Odin's Court OWN

waif

Sep 7, 2007
Montreal
This'll be my first (and probably last) post on this subforum, but...

Saw them the other night at the knitting factory in NY. They were awesome. At first everyone else was at the bar, I was the only one standing and watching, I was like a foot from stage. It was great because I could watch Matt and Rick's fingers. Rick's solos in particular were awe-inspiring - his hands move insanely fast.
I'd never heard of Odin's Court before that gig, but I picked up the album, shirt, and DVD. I also hung out with them, chatted (the keyboardist likes In Flames, :kickass:) and got my shirt signed and stuff.
The rest of the gig was killer to.
Anyhow, :kickass:

This'll be my first (and probably last) post on this subforum, but...
Well, hopefully you'll come around and participate from time to time, but even if this is your only post, we really do appreciate your feedback!!! :)

Saw them the other night at the knitting factory in NY. They were awesome. At first everyone else was at the bar, I was the only one standing and watching, I was like a foot from stage. It was great because I could watch Matt and Rick's fingers. Rick's solos in particular were awe-inspiring - his hands move insanely fast.
I'd never heard of Odin's Court before that gig, but I picked up the album, shirt, and DVD. I also hung out with them, chatted (the keyboardist likes In Flames, :kickass:) and got my shirt signed and stuff.
The rest of the gig was killer to.
Anyhow, :kickass:
Thanks so much! We had a fun time at the gig, and it was a pleasure to meet you and chat with you. Hopefully we'll get back up your way some time (by your way I mean Boston ;)).

METAL!

you remember :kickass:
The album is really cool, now that I've had time to listen to it fully. Gonna watch the DVD tonight.
I like that the vocals are strong - I'm bored of operatic or effeminate vocals in prog. Nothing against them, but a little power is nice. Also, I like the lyrics. Plenty of bands write about the environment and the destruction of the planet etc but very few actually discuss it intelligently.
And of course the music is also really cool. I hear a new album is in the works. Can't wait.

PS: that adaptation of Ode To Joy was really nice, and it's cool to have something I can show to my dad (a big classical fan) that won't make him wince.

Hey Joe!

Glad that you stopped by and shared your experience with us! I'm really glad that you enjoyed our show so much! I think its awesome that you got the CD, shirt (which I do remember signing), and DVD! Thanks for your support!

Really happy that you like the CD and vocals so much too! I think the vocals really fit the mood of the CD and to its dark nature. And since you have likely watched the DVD by now, you got to see the VERY first time we ever played Ode to Joy! We learned it just for the DVD shoot (a couple weeks before too)!

Question... since you are from the Boston area, did you come to NYC just for the show or did you happen to be around?

Its obvious that you are no stranger to the Ultimate Metal forums -- so don't be a stranger! It will be interesting to hear what you have to say after you've listened to Deathanity a bunch of times. We also have a thread about favorite song on the CD, so please participate in that!

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

I was actually up in NY visiting NYU, but I chose that weekend because there was a show in town. Really glad I did.

The DVD is fantastic. The interplay between the guitars really comes out live, and the sound is great. The performance was really tight overall. My favorite part was probably Animaulic - Manifest Destiny, but really the whole thing was great. It was cool to see His Dark Materials on there; I remember hearing Matt announce it live and thinking it was awesome because I've always felt that there's some great material in those books for a song.
I thought that performance of Ode To Joy was great, by the way. You all seemed very confident playing it.

hey man, were you the one with the Jester Race shirt? That album is killer! Clayman is my personal favorite though. Do you listen to Opeth as well?

I do listen to Opeth, I saw them on the progressive nation tour. They were great, although I actually thought they were upstaged by 3, who just blew me away.
Opeth's new one is very cool. My friend got the vinyl 2LP and we had some fun with it; Akerfeldt's vocals sound really goofy at 45 RPM and it was cool playing the backmasked part backwards (it's just some satanic stuff they did for fun). I thought the acoustic guitar solo where they detuned the guitar while playing was quite neat. My overall favorite from them is My Arms, Your Hearse, but I only have MAYH, Still Life, Damnation, Blackwater Park, and Watershed. (Damnation was a cool experiment but I don't think it worked; it felt like they were forcing themselves to stay acoustic when there were parts that demanded the power of an electric guitar).

I'm a huge fan of Akerfeldt's vocals, which has gotten me into Bloodbath and Katatonia as well.

As for In Flames, yeah, that was me. My favorite IF release is probably Subterranean, but I think Clayman is my favorite full-length. It's extremely catchy and upbeat, which I love. I also seem to be among a very small number of people that really likes the last 2 albums.

you remember :kickass:
The album is really cool, now that I've had time to listen to it fully. Gonna watch the DVD tonight.
I like that the vocals are strong - I'm bored of operatic or effeminate vocals in prog. Nothing against them, but a little power is nice. Also, I like the lyrics. Plenty of bands write about the environment and the destruction of the planet etc but very few actually discuss it intelligently.
And of course the music is also really cool. I hear a new album is in the works. Can't wait.

PS: that adaptation of Ode To Joy was really nice, and it's cool to have something I can show to my dad (a big classical fan) that won't make him wince.
Wow, thanks for all the kind words! :) It's always nice to hear after the thousands of hours of work we pour into a project like this. Glad you like the lyrics too - the subject can easily seem pretentious, so I'm glad we came across as intended - intelligent musings on the state of people and the earth.

It's especially nice to hear positive feedback on the vocals. They are different, which is something I wanted for this band from the beginning. So I don't expect everyone to like them. They weren't always so refined though, so I'm glad you got introduced to us with this album. I went through some growing pains "finding my voice". With that said, I can't imagine our music with typical operatic vocals - to me it would seem out of place. I'm redoing ReDriven by Fate right now and should be done some time soon.

Yep, we're writing the new album now! Writing is well on it's way, and we're coming up with some cool stuff! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I was actually up in NY visiting NYU, but I chose that weekend because there was a show in town. Really glad I did.

The DVD is fantastic. The interplay between the guitars really comes out live, and the sound is great. The performance was really tight overall. My favorite part was probably Animaulic - Manifest Destiny, but really the whole thing was great. It was cool to see His Dark Materials on there; I remember hearing Matt announce it live and thinking it was awesome because I've always felt that there's some great material in those books for a song.
I thought that performance of Ode To Joy was great, by the way. You all seemed very confident playing it.
Awesome! Glad you like it! We put a lot of work into that too (we did it all ourselves - planning, promotion, coordination, editing, mixing, etc.). We had someone else master it and obviously we had a film crue do the shooting, as we couldn't be two places at once. :zombie:

You're familiar with the His Dark Materials series? What do you think of them? They are quite possibly my favorite series. Lord of the Rings is obviously top notch, but both writers are so amazing at their craft!

His Dark Materials kinda got me into fantasy, actually. I was always a big reader, so people would give me books, and I received at least 4 copies of The Golden Compass. I thought they were great books in that children can read them, but they stand up to an older audience. My overall favorite series is probably George R.R. Martin's A Song Of Fire And Ice, and I'm also a fan of both Jordan's The Wheel Of Time (he can't write, but he can plot like no one else) and Terry Goodkind's The Sword Of Truth (more of an adult fantasy series, more philosophical than most).

I agree. I was actually surprised when I found out HDM is a young adult series, as I can't think of any topic heavier or more mature than religion, contemplation of our purpose existence, love, etc.

I've been meaning to read TWoT series - I've heard great things about it. I'll have to check them out. I'm not familiar with Goodkind's TSoT - I'll look into that one too. Thanks!

You guys ever read The Dark Tower by Stephen King? I think it's the best fantasy series ever written, and he's not even known as a fantasy author. I do really like the Song Of Ice And Fire series too, I was dissapointed to see that A Dance With Dragons has been delayed until April next year.

I agree. I was actually surprised when I found out HDM is a young adult series, as I can't think of any topic heavier or more mature than religion, contemplation of our purpose existence, love, etc.

I've been meaning to read TWoT series - I've heard great things about it. I'll have to check them out. I'm not familiar with Goodkind's TSoT - I'll look into that one too. Thanks!
If you're going to read the Wheel of Time, there are a few things you have to know.
First off, the series is over 10,000 pages and still going (one more book)
Secondly, it has more plot threads than the average human has neural connections, so the only way to remember stuff (which is important) is to read straight through.
Finally, it doesn't bother me, but many people complain about Jordan's writing style. He does use the same phrases quite often and have characters perform similar fidgety actions a lot sometimes...there was a WoT drinking game I found online that made good use of this.

That said, the books are enjoyable but they're not particularly deep. I would only recommend it for a fan of fantasy. There's no philosophical undertones like in HDM or The Sword of Truth, and no dark and realistic portrayal of humanity as in A Song Of Fire And Ice.

Another series I'm a fan of is Marion Zimmer Bradley's novels dealing with the myths surrounding King Arthur and Avalon. The Mists Of Avalon really shows the King Arthur story as it was meant to be, as a struggle between the forces of paganism and Christianity, rather than the kid's version that shows up in most movies. It always pisses me off when I see Mordred portrayed as a psychotic villain.

@Mr. Bungle: I haven't read the Dark Tower series, but if a fellow Song Of Fire And Ice fan is telling me it's his favorite series I'll definitely give it a go.

@Mr. Bungle: I haven't read the Dark Tower series, but if a fellow Song Of Fire And Ice fan is telling me it's his favorite series I'll definitely give it a go.

Cool, just be warned that the first book is kinda slow and strange, he wrote it very early in his career, it gets much, much better though.

I do listen to Opeth, I saw them on the progressive nation tour. They were great, although I actually thought they were upstaged by 3, who just blew me away.
Opeth's new one is very cool. My friend got the vinyl 2LP and we had some fun with it; Akerfeldt's vocals sound really goofy at 45 RPM and it was cool playing the backmasked part backwards (it's just some satanic stuff they did for fun). I thought the acoustic guitar solo where they detuned the guitar while playing was quite neat. My overall favorite from them is My Arms, Your Hearse, but I only have MAYH, Still Life, Damnation, Blackwater Park, and Watershed. (Damnation was a cool experiment but I don't think it worked; it felt like they were forcing themselves to stay acoustic when there were parts that demanded the power of an electric guitar).

I'm a huge fan of Akerfeldt's vocals, which has gotten me into Bloodbath and Katatonia as well.

As for In Flames, yeah, that was me. My favorite IF release is probably Subterranean, but I think Clayman is my favorite full-length. It's extremely catchy and upbeat, which I love. I also seem to be among a very small number of people that really likes the last 2 albums.

MAYH is also my favorite Opeth album, as you might have seen in my Top Ten. I actually did like Damnation though.

Yeah man, Damnation was a great album. MAYH is great too, but I think Blackwater Park or Still Life take the top spot for me.

Damnation has some very good songs but doesn't work as something I can actively listen to. I throw it on in the background all the time, though. Opeth are fantastic for that.

Not only is Odins Court a good band, they're class act guys!

Matt, if you're into fantasy authors check out George RR Martin's "A Song Of Ice & Fire" and Gene Wolfe's "The Book Of The New Sun", probably the two greatest in the genre imo.