Official buying advice thread

it takes this:
humbucker_distortion_b29729.jpg

and splits the top and bottom, to make it sound like this:
1_pickup_mex_bridge.jpg

notice how a humbucker just looks like 2 single coils stacked? thats because they are. so when you split them, they act like a single coil

better?
~gR~

I am planning on building an electric shamisen.

This is what a Shamisen is in case you don´t know.

The one I am planning on building will be more like a bass. And will have four strings instead of the three that a Shamisen has.

So I want bass pickups that could preserve that type of sound. And aren´t too expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
it takes this:
humbucker_distortion_b29729.jpg

and splits the top and bottom, to make it sound like this:
1_pickup_mex_bridge.jpg

notice how a humbucker just looks like 2 single coils stacked? thats because they are. so when you split them, they act like a single coil

better?
~gR~
I think I get it, but I'll have to do some reading just to make sure :)
I am planning on building an electric shamisen.

This is what a Shamisen is in case you don´t know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5rs7pfZuPs

The one I am planning on building will be more like a bass. And will have four strings instead of the three that a Shamisen has.

So I want bass pickups that could preserve that type of sound. And aren´t too expensive.
I knew a Japanese exchange student a few years ago who brought her shamisen to the US with her and she could play some amazing traditional Japanese tunes. I don't know what an electric one would sound like, especially not a bass shamisen, but I'd be interested in hearing it.

On the topic of ethnic instruments, I was looking up erhus on eBay last night and have some decent ones up for about $115 plus $25.

Ok guys, I just got my RX10D, and it looks damn good. I couldn't find a cable to connect the guitar to the amp in the box though. Is this normal? And what should I get?

*I'm a guitar noob btw*

I think I get it, but I'll have to do some reading just to make sure :)

I knew a Japanese exchange student a few years ago who brought her shamisen to the US with her and she could play some amazing traditional Japanese tunes. I don't know what an electric one would sound like, especially not a bass shamisen, but I'd be interested in hearing it.

On the topic of ethnic instruments, I was looking up erhus on eBay last night and have some decent ones up for about $115 plus $25.

I saw some cheap ones too, I would get one but it doesnt have enough of a range for me. I would love to get a Yangqin, also make it electric but that would cost a shitload of money.

Ok guys, I just got my RX10D, and it looks damn good. I couldn't find a cable to connect the guitar to the amp in the box though. Is this normal? And what should I get?

*I'm a guitar noob btw*

I doubt you would ever get a cable in the box. You should just buy one, and maybe some pedal couplers if youre going to use pedals.

carvins are ok, but they lack character. the tone can really be bland and generic unless you spend some time, and money, in customizing it. the necks, however, feel great.

what i would do first, is change the body woods to anything but alder. for a 7 string, i would consider walnut. you dont see it on guitars alot (mostly basses) but the low end response is fantastic. its naturally aggressive and clear. ash might be another one to look at, if you dont mind a lighter tone. after that, its your personal taste in electronics.

i dont use tremolos, so no advice from me
~gR~

I'm thinking of changing the bridge pickup of my guitar, which is am EMG 81. I've heard good things about some and would like which is better, a Seymour Duncan SH-13 Dimebucker, SH-8 Invader Pickup, Seymour Duncan Lil Screamin Demon Pickup or a Bill Lawrence L-500XL?

alot of people use the invader and dimebucker. both are uber high gain pickups and should do well. i'd also check into the dimarzio blaze series.

one thing to check into is the routing size. EMG's are larger than seymour duncans. so you might have some extra space around the pickup. just a cosmetic thing really, since youre going large to small.
~gR~

I have this guitar and on the DiMarzio web site I was recommended these humbuckers for the neck (through multiple tests):

Air Norton
Breed Neck
PAF Joe
Paf Pro

and these single coils for the middle (also through multiple test):

Pro Track
Chopper
Air Norton 5

So which ones should I put in my guitar?