Official Cheap Bastards: Time to Purchase Your Tickets Thread

To all -
I appreciate all the replies.
I truly think this is a good discussion, esp in these economic times.

booB - As you figured out, I was not calling you out. Just showing that for festivals, the line up does indeed matter.

OrbWeaver - No, I have not been at Prog Power. If I was at a different place / time in my life, it would be a no brainer.

I suppose my main point here is that a lot of the PP regulars feel that everyone has the same thought process in going to festivals , or shows in general. I am just saying this is not the case. If it was, wouldn't Prog Power be the size of Wacken? This is truly not meant to be a diss to Prog Power. As I said previously, it is an amazing festival (which I feel comfortable saying, even though I have never been), which has always had my respect.

I think in summary, the fact remains is that traveling for any festival is not in the cards for some. For others, it will depend solely on the lineup. For the PP faithful, it is a ritual. There is truly no right or wrong in my eyes.

I don't want to go down the road of, "I have been into metal for X years", "I have been in X number of bands", "I have 1000 records, 500 CDs, etc, etc"

We know we are all passionate about metal and music in general.
That is why we all have post counts in the thouands!! :lol:

I suppose my main point here is that a lot of the PP regulars feel that everyone has the same thought process in going to festivals , or shows in general. I am just saying this is not the case. If it was, wouldn't Prog Power be the size of Wacken?
No. ProgPower doesn't cater to as wide an audience as Wacken, nor does it have access to as large a Metal audience (the European market). I think the uniqueness of the ProgPower experience can best be summed up by the percentage of returning attendees. I'd be willing to bet that no festival, even the European festivals, have as high an attendee return rate.

I don't want to go down the road of, "I have been into metal for X years", "I have been in X number of bands", "I have 1000 records, 500 CDs, etc, etc"
For the record, I have been into Metal for X+1 years, I have 1001 records and 501 CDs. So there. :loco:

Zod

ZOD-No. ProgPower doesn't cater to as wide an audience as Wacken, nor does it have access to as large a Metal audience (the European market). I think the uniqueness of the ProgPower experience can best be summed up by the percentage of returning attendees. I'd be willing to bet that no festival, even the European festivals, have as high an attendee return rate.

For the record, I have been into Metal for X+1 years, I have 1001 records and 501 CDs. So there. :lol

Great points! Also, when Progpower has sold out in the past, Glenn had been asked why not move to a bigger venue and expand the number of people who could attend. Glenn was not in favor of the idea, feeling the "family aptmosphere" would be lost, and the fact that he lives near Atlanta. This seemed to ruffle alot of feathers with some, but now(with the state of the economy) it just shows that not only is Glenn a genius but a prophet too.:headbang::kickass::worship:

I don't post often but I can't help but wonder why Jasonic is so opinionated with over 9,000 posts and has never been to PP? Times are tough for all and we need to support this wonderful event.

I don't post often but I can't help but wonder why Jasonic is so opinionated with over 9,000 posts and has never been to PP? Times are tough for all and we need to support this wonderful event.

Opinionated? I have said nothing negative about Prog Power whatsoever.

I was just responding to some original posts from some of the regulars who can't understand why people don't come to PP. That's all.

I support this festival plenty, simply by speaking of it almost daily on this forum, as well as other forums.

All you whorebots who are butthurt over my post... get over it. The topic was directed at cheap bastards (myself included) who were DELAYING purchasing the tickets... not people who simply couldn't afford to go at all. :)

I've been consistently posting at ProgPower on various metal communities over at Livejournal. I'm not sure if it's made a difference, though. Mostly, people bitch about it being "all the way in Georgia." I have a hard time not telling them to go cry in a corner...

It's a hub for one of the major airlines, ffs. If anyone has trouble getting to ATL, they should stop living 100 miles from anything resembling a city.
BTW, I have a sofabed available at the RI Thurs-Sun if anyone wants to chip in $50/night, speaking of ways to save money.

I think it simply comes down to this.
There are two types of attendees for this festival:
1) Those who are PP faithful, who will go regardless of lineup. It is a major annual social event, which is planned a year in advance
2) Metal fans who simply view it as a concert, and will go if there are bands they wish to see

For me, it is #2.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying here, but you're missing one important point... Everyone in category #1 initially started out in category #2. In 2001, I happened to have some time available, and gold badges were still available, so I decided at the last minute, what the hell, a road trip and some cool bands might be fun. I didn't initially go because of any expectations that it would be a social event, nor did I plan in advance. And I certainly had no idea it would become an annual event for me for the next decade. But it's probably safe to say that if all I experienced those first couple years was good band performances... if it wasn't such a great time even aside from the performances, I would probably have just shown up sporadically in the following years. I wouldn't have been so determined to show up every single year, for all 4 days, regardless of other changing circumstances over the years. I think that's what people in this thread are saying. You can't know until you've experienced it. Of course, it's certainly possible that you may just not be as into socializing or whatever, and even if you did go, the experience for you would be just another concert. But still... you can't know without having been there. Either way, I'm not criticizing you for going or not going, that's of course completely up to you, and I have no idea of your personal circumstances... like while other people can leave their family for a couple days with no problem, maybe you have extenuating circumstances that prevent you from doing that. No problem. I'm just saying it's one of those things.. like a roller coaster, perhaps... where you can hear countless verbal accounts of it, but you can't fully understand until you've experienced it.

I also agree with what you said that in some way ProgPower USA is a victim of its own success, in that it greatly helped open up the market for some European bands to actually be able to tour here... but as a result, now has less exclusivity.

Oh, and regarding Milwaukee Metalfest... I don't know if that fest met its demise for the same reason... I suspect that was more likely because the promoter of Milwaukee Metalfest is a deceptive criminal con-artist who has burned every bridge he's come near, and ripped off almost every band he's ever worked with, to the point where no bands or managers will even give him the time of day anymore.