Official Off Topic Thread

It happens to every band, every album. It really sucks, just hope that everybody actually buys it later on aswell. I know every Symph X fan here on the boards most definitly will.

I'm sure everyone will buy the album. The biggest problem with leaks isn't people purchasing the album, but really the speed in which they purchase them. If someone's had a disc for 6 weeks before it comes out, there's little excitement to go out and buy it in the first week, and those first week sales mean a lot to the bean counters at the labels.

Of course, it also gets the band more fans... double edged sword.

Anyway, who else got like 4 hours of sleep last night? I DID. Now if have to go to work :(

I still think it´s a bit disappointing that the scheduled release is in approx. 7 weeks, and that there is close to zero info on this record. A couple of “it´s turning out well” and a bunch of meaningless pictures, probably all taken within 2 minutes just to get it over with. As it´s been mentioned before, the cat´s out of the bag, there´s hardly any element of surprise left (except for possible samples, but even that..) and SX still keeps getting beat by others sources, denying the info due to the fact that it´s not “official”, just to post the exact same information a bit later (ie the cover art..). I just think it´s poorly handled, regardless of the reasons, one has to admit that it does not look good. I am perfectly aware that it´s not Jax´s nor J´s fault, so no intention to blame you guys! Actually, I think that you have done an outstanding job considering the situation.

Edit: The pictures are not all meaningless, but it´s so obvious that it was kind of "come MJR, now put your leg up so we can at least post two different pics"

I'm sure everyone will buy the album. The biggest problem with leaks isn't people purchasing the album, but really the speed in which they purchase them. If someone's had a disc for 6 weeks before it comes out, there's little excitement to go out and buy it in the first week, and those first week sales mean a lot to the bean counters at the labels.

Of course, it also gets the band more fans... double edged sword.

Anyway, who else got like 4 hours of sleep last night? I DID. Now if have to go to work :(

Well, I'll be grabbing this the day of release, and yes it is a two edged sword.
Once the cat slips out the door, there is no real way to control it, it just proliferates around the globe in a matter of hours, if not minutes. The only way to keep this from happening is to not issue promos. Period. But the music press will treat it like critics treat a movie they don't let an advanced screening of, and write it off as shit. The music & label biz has a LONG way to go before it catches on, that's for sure.

I'll definately be buying the album... provided stores around here are onto it enough to get it in... they should.

To be honest, you can thank internet downloads for me finding out about SX in the first place... because they have zero promotion over here in Perth... actually, about 90% of the bands I got into, I found downloads first, and then hunted their albums down one by one.

The metal section at Perth's largest CD store is a 3 tier rack, only 1 and a half metres long. That says all you really need to know about how musically aware the corporates over here are... especially when the metal scene in Perth is one of the strongest in Australia. Even the guy I bought an amp off just a day ago, who isn't into metal, testified from his extensive experience in Perth original music, the only scene with any strength behind it is the metal scene... and I have to find out about bands via the net. Anyway, end rant!

I'll be purchasing the first copy of Paradise Lost I see, and I will be calling JB on the expected release date! ;)

Lol... I hate Guitar Hero... even though I'm a bassist... I was playing GH2 at a friends, playing Hangar 18 on "bass hero"... I can play that song on a real bass, and then when I see the GH version, I'm like... WTF?!

I can't see what the big deal is about knowing the details of an album before its release, really. Will knowing the song line-up or the details about the CD make it get here quicker or influence your decision to buy it? If the latter, you're not much of a fan, are you? If the former, um... Sliders!

I can't see what the big deal is about knowing the details of an album before its release, really. Will knowing the song line-up or the details about the CD make it get here quicker or influence your decision to buy it? If the latter, you're not much of a fan, are you? If the former, um... Sliders!

Actually, I like it because for me, it builds the anticipation. I also like trying to picture the music based on the titles and I also love knowing about the recording process (gear used etc..). To each his own. If you like it another way, then fine. Talking about "not much of a fan", I´ve followed SX since 1996, which is a tad longer than most people here...

I could care less about the track-listing, but I always like seeing the album art for the anticipation, as Nocturnal Swede already mentioned. And it sucks that the album leaked, but I won't be listening to it until I have an actual copy in my hands.

i think its still disappointing that it got leaked. especially seeing as what NS said about the fact that we had zero information about it, and everything else that got leaked such as album cover and track list, was denied and poorly covered up. Maybe if they were on top of it all a bit quicker and released these things to us themselves before giving anyone a chance to leak it.. the cover and tracklist i mean, not the actual album, then it would at least have saved some face. Well it's all a learning experience I suppose.