “It’s got a groove, it’s got a groove”, and I agree. That’s why I think our music is more flow and song oriented and less like Spiral Architect, it’s not like showing off a bunch of disjointed parts. It’s more like a song, and that’s my other side which is the whole Pink Floyd…I like groove and I like songs, but I also like complex stuff, so I thew them all together. Actually, some of the songs were songs that I wrote before we even had this band, like “Paradise Lost: Chapter 1 and 2” I actually recorded in 2000.
MB: I love that song.
Matt: I recorded that in my apartment in college in 2000. I layered everything, one thing at a time, on my computer. I made John and Scott learn it 3 weeks before we recorded it in the studio.
John: That was fun.

MB: Obviously Odin’s Court has had a few line-up changes. What difficulties have you encountered since the band started, and have that taught you any lessons?
Matt: Sure, definitely. I definitely learned personalities, and dealing with people more. One of the biggest criteria I have always had now is, before getting a new member is meeting the person and talking to them, and knowing them, because they can be the greatest musician in the world, but if I don’t get along with them, then I don’t want them in this band.
Rick: F*ck you, a**hole!
Matt: So, I mean, yeah, and there have been past members, both members who have actually gigged with us and members who might have played only 1 or 2 practices and didn’t work out. It taught me a lot as far as what to look for and I don’t wanna…
MB: You don’t have to mention any names, because I don’t want to stir up any bad blood.
Matt: Yeah, I’ve learned a lot from that. I think it’s definitely led to the line-up we have now, which I think is not only the most solid musically, but I think we all get along really well and have a lot of fun.

Stay tuned for more!

Apologies for any misquotes I may have made.

Snowy Owl said:
Glad you liked it! Worked really hard on it.

Part 2 coming soon! Watch this thread for more...

/me taps foot & waits patiently.

Perhaps Matt will get his revenge for Rick & John's quips......stay tuned!
:heh:

J-Dubya

Hello again,

Part 2 of the saga is ready to go up for your reading pleasure. In this part we learn what makes the Odin's Court musical machine run, what influences them musically and inspires the songwriting. We also get to know the guys a little more and have a few more laughs and choice quips and quotes to share. Once again, a fun interview!

Happy reading!

MB: The current line-up seems to be the best one yet. What is it like working with this current group of musicians?
Matt: I have to work harder, because they’re all so much better than me.
John: I agree.
Rick: (laughs)
Matt: What’s actually cool about that…he laughs and (to John) you joke, but all this music I always wrote, I wrote all this stuff, and didn’t always have musicians who could play it. Nothing against past people in the band, but a lot of times they weren’t as technical, you know. We have the groove and song oriented side, and the more technical and complex side. They were more on the one side, and I was kind of looking for “In the middle” somewhere. With this line-up, the stuff the write everyone can actually play. It’s just I can’t always (laughs)…. So I have to practice more because I throw something at Rick and he learns it, I throw something at Savino (Palumbo, keyboards) and he learns it, I throw something at Craig (Jackson, bass guitar) and he learns it, I throw something at John and he learns it. So it makes me work harder and I think it makes everyone work harder where we all end up better than we would on our own.
Rick: Absolutely, I agree with that.
Rick: If you are the best person in the band, you’re going to stagnate. This is a really unique mixture ‘cause everybody brings unique things to the table, different strong points and stuff like that. We all have to work harder to keep up with everybody else, which drives me…I mean, I can’t believe we played this Beethoven piece, I mean it’s just sick. I has really pushed us to…although you can’t print this interview before our (March 25th) show! (laughs)

MB: The new album, ReDriven By Fate seems to be the concept of the first two CD’s fully realized. How did you decide on that concept?
Matt: I don’t know, I guess my mind is just kind of weird!
Rick: That’s true.
Matt: You know that fine line between genius and insane? Well, I’m kinda insane (laughter all around). That’s how I came up with all that stuff. This whole album is kind of a crossroads for us, really, because ReDriven By Fate really says why…kind of like when Angra reformed and they had ‘ReBirth” you know, it’s kind of like the same concept. We have the songs on there that are from the first CD that are our stronger songs that we play out, and we redid them. They’ve been rearranged, different parts for all the instruments, more of a “live” approach, less layering as far as you know…10,000 guitars and all that. And redone vocal melodies and all that. The second half is an acoustic EP,which was kinda fun, we redid some of the songs in acoustic and there’s some solo pieces people just get to have a little fun with. Yeah, this CD was kind of a crossroads for us. It’s something we needed to do to get it out and give people something while we work on this next one, which we will probably start recording late this year because most of the album is written now and we’ve actually learned more than people in the band probably realize. We’re excited about the new CD, it’s definitely leaps and bounds above the last one, we’ve learned a lot.

MB: Driven By Fate was self produced and so is the new album. Did you look for an outside producer or did you want to produce it yourself?
Matt: I wanted to do it myself. First of all I didn’t know if we could afford someone who would be good enough. Second of all I didn’t know if we could find someone who could be good enough and who would be interested enough. We learned a lot the first time. On this one we did all our stuff, everything. The first one we recorded somewhere else, we mixed somewhere else, we mastered somewhere else. This one, we did all of that ourselves. We did all the sound engineering, everything, so it was definitely a learning process. It sounds better than the first one, I think, by leaps and bounds and the next one will sound even better because we learned so much, so we know what to do and what not to do and all that good stuff. And, it saved us a lot of money.

MB: What influences your writing style…books, movies, albums that you’ve heard?
Matt: Sure, on the CD there are two things based on literary works. “His Dark Materials” is based on a trilogy by Phillip Pullman called His Dark Materials…it’s kind of like a mesh of all three books (Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass). Paradise Lost is by John Milton…it’s an epic poem. To me, It’s always been something that I learned in 11th grade when I had British Lit, which was my favorite subject in high school. It was an awesome, romantic era.
Rick: (in British accent) Shakespeare?
Matt: This is a lot older.
MB: To metal or not to metal, that is the question.
Matt: Musically, I have a whole bunch of (influences), I mean, you made a joke earlier about Lionel Ritchie, but I have a whole gamut of things I like, you know, all the way from the whole Motown thing to the whole hippie thing as Rick calls it with Pink Floyd, and metal with Metallica and Iron Maiden. I like country…Blackhawk, Alabama, I like pretty much everything…Blues, BB King, Muddy Watters…I like everything so all that kind of contributes. I like classical, that’s where I get a lot of the layers and rhythms…
Rick: …counterpoint.
Matt: Counterpoint…Yeah, actually my writing has a lot of classical influences. I took theory in high school and I have a lot of that stuff in there.

MB: Name off a few bands that have influenced you the most.
Matt: Boston, Pink Floyd, Journey, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Yanni…Yes, I said Yanni. Yanni is one of my favorites of all time. Everyone go buy Yanni. I don’t really listen to a lot of new things for influences, in fact, I don’t even listen to a lot of new music. If Rick didn’t force me to, I probably wouldn’t listen to a lot of stuff I do listen to ‘cause I tend to like older stuff. Nothing against bands like Circus Maximus, you know, some of these new prog bands, you know. That’s cool, but I’m into older stuff, and new stuff which is not metal. I actually like everything.
Rick: I guess I can definitely safely say that Metallica and Iron Maiden were huge influences, Yngwie Malmsteen was huge at some point. Once I started getting into the proggier stuff it was Rush, Fates Warning, Dream Theater, Symphony X. If I was contributing to the writing…what kind of riffs would come out…
Matt: He’s not allowed to write.
Rick:…but you know, solos and stuff like that would probably come from that mish-mash.
Matt: And just for the record, John has done some writing. On the new CD (upcoming album) “Anamaulic”, actually, he was a big contributor. For the new stuff I have been trying to get people to contribute more besides just me, so, anyway…carry on.
John: Well, I have to go way back because I’m older. Have to start with the older guys because I’m an older guy. John Bonham, Neal Peart…some of the newer guys…Mike Portnoy and some one you probably don’t even know…Dave Weckell, he’s a jazz guy. Awesome drummer. Rush, Genesis…
Matt: Yes (the band).
John: Yes. Of course.
Matt: Yes and Rush are the two I hear the most in your playing.
John: And Symphony X. Shhh!!!
MB: Since you are a Yes fan, I guess you like drummers like Alan White…
John: And Bill Bruford.
Matt: Since you are a Yes fan you probably like the album Talk, because that was their best album.
Rick: That’s not Yes! (laughs)
MB: The only Yes album I have is 90125, and that’s a pretty good album.
Matt: It is, but Talk is better! It blows away their old stuff.
Rick: Fragile is good.
Matt: Yeah, John you rock.
The saga continues soon! Stay tuned!:headbang:

Great to hear you like the interview so far. The rest could be finished as early as tomorrow as I have been working almost every chance I get, while I sit suspended above a pen of hungry sharks.

Can we re-title the thread "Odin's Court Interview Parts 1 & 2" for right now? I tried myself but had no luck.

Snowy Owl said:
Great to hear you like the interview so far. The rest could be finished as early as tomorrow as I have been working almost every chance I get, while I sit suspended above a pen of hungry sharks.

Can we re-title the thread "Odin's Court Interview Parts 1 & 2" for right now? I tried myself but had no luck.
Hey Matt! Awesome work! Thanks! I just about pissed myself a couple of times though! That's what you get for interviewing us after midnight on a weekday! :lol:

Can you believe that matt actually considers "Talk" to be Yes?!?!?! And worse yet... better than Fragile??!?!?! We're revoking his prog license tomorrow for that statement! :p

Can't wait for the rest!

BTW, I did take care of the title change for you.

Rick Pierpont said:
Hey Matt! Awesome work! Thanks! I just about pissed myself a couple of times though! That's what you get for interviewing us after midnight on a weekday! :lol:

Can you believe that matt actually considers "Talk" to be Yes?!?!?! And worse yet... better than Fragile??!?!?! We're revoking his prog license tomorrow for that statement! :p

Can't wait for the rest!

BTW, I did take care of the title change for you.

Thanks for taking care of it for me :)

I guess the "prog police" are going to Matt's as we speak to arrest him for the comment about Talk. :lol:

Tonight! The final chapter in the Odin's Court saga! Watch this space!:headbang:

Hello my friends,

Well, part 3 of the saga is finished! In the final chapter of this interview we talk about the DVD shoot at Jaxx, talk about the band's best and worst gigs, their opinion on the state of metal in the USA, and a little taste of what their upcoming concept album will be about. Plus, we talk about Matt's experience with a drunken fan who had...well, a handful! :lol: :lol:

Happy reading!

MB: The DVD shoot: I know you are excited about that. Why did you decide to do not just a video but a DVD, and why at Jaxx?
Rick: What?
MB: The DVD shoot.
Matt: Shhh…I haven’t told them yet, they still think it is a regular show.
Rick: (laughs)
Matt: Because Jaxx is kind of like our home away from home, I guess. We probably do better there than anywhere as far as draw. You got D.C., Richmond, Northern Virginia in general is just huge, and Maryland. We have people coming from Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey and South Carolina and West Virginia…all over the place.
Rick: It’s the premier club on the East Coast!
Matt: It is the premier club on the East Coast, yes. Jaxx and BB King’s are the only two that always get every band in our genre and the power metal genre. There are others, The Vic, The Agora, House Of Blues…they get ‘em. Jaxx and BB King’s always get it. So, of course Jaxx is very well known in our community, and we do well there. They actually asked us to headline a show and I thought “Well, we’ve never done that there before, that would be interesting. What could we do to make it special?” to get a good turn out and really promote it for our first headlining show. I thought a DVD would be kind of cool so we looked into that and it’s very expensive. But, we’re doing it anyway.
John: It’s only debt.
Matt: It’s only debt.
Rick: So buy it, dammit!

MB: You guys have opened up for some great bands like Symphony X, Helloween, Sonata Arctica, King’s X, Seven Witches, Funny Money…the list goes on. Did any of the bands share any advice with you which has helped you out?
Matt: Yeah, actually. Of course, Steve Whiteman (Ex-Kix and current Funny Money frontman) is my vocal coach, so he had been the most helpful out of everyone because I see him every other week, actually for I while I saw him every week. He’s been very cool. He gives all kinds of advice and any question you ask him…he will give you years of knowledge more so than any other band we’ve opened for. They were actually doing stadiums for a living big time, which is a different perspective of course. And then, Symphony X actually, Mike Lepond (bass player) was very cool and very helpful. Very cool guy, and not only because of talking to him at the show. He listened to our CD, he e-mailed and you know, gave nice compliments. Devin Townsend was pretty cool. Most of the other bands, you know, they do their thing. A lot of times they just play, they don’t really talk, they don’t really hang out.
MB: Could be a language barrier.
Matt: Yeah, but Symphony X was very cool, King’s X was very cool, Funny Money was very cool. Not anything against European power metal bands, but they tended to be the ones…I don’t know if that’s a language thing, but they tended to be the ones who hung out on their bus, took a long time soundchecking, went back to their bus, played, went back to their bus, didn’t talk to anyone. It just seems to be all the ones that we’ve opened with Europe, power metal, that’s how they were. The ones from America, or the more prog rock, seemed to be a little more friendly towards the little guy.
MB: Could be more of an “ugh, Americans!” sort of thing…
Matt: Could be that too, but you know, if they feel that way they probably shouldn’t be here playing.
Rick: To get our money.

MB: This is more of a three part question…
Matt: A Trilogy! An opus!
MB: What in your opinion was your best live gig?
Matt: My favorite one so far, probably to date has been…I don’t know if I can pick one, but Symphony X was good because that was our first big one. It had this whole magical feel to it, we really practiced a lot up to that, we were really on top of our game, and it was fun. King’s X, I think, was when we really started to open up with our stage presence and break out. Of course, our most recent gig, which was not really opening for anyone at Mac’s…that was really where we, stage performance, hit the next level I think, finally. As far as the feeling of “Wow! Holy Cow!” was probably Devin Townsend and Symphony X. It was a sold-out show, we were playing on a big stage…nationals for the first time.
Rick: Next Friday is going to be it.
Matt: Yeah, I can’t say that! I was talking about the past…I don’t have a time machine so I can’t go to the future and predict how I’ll feel…I assume I’ll feel a certain way.
Rick: So far, out of our gigs I’ve played in with this band, I really felt that Mac’s and the Braddock were some of our best shows…
John: Braddock’s was good.
Matt: (with a slow, unsure drawl) Braddock’s was good.
Rick: We got very well received there, it was a good feeling.
John: Different.
(At this point we ramble off about how late it is!)
Matt: So, Rick’s predicting the future, I was going with past gigs, but I agree with him. I do think DVD one will be the best, but I can’t say that. Ask me next Friday.
John: I’ll have to agree with Matt. Symphony X was a highlight as far as the band’s career, Braddock Inn…that was a weird gig but it turned out so well. Great audience. Hopefully the DVD should turn out very well.
Matt: I hear they’re turning that place into a Starbucks (Braddock Inn).

MB: Worst gig?
All almost in unison: Kamelot.
Matt: Not because of the way we sounded, well…
Rick: There was a tuning issue…
Matt: There was a tuning issue because they gave us…
Rick: 10 minutes…
Matt: No, 10 SECONDS…like, after your line check…guitar…one!…OK…good!…guitar two…Ok…good!…Keyboard!…OK!…Snare!…Kick!….vocal…go! (imitating angry club owner) “GUYS IF YOU DON’T START NOW, YOU DON’T HAVE A SET!” Ok! Then they cut us short from 45 to 27 minutes. People said we sounded great out front and there were a lot of people who never heard us before who were very excited and got into us from that gig. So, apparently we didn’t sound too bad. It just was very nerve racking…
Rick: Yeah, it was not fun.
Matt: I mean, normally when you do that kind of thing…it is nerve racking, but this was even more so. This was to the point of “ughh!” Again, European power metal bands! Yes, two of the guys are from Florida, but they have the European power metal band mentality. In general, some places, what tends to happen is the local headliner or sub-headliner gets penalized when things run over because the headliner…bottom line…will not be penalized. If things fall behind for whatever reason, technical difficulties, bands dragging their feet, stage catches on fire, fan has to be taken out on an ambulance, whatever it is, the band who goes on before the headliner usually is the one who is hurt the most…because they go on before the headliner and they’re the only person who gets their time cut, because you gotta make sure the headliner gets all their time, which happens to us quite often. It happened to us at Mac’s, happened to us at Jaxx… It happens all over the place.
Rick: At Mac’s we were the headliner, what’s up with that? (laughs)

MB: What was the funniest thing to ever happen to you guys on stage?
Matt: A moment that wasn’t funny was when Rick knocked my Les Paul over at Fat Daddy’s in Pennsylvania. That wasn’t very funny.
Rick: It was just a Les Paul, come on!
Matt: Oh, I do have something, well, I don’t know if it’s funny. We played this place in Waldorf, Maryland called Memories, which is basically a biker bar, It smells like stale smoke but that’s beside the point. We’re playing, and we’re on stage and there’s this girl there. We’re progressive so we have a lot of odd times and changes, it’s not just 4/4. So, this girl is dancing to these songs as they change times, I don’t know how she does it. That was funny, but then she came on stage and started “grinding” on me, and everyone in the band thought it was funny. They started egging her on, you know, Craig (Moran, Ex-keyboards) and John and Scott…and of course I’m like “uhhh”…and she just reaches around and grabs my crotch, and that’s where I drew the line, I was like “Whoah! Hello!” and they started laughing…
Rick: (in falsetto) Ahhhh!!!
Matt: And Scott, there’s actually a picture of her behind me, and Scott loved that picture. He printed it out, he put on his Odin’s Court binder that he keeps his sheet music in, and he thinks that picture is hilarious because I was so irritated.

MB: The current state of metal in the United States, can you give us your opinion on that?
Matt: I think it’s going up, I think it’s on the rise. I mean, you got bands like Coheed & Cambria and Avenged Sevenfold who are very weird and different from your normal…pop metal if you will, you know, like alternative and modern rock kind of feeling stuff. That’s kinda cool, they’re on the rise. There’s still bands…I know some people will say Bon Jovi’s not metal but in a sense the kind of are and there are still bands like that who headline. If you are talking newer stuff…I mean, I know people don’t like “nu-metal” and I’m not quite sure what nu-metal is anyway…
MB: Limp Bizkit.
Matt: Yeah, but stuff like that’s been headlining stadiums. Kid Rock is at the MCI Center (in Washington D.C.) I think the same night we are doing our DVD show, of course he’s “country” now…Disturbed…There’s plenty of bands out there that I think are pretty cool now…Like Tool. Tool is a great example. They’re an enigma wrapped in a riddle wrapped in a mystery. They’re complex, they have odd times, they’re very unique, very strange yet they play these huge stadiums and sell ‘em out.
Rick: That’s how popular they are.
Matt: Yeah, they play them on the radio. So, in a sense, a lot of it is huge. It’s a great market right now. But for us, prog metal, you’re talking about a niche inside of a niche, I mean we’re like a small community and, you know, we might not be as proggy as Dream Theater at times…at other times we are, but, you know I think we have a harder time because we appeal to a smaller sub-set of the metal community. Rather than just “metal” OK…Disturbed…people in prog like it, people in power like it, people in pop like it, maybe they don’t but they appeal to a wider audience.
Rick: I think the whole prog/power thing is on the rise, though, because of bands like Avenged Sevenfold. They’re kind of proggy and powerish, they’re bringing elements of Helloween and Iron Maiden into mainstream music that 12 and 13 year olds are digging. Then you got Gigantour where you have Dream Theater and Symphony X…like whoa! What’s that? I’m hearing there’s a rumor that Dream Theater might be playing Ozzfest this year…just a rumor, but that’s huge to me.
Matt: And Strapping Young Lad is playing Ozzfest this year. Ozzfest, second stage, they usually have some pretty cool bands.
Rick: Dream Theater obviously wouldn’t be second stage. Lacuna Coil is playing there this year…
Matt: They played last year, too.
Rick: But you see stuff like that. ProgPower festival…
Matt: That’s true too. Bands like Lacuna Coil and all those bands that are heavier like that from Europe. There’s that whole offshoot…what’s that called…mallcore? That whole death vocal, power metal thing is kind of on the rise.
MB: Metalcore.
Matt: Yeah, that kind of thing really seems to be on the rise.
MB: Like Shadows Fall, Trivium, bands like that.
Matt: Yeah! All of that stuff.
Rick: Guitar solos are coming back in vogue.
MB: I know, thank God!
John: Actually, I’m still being exposed to some of this stuff. Like Matt said, I was literally almost under a rock. After listening to some of these newer bands, well, new to me…it’s very exciting.
Matt: He said something to me one day. “How did I miss this stuff man, this is great!”

MB: You said you were working on songs for a new concept album. I cannot wait for that. Can you give the readers a little taste of what we can expect?
Matt: Sure. It’s basically going to be a concept album about despite all the great advances that the human race has made, technology, advances in medicine…there are still all these shortcomings that we still have as a species. Each song will have a theme, but they all kind of tie into that. The order will all kind of build, and the artwork, I got some stuff laid out and planned out which I was telling John about earlier. We’re shooting for 8-10 songs, total of about 70 minutes plus. There will be a pseudo cover song on there, which we will be playing at the DVD show, which is kinda cool, put a little flavor on an old song.
John: So pay attention.
Matt: We are playing some of these songs out. I’d say about 95 percent of it is written, but that doesn’t mean it’s finalized. We learn it, I have all the sheet music drawn up, and I present it to the band and we learn it. We go through it and you know, you might do some things a little different here or there, you might change some stuff, or you might decide something’s no good and you scrap it. Most of it’s written, the foundation is there, probably about 40-50 percent of it is realized. We’ve been playing out 4 of those songs now. We’re on our way.

MB: Can each of you give a closing statement for the people who will be reading this interview?
Matt: I think that it’s really cool that you’re doing this, and there are people out there who are interested in bands like us. We’re slowly gaining a following around the Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, D.C. area. Globally, I guess we’re kind of slightly known in very small pockets. The Internet’s been a great resource. It’s kinda cool that there our people out there who give unsigned bands the time to check ‘em out, to support, to buy their shirts and their CD’s and to go to their shows. That’s pretty cool, to let us kind of experience our dream, have fun, get away from our day job, and escape. And, I think it’s really cool that you’re doing this, I mean, you drove down to do this. We appreciate it and it’s very cool.
Rick: Closing statement from Rick…
Matt: I AM NOT KENNY G!
Rick: Yes, I am not Kenny G. I agree with Matt, I do think it is cool that you are doing this because it’s a sign. It actually starts to answer one of your earlier questions…What’s the state of metal? We’re discovering more and more people like you through doing this and it’s just a really good feeling. You realize that wow, there are people that really enjoy music and metal in general and are willing to, you know, enjoy it to the point where you’ll support it. A lot of people whine “why doesn’t this band play here, or this band play there” and that’s like…because America is so spread out, that it’s hard for prog and power metal to be big. But when people like you come out to support bands like us, especially if we are opening for a national or doing our own thing, it really does validate that this genre is real and it’s growing, and that there is a chance for Americans yet.
Matt: Americans have crappy taste in music.
MB: I agree.
John: Well, this has all been a great experience for me. I’d like to thank the fans, of course, because I can’t believe people are watching us! (laughs) It’s incredible! And of course our families for putting up with us.
Matt: Yeah, that’s a good point, especially since I’m the bank for the band. I’d like to thank Nicki for not beating me up for spending lots of money. I’m the bank that gives the band the loans.
John: Yeah, Matt has been putting a lot of personal money into this and we try to work it off for him. He cracks the whip, so we jump (laughs). And thank you, Matt (me).

The End

Once again, a big thanks to the band for this interview! It was a lot of fun and it was a great learning experience, and I'd like to think I have made some new friends too! :headbang:

It was worth it, man! To quote the back of this Slaughter t-shirt I have "If it ain't hard it ain't worth a F*CK!"

Now I begin phase two of my trying to help (i.e. getting some radio airplay on my friend's metal show and on BEC's online radio station). I think I may have sent a mail about that. You have been so great I am making a point of going out of my way for you all.:kickass:

I am extremely happy that everyone enjoyed this interview. Even a buddy of mine from Finland dropped by after hearing some of the music and liking what he heard. Mick Wall or Malcolm Dome it isn't, but it's not bad for a novice.

Thanks! Hope it won't be the last time!

I'll be taking a break from this forum for a while because I have my own issues on my Nightwish forum, but I hope I didn't make you all sick of me. :) Of course, I'll still be by if you aren't sick of me yet.

Now I gotta get to work on my own site so I can spread the word about great metal in the Northeast! :headbang:

Snowy Owl said:
I am extremely happy that everyone enjoyed this interview. Even a buddy of mine from Finland dropped by after hearing some of the music and liking what he heard. Mick Wall or Malcolm Dome it isn't, but it's not bad for a novice.

Thanks! Hope it won't be the last time!

I'll be taking a break from this forum for a while because I have my own issues on my Nightwish forum, but I hope I didn't make you all sick of me. :) Of course, I'll still be by if you aren't sick of me yet.

Now I gotta get to work on my own site so I can spread the word about great metal in the Northeast! :headbang:
Yes, i know I did. It was great doing it and just as fun reliving it through written word. Very cool! Always good to be known internationally! :) Dude, it was fine!

For the Beethoven? Most definitely not!

Matt, you are welcome here any time you want! Its been great that you've been hanging around here! Don't go away too long!

Thanks again for your hard work and enthusiasm!

OdinsCourt said:
Yes. 9th Symphony - kind of an overture arranged for 2 guitars, keys, bass, and drums/percussion. Quite fun! :)

Cool, I'd like to hear that! Especially after hearing how much of a pita it was for Rick to learn.

J-Dubya

Snowy Owl said:
I am extremely happy that everyone enjoyed this interview. Even a buddy of mine from Finland dropped by after hearing some of the music and liking what he heard.
Heh, that'd be me you're talking about Matt - didn't know I was that famous :lol: You did great job with the interview, it was fun to read.

But seriously, before I knew that Matt (Snowy) had made this interview with you guys, I had listened to Odin's Court a couple of times at myspace.com and really liked your music and style. Keep it coming. It is always good to find out that there are people and bands also in the good old USA who have the flame burning and who keep making decent melodic metal for the sake of music and talent. :headbang:

St Enigma said:
Heh, that'd be me you're talking about Matt - didn't know I was that famous :lol: You did great job with the interview, it was fun to read.

But seriously, before I knew that Matt (Snowy) had made this interview with you guys, I had listened to Odin's Court a couple of times at myspace.com and really liked your music and style. Keep it coming. It is always good to find out that there are people and bands also in the good old USA who have the flame burning and who keep making decent melodic metal for the sake of music and talent. :headbang:

Yep...that's you my friend! Thanks for the compliments and you rock for taking the time to check them out. The signatures on my sig are doing some good!

Also be sure to check out Rising Forces USA for all the best in independent metal...the site is being built and will be up before you know it! I am happy that bands like Odin's Court have given me their time and have taken me seriously with this. It truly makes me feel happy! One person can make a difference! :headbang: