Official Off Topic Thread

Thanks for the replies... but WHY are these necessary? That's the core question I'm getting at. I have my own theories but I want to hear others' too.

I feel like I answered that question...is there something specific you're still looking for? Again, I was only answering in the context of MY profession.

img012rh.jpg

RIP Charlie Banacos

I don't know how many people here are familiar with him (Schenk...you probably heard the name while you were at Berklee), but he's sort of an underground legend in the jazz world for his teaching. He taught a lot of big name guys. A few of my teachers studied pretty extensively with him and a lot of the ways I practice improv and ear training are his methods that they've handed down. I actually called and spoke to Charlie on the phone a few months ago to be put on his waiting list (we had made plans for me to be able to make it out there sometime in 2011:p). I was really struck by how enthusiastic he seemed to talk to someone he wouldn't even be able to teach for at least another 2 years...seemed like a really great guy. I wish I had known the guy but I'm definitely bummed out that myself and countless others will never get the chance now. Luckily, I think his methods are going to outlive us all.

Wow. Sad news, Meedles. Sometimes there are those albehind the scenes" musicians who are never in the limelight but are very influential for a lot of music we listen to.

Also, I'll be in St. Paul at Station 4 on Sunday. Come have a beer!

Sounds good man. I've got finals and a few papers to do over the weekend but I think I should be able to wrap things up by Sunday evening, hopefully I'll be able to come out for a while!

Speaking of blogs, I decided to start a blog. I find a lot of cool, helpful information from blog posts so I thought why not start up my own blog that could be helpful to others? It's computer tech related and it will be covering tutorials, tips, and cool applications for all three of the most popular operating systems: Windows 7, Mac OSX, and Ubuntu.

http://ctweirdo.wordpress.com/

I must say... I borrowed Dido - No Angel from my girlfriend a couple of weeks ago. Let's just say... it hasn't left my car since. Am... am I broken? I love her voice.

I finally finished my MIDI song I was working on. Tweaking and all... 33:55, and in between working on that song, I wrote another 6 minute song that is also 100% done. I think I'm going to write an entire MIDI album (I have 2 more songs already started), just for the hell of it. Many would consider this a colossal waste of time, but I love composing. Guitar Pro FTW :headbang:

So i know this is against the rules, but I'm watching Live in Montreal Bootleg of Symphony x in '01 right now. it's sick as shit. i know Glenn actually makes an appearence in the video. next up on the dvd watching table is DEATH LIVE IN LA!!!! Gonna be rad for sure.