Odin's Court Review Thread

No-Mercy

Feanor
Nov 4, 2004
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
www.myspace.com
well, no homework this week (last days before break) so thought id go ahead and start this up. just to review and give opinions on anything "odins court" related.

this may be quite a long read (my post anyway) so find some time :D (you may have already read the first 3 song reviews though)

Songs I've Heard

His Dark Materials
-very awesome. i really like the music, just after the intro where the keyboards come in, very well put together. i like how the drums keep you on suspense, kinda like, waiting for that next beat all the time. i will also say the solo kicks supremely huge ass! then when the harmony comes in, aah that's what im talking about. then the time change after it, a slower part, then lead comes in. very very cool.

Utopian Rust
-i like that guitar riff alot to start the song. and then how the drums and 2nd guitar hit on the 1st note, 2 times, then the 3rd time instead of letting the cymbals/2nd guitar ring out you stop it, i liked that alot. then, the verses got me on this song, i really liked them. it sounds very emotional filled, then the bridge inbetween them and the 1st/2nd solo, that is really really cool. i like the transfer from it back to the verses. the end, i love how the intro riff repeats and changes up at the end to give it that BOOM ending, like on the edge.

Paradise Lost: Chapter 1 (acoustic)
-i love this song. ive always been a huge fan of acoustic song such as these. with a lead going off. then the singer's always perform amazingly on these types song, as is done here. i love the vocals here!!! aah yes, kick ass! the guitar really gets me, especially, like i already said, when the lead goes off into a solo over the rhythm. then that sudden stop around 148, that rules. it's unexpected, and i love it when a song goes somewhere else than what im thinking. yep, then there comes that solo again...an awesome sound indeed. PAARAADIIIIIISE IS LOOOOAAOOSST! yes, yes, yes, i want more! i like that part alot.

Paradise Lost: Chapter 3
-oh lord, where to start? perhaps the beginning...:tickled: well, the intro is awesome...the keyboard melody (well whatever its name is), is VERY moving, as well as the guitar backing. the drums are very cool, i like the little time changes. i also noticed the progression in this song is extremely well put together, it just keeps flowing but hammering on. and, wait...yes...here it is!! SOLO ENTRY!! renene enene renene enen DDUUUUUNN!!! (guitar in back), oh shit. fuck yes, this solo is AWESOME!! ooh here it goes up, ah yes!! its a truly awesome awesome solo with awesome backing. oh man, its one of those that gimme the chills when i hear it. its a very very amazing, again, great progession, solo. really, really these are the 2 paradist lost's ive heard and both are my 2 favorite from yall- awesome

Shadow Dust
-the beginning is very touching...i quite enjoy the "echoey" acoustic guitar. then the pickup riff around 1 minute is very sweet. then there is another one around 210, which is awesome. this was a very very cool song for me, i really did enjoy just hammerin out to it.

Homecoming
-this is really really cool song. its another one of those "i just wanna fuckin rock" songs man, i really enjoy popping it on when i wanna bang my head hard. it is overall a really good one, harder for me to give full opinion cos i have only live and i cant hear it as well. the vocals sound alot different though, but very very awesome, then in the studio.

LOGO
-well, what can i say...very cool and original i think.

Attitude
-fuckin awesome. from the 2 ive spoke with, very very nice guys...seem very dedicated and are extremely nice to fans! they dont even hint that they are "better", they are just great bunch of dudes.

Originality
-i really think Odins Court have a completely their own sound. i dont think about any other bands when listening to them, which is often rare. strange enough, its not something i woulda thought id be so into...but man i really have been hooked! very very cool, i look forward to more!

well i suppose ill continue this later...as i will post live review after seeing them in march!

//greg :headbang:

Dude, You ROCK OUT LOUD!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Thanks for posting the review. I can't wait to get the finished product in your hands either. I also think you are going to love the new stuff we've been working on (and playing out live). I'm also psyched to se you finally being able to make one of our shows! Especially one that is so important to us! BTW, we just got the tickets this weekend, so we should make arrangements for you and your father to get them! And whatever you do, please on't buy them through TicketMaster! We don't credit for those sales and you will pay extra fees through them.

And for the record... I absolutely 100% agree with you about the solo in Paradise Lost Chapter 3! I LOVE playing that one -- it is one of my absolute favorites to play! Matt did a GREAT job of writing that one (he used to play all the solos before OC added me as a second lead guitarist).

Merry Christmas Greg!

Rick Pierpont said:
Dude, You ROCK OUT LOUD!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Thanks for posting the review. I can't wait to get the finished product in your hands either. I also think you are going to love the new stuff we've been working on (and playing out live). I'm also psyched to se you finally being able to make one of our shows! Especially one that is so important to us! BTW, we just got the tickets this weekend, so we should make arrangements for you and your father to get them! And whatever you do, please on't buy them through TicketMaster! We don't credit for those sales and you will pay extra fees through them.

And for the record... I absolutely 100% agree with you about the solo in Paradise Lost Chapter 3! I LOVE playing that one -- it is one of my absolute favorites to play! Matt did a GREAT job of writing that one (he used to play all the solos before OC added me as a second lead guitarist).

Merry Christmas Greg!

ah thanks man! you rock too!!

well, i will be sure to converse with my dad and we will buy through yall.

merry christmas to you as well, and to all yall who may happen to stop by!

No-Mercy said:
ah thanks man! you rock too!!

well, i will be sure to converse with my dad and we will buy through yall.

merry christmas to you as well, and to all yall who may happen to stop by!

You're welcome! And I did mean that! Not everyone takes the time to give as in depth of a listen as you (or at least they don't post about it).

Cool. It really is pretty easy. We aren't into making ticket buying complex.

Thanks! And I echo Greg's sentiments for all those that stop by.

Very short review by Jaxx's Jaxx's website from our Seven Witches show on 02/19:

Odin's Court were another progressive band but with a much heavier style than Encompass. This band had many fans and it was easy to see and hear why. Crushing guitar melodies and interwoven keyboard touches gave them a distinctive and very loud sound.

Energy was abundant during their performance and they were clearly having fun.

Lori and Mike drove all the way from St Mary's County, MD to see Odin's Court. They had a great time and wisely secured nearby accommodations.

Short review from another message board on our gig with Sonata Arctica:

The second band – Odin’s Court – played a 30 minute set as well. We have seen them live before (I think they opened for Helloween). They played a solid and enjoyable set. I was surprised that they did not do any covers, because their previous show featured some great renditions of known tunes. Odin’s Court consists of two guitarists, one of whom is the lad singer, bass player, keyboardist and drummer. The audience enjoyed their set and was very responsive.

Short review from Jaxx's website on our gig with Sonata Arctica:

Odin's Court, a power progressive outfit from St Mary's County, MD, continued the parade of highly skilled local musicians. This band has some really terrific songs with instantly catchy keyboard melodies on display. Frontman Matt Brookins has a great stage presence and this band just exudes talent and professionalism every time I see them. Jaxx is lucky to have bands that people would actually pay to see and are not just fillers for the National Headliners.

Short review from another message board from our Kamelot show in November 2005:

What a fantastic show! I I really dug all four bands, but Odin's Court, wow! For being rushed on after delays, they put on an amazing show! All of the band members played with such energy. Fantastic job guys! I picked up "Driven By Faith" And am giving it a spin as I write this. Awesome show! You guys have what it takes to make it all the way. (For those who haven't heard them yet.... they put me in mind of a Pain Of Salvation in the regard of originality and creativity. And I'm not kissing their ass. They're that good!

No-Mercy said:
those were good reads :headbang:

im going to be ordering the album, so i can give a review of all the songs i havent already done so for above! :)

have a great show tomorrow guys, yall kick ass! :headbang:
Cool, glad you enjoyed them!

Excellent! I look forward to hearing your take on the whole thing. The final thing, at that!

Thanks!! We did! :)

Jaxx pictures and ever so brief comments on our DVD shoot

Odin's Court were having a combination CD Release party and DVD shoot at Jaxx and put on a sensational headlining set on an All-Local Friday night. The club was packed for this show and put the audience for many National shows to shame. Kudos to Odin's Court, Division and the other bands for working so hard to make it happen.

Ok folks:

My review of ReDriven By Fate, which will be on the forthcoming Rising Forces USA website! But for those who can't wait...here is the review! (no BS, no punches pulled. This is how I feel about the record)

Happy reading!

Odin’s Court- ReDriven By Fate
Genre: Progressive Metal
Release Date: 2006
Label: Unsigned
Band Website: www.odinscourtband.com

Formed in southern Maryland in 2001 by singer/songwriter/guitarist Matt Brookins, Odin’s Court has steadily worked their ways into the consciousness of many metal fans in the Mid-Atlantic United States. Building their foundation on the crushing riffs of Master Of Puppets-era Metallica and the melody and precision of bands as diverse as Pink Floyd, Boston, Rush and Dream Theater, the band has created a sound that is truly unique to the prog metal genre. That sound has captured the hearts and minds of prog metal starved fans on the East Coast and has earned them the opening slot for metal superstars. Odin’s Court has opened for Devin Townsend, Symphony X, King’s X, Helloween, Seven Witches, Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, Funny Money and rest assured that this list will grow!

Brookins has seen several different members share the studio and the stage with him since the band’s formation. He formed the band with bassist Scott Adley and drummer Troy Ribail in late 2001. Ribail parted ways soon after and was replaced by John Abella, who still occupies the beat seat. This lineup released their first demo in 2003. Keyboardist Craig Moran joined in 2003 and shortly after the band released their first full-length Driven By Fate. The album saw much critical praise. In mid-2004 Moran decided to part company and the band soldiered on for a brief period as a 3 piece. In 2005 the band finally found some stability and a much needed shot in the arm with the addition of ex-Critical Path axe shredder Rick Pierpont and teenage keyboard phenom Savino Palumbo. Sadly, in mid-2005 founding bass slinger Adley had to leave the band due to career obligations. In his stead the band hired bassist Craig Jackson, another young and talented musician. Several stage performances of this new lineup proved that the band was more sonically powerful than ever before, and to celebrate the band decided to completely re-arrange and re-record a collection of original favorites from Driven By Fate and add some brand new acoustic tracks and unplugged re-arrangements of some of the older songs in a brand new collection called ReDriven By Fate.

OK, I hear some of you who probably already own Driven By Fate groaning already. “Why didn’t they just record an album full of brand new tracks?” Well, didn’t you ever have a creative vision that was only partly realized? ReDriven By Fate is the concept of the previous album finally up to it’s full zenith. If you’re going to do something, do it right, I say! It’s only fair that Pierpont, Palumbo and Jackson get to put their own signature on these great songs.

1. Discretion Rising-The album opens with the soothing calm of this instrumental . The calming keyboard melody and the slight strumming of the guitars leads to a beautiful guitar solo/harmony that sounds like the lonely wail of a stray cat sitting on a fencepost at midnight. You are calm…at peace! Time to settle down for a nap, you think…right?

2. D2C-WRONG! The opening riff of this track begins and soon the gong sounds and you are tossed into the maelstrom of a sea of crunchy riffs and keyboard line that runs counter to the riff. The sea parts and Brookins’ surrealist lyrical talents come to the fold. His vocal delivery is much softer and more controlled than it’s DBF predecessor. Pierpont adds nice backing vocal harmonies throughout. The songs rises and crashes like the sea upon the rocks. Plenty of stop/start riffing and awesome guitar soloing make this track a winner.

3. Shadow Dust- Beautiful piano melodies and the raw heaviness of the guitars do battle in the beginning, then guitars and piano unite to wage war on your senses with an awesome rhythm passage that ends in the manner of a old car trying to turn over on a cold winter morning. Matt’s vocals are also more gentle and restrained on this track as he takes you on a journey which is not of this world. From a world of glass souls and air filled spines you are transported to a place where the riffs and keys collide once again to make you bang your head until it falls off your neck. From gentle to madness and back again…and some more killer solos to boot! Fall down! Spin Out!…for we all are drowned out in worship of this great track in the end!

4. Surreal Contemplations-Help! I’m trapped in another dimension! I don’t want to leave! Beautiful, hypnotic instrumental that features some awesome axe shredding by Mr. Brookins. I wonder if his fingers were bleeding after recording this one? Great dual harmony on this one too!

5. Utopian Rust-More straightforward than the previous tracks but by no means less complex! A great song for driving music! Brookins unleashes his most haunting vocal yet on this stellar track. Ambience is provided by simple but effective keyboard melody and more awesome riffs and solos.

6. Homecoming- “What did you say to me, to make me act the way I do?” Matt asks…Well, I say “What made you write this riff…that makes me want to inflict more harm on my neck?” This riff is just plain catchy! And heavier than a 1948 Buick! A great crowd pleaser with a sing along opening and a great chorus. Did I mention that the riff is just plain cool? The band’s classic rock influences shine through like diamonds on this superb song…I would not be surprised if this track made radio. Time to call the DJ!

7. His Dark Materials- A riff that stops and starts again suddenly…like it is just waiting for the right time to explode and hook you in…and there it goes! We are now taken to the world of Lyra Belacqua and her adventures in the His Dark Materials book trilogy written by Phillip Pullman. The world of daemons, death, dust and worlds beyond the imagination are described in a nutshell during this tour-de-force which is also easily a live favorite, and easily a favorite of yours truly. Several solos abound in this track and not just guitar solos…Bassist Jackson lets his fingers fly for a brief interlude, then drummer Abella pounds the skins for your pleasure, and then Palumbo lets his fingers fly over the ivories and then unites with Pierpont for a really sweet harmony! If this track does not make you a fan…then you are wasting your time reading this! Just plain genius!

8. Paradise Lost: Chapter 1-Odin’s Court puts their own spin on the epic story by John Milton on this amazing track with a riff so good it should be a felony. Another song that has plenty of potential for the airwaves. The only minus on this track is the vocal line…It’s a good vocal line, but I prefer the more aggressive delivery on the DBF version. The vocals on this song seem too mellow for the pace. Flaws aside, this is still a great song that will always hold a place in my heart as the song that got me into the band’s music.

9. Paradise Lost: Chapter 3-Probably my least favorite song in the Odin’s Court catalog (along with “Holdin’ The Line”) but it is still great. It begins with a pretty piano and some nice orchestral affects before the guitar enters the fray. More laid back than Chapter 1, but it gets really intense in the middle with some great drumming and some really sweet solos and harmonies near the end. Very good song.

After the frantic prog metal fury of the first part of the album is all said and done, sit back and relax with your favorite beverage and let the acoustic stylings take you away! The acoustic arrangements of “Utopian Rust” and “Paradise Lost: Chapters 1 and 4” are a great way to look at these songs with a fresh perspective. I honestly did not think unplugged re-workings of these songs would work, but they do, oh they do! Very beautiful! New tracks “The Calling” , “Dystopian Bliss” and “To Live A Dream” are all beautifully played and written. Very, very nice! The standout piece of the acoustic EP is “Thirteen” (aka “Savino”) which is an awesome keyboard piece by Mr. Palumbo. This song is also the song he uses as his live keyboard solo…and it is such a crowd pleaser! Don’t be surprised if you see him play Carnegie Hall someday!

Musically, all of the members of Odin’s Court are superbly skilled on their respective instruments. Axemen Brookins and Pierpont deliver crushing chords, finger blistering soloing, sweet harmonies and mesmerizing interludes with equal precision. They make one hell of a duo. Drummer Abella is tight and workmanlike in his drumming. He is powerful, he keeps good time and does not overdo it with fills and patterns. He knows what to do and when to do it! Very underrated drummer. Jackson plays some groovy and meaty bass lines and he makes a perfect partner to Abella in the rhythm section. He also does not overplay and lets the licks explode at just the right moment. Keysman Palumbo plays with skill that makes one think of Kevin Moore or Jordan Rudess. At age 19 he is already an incredible talent, and the scary thing is he will only get better! But, like everyone else in the band he knows when to use his talent and how to do it. No “mindless wanking” by these gentlemen! I love complex interludes and 50,000 changes as much as the next person, but the most important thing is the SONG. Odin’s Court is all about writing for the benefit of the songs, not for the benefit of the individuals. I really respect that. Vocally, this album is a huge improvement over DBF and Brookins has improved by leaps and bounds thanks to his tireless dedication and the guiding hand of vocal teacher Steve Whiteman (Kix, Funny Money). Despite all of his improvements, I still think the vocals on the album pale in comparison to his vocal delivery on stage. However, Brookins continues to strive to improve and this will no doubt lead to better vocal work on future recordings. As I said before, the scary thing is he (and the rest of the band) will only get better! The desire to constantly improve separates the great musician from the average.

Now that you have read this review, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of ReDriven By Fate and find out why I call this band the best kept secret in prog metal! Also, be sure to check their show dates and get out there and see this band live! They deserve the support and you must see them live to appreciate all the talents they have. Until then, buy the album…or as guitarist Rick Pierpont says… “Buy it, dammit!”

4 out of 5 on whatever our rating scale will be!

OdinsCourt said:
Matt, you rock! Thanks for taking the time to listen so intently and write that up - I can tell you put a lot of work into it! :D

Matt, you ought to read his reviews of albums on www.beyondearcandy.com. I'm jelious of his abilities. Granted, I've done reviews on that site, too (Keith Horning), but he just has the knack for writing really indepth reviews.

Death Metal Cookie Monster said:
Matt, you ought to read his reviews of albums on www.beyondearcandy.com. I'm jelious of his abilities. Granted, I've done reviews on that site, too (Keith Horning), but he just has the knack for writing really indepth reviews.
He definitely writes well! I'll check out his reviews there (and yours too). You going to review our CD too? ;) Hopefully AMBR at BEC will be reviewing it soon too.

From Sea of Tranquility

Odin's Court is a young progressive metal band from Maryland, USA. They have been around for a couple of years now, releasing their self-produced debut album Driven by Fate in 2003 and playing several gigs with amazing bands including Devin Townsend, Symphony X, Kamelot, and Helloween. The band's debut album was an ambitious concept piece, packed with great riffs, atmospheric keyboards, powerful rhythms, and soaring vocals. Led by vocalist, guitarist, and main songwriter Matt Brookins, the band has gone through several lineup changes before releasing their new work, Redriven by Fate.

Redriven by Fate is not exactly a new studio album, as it contains newly arranged and recorded tracks from the band's debut release, some acoustic tracks, and solo numbers by the members. Starting with the Driven by Fate tracks, the band immediately shows noticeable growth on the first two tracks. After the semi-acoustic, semi-keyboard driven intro "Discretion Rising", the band delves into "D2C", a fantastic piece littered with great riffs by both Matt Brookins and Rick Pierpont, a solid bass bottom, pounding drums, and great synth work. On the last two minutes of the piece, the band makes a foray into ambient sections, sort of like the songs on Degree Absolute's debut album.

Though I'm still of the opinion that Matt Brookins vocals are an acquired taste, Brookins' singing sounds a lot more convincing and effective than the debut album. "Shadow Dust" showcases several aspects of his vocal abilities, going from high registers to even slightly howling-like screams. Complemented by deep acoustic throbs and bluesy lead solos, not to mention Iron Maiden type of gallop riffage, this is one of the heaviest Odin's Court songs. "Surreal Contemplations" is a beautiful instrumental, highlighted by lofty synths that float above expressive lead guitars and some whispered lyrics. The new arrangement of the song is truly engaging, perhaps because the guitar harmony is so well written and produced. "Utopian Rust" concludes the Redriven by Fate numbers, with punishing rhythm guitars, Brookins' most melodic singing, and a killer lead solo by Rick Pierpont, and atmospheric keyboards.

The two H2 tracks, "Homecoming" and "His Dark Materials", sound quite different, mostly because of Brookins' strictly 80's style heavy metal vocals on the former (with big harmonies) and the Ayreon-infused folky melody on the latter. Think Ayreon's The Human Equation where Lucassen runs a slightly Celtic-sounding agile folk melody through some of the pieces. "His Dark Materials" isn't too different, accented with textural guitar work, and solo performances by each member. Brookins lets things start with a gripping tapping lick and is followed by Craig Jackson on bass whose rumbling bass shines like a diamond. From here on, the music segues into a killer drum solo by John Abella and finally an awesome synth melody by Savino Palumbo. This is arguably the finest and most perfectly composed Odin's Court song to date, and I hope to see them exploring this type of writing more vividly on their next album.

"Paradise Lost: Chapter 1" and "Paradise Lost: Chapter 3" are both enriched with varied soundscapes, ranging from fluid guitar arpeggios to symphonic textures and plenty of solos. However, it is the acoustic versions of songs like "Utopian Rust", complete with dynamic cello and viola sounds; or the melancholic "The Calling" that prove Odin's Court is a band comprised of members that understand composition and melody. "Paradise Lost: Chapter 1" is their most complex work, blending wonderful strings, counterpoint acoustics, and a beautiful violin solo by Teresina Palumbo. You also need to give "Savino" a good listen, for excellent solo piano.

The production is okay for an independent release, but I can't help thinking how these songs would sound if they were produced and mixed by a professional. As with the debut, there were times when I hoped the guitar tone was a bit fuller and had more punch to it, and there would be more clarity. But these are minor setbacks, and here's hoping to a great third album, which they'll start recording later this year. Odin's Court is a band with great potential, but I feel the best from them is yet to come.

Track Listing

Discretion Rising
D2C
Shadow Dust
Surreal Contemplations
Utopian Rust
Homecoming
His Dark Materials
Paradise Lost: Chapter 1
Paradise Lost: Chapter 3
Utopian Rust (acoustic)
The Calling (acoustic)
Dystopian Bliss (acoustic)
Thirteen (acoustic)
Paradise Lost: Chapter 1 (acoustic)
Paradise Lost: Chapter 4 (acoustic)
To Live A Dream

OdinsCourt said:
He definitely writes well! I'll check out his reviews there (and yours too). You going to review our CD too? ;) Hopefully AMBR at BEC will be reviewing it soon too.

It would be sweet if they reviewed it. However, I can send them mine (pending they agree to let me keep the rights to it). I really hope the album gets put on their radio playlist.