Official Off Topic Thread

Updated my avatar in celebration of one the world's best fuckin soft drinks now being widely available in stores around here. Must!
In Sweden, julmust outsells Coca-Cola during the Christmas season; in fact, the consumption of Coca-Cola drops by as much as 50% over Christmas.
:kickass:

Import this shit for your Christmas dinner, it won't disappoint. Ask any norwegian/swede.

The 2 best soft drinks outside of the US are Shani, which is a strawberry/berry flavored soft drink sold in the Middle East, and Bibo, a kiwi mango flavored soft drink sold in Africa. YUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

I will try this soft drink if I can find it. What's it taste like?

img0471e.jpg
iceland021.jpg
iceland121.jpg

The 2 best soft drinks outside of the US are Shani, which is a strawberry/berry flavored soft drink sold in the Middle East, and Bibo, a kiwi mango flavored soft drink sold in Africa. YUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

I will try this soft drink if I can find it. What's it taste like?

It tastes METAL.
It's sweet, of course, with a (weak) beer-like aftertaste.
I found this http://www.kristallbeverage.com/home/jul.html

I'd pass on that strawberry drink but the kiwi one doesn't sound so bad.

You play your cards well, Ken. :headbang:

So, while over at wifey's family joint for dinner yesterday, I found that a bottle of homebrew I had given her granddad (RIP) some years ago was still in the fridge. As near as I can tell, it's eight years old. I brought it home and will give it a taster this afternoon. Kinda curious....

Ha, I love asking things like this. The conversation usually goes like this:

"Where are we playing in the next few days? Do we know anyone there? Do we know any other bands from there? Jeff, do you have any Symphony X forum friends there?"

Also, ABQ: Dec. 2nd at the Launchpad.

Hmmm... I wonder if I could convince the wife to let me out for a bit...

Got a funeral tomorrow. Sad. One of my dad's bestest buds from waaaaay long ago.

Oh, and if you haven't heard of it, the new collaboration beer from Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head is out. Life & Limb. I have two bottles at $16 a pop.

Ha, I love asking things like this. The conversation usually goes like this:

"Where are we playing in the next few days? Do we know anyone there? Do we know any other bands from there? Jeff, do you have any Symphony X forum friends there?"

Also, ABQ: Dec. 2nd at the Launchpad.
Well If you do end up ever playing in the southern NH area I am in , I checked you guys out little while ago , love the old school :headbang:
Good stuff man

I don't know anything about Linkedin (never even heard of it), but the big thing with Twitter, blogs, facebook, myspace, etc. is just that those are the means through which most people expect to get their information through nowadays. They are cheap (if not free), easy to create, easy to manage, and a good way to reach a large number of people.

I've tried Twitter and didn't like it, but I think the big thing is that it just helps a fanbase feel more connected with an artist. I can't say I'm one of them...but a lot of people go nuts over arbitrary information such as "lol zomg I"m eating a good sandwich right now". I find that particular site to be rather useless for anything substantial.

Blogs are good because they are a good way to generate interest in you/your product and draw traffic to yourself. Blogging about things and then including relevant links is a good way to draw hits from search engines, which will in turn lead more people to you. It's a good way to network.

Myspace is the big one for artists just because it's become the standard for EPKs. Photos, video, calendar, audio, biographical info, contact info, etc. all on a single page that it easy to access and easy to track. The account services for artists are good as well...it makes it very easy to track who is checking you out, where they are from, how often you are getting people to the site, etc.

Facebook, I see as more of just a networking thing. I use that one for personal use (any other social networking tool i use/have used has only been for professional purposes), but find it very good for professional networking as well. I've got several stories about how I've gotten gigs and other work through seemingly arbitrary internet-networking, including a tour of Europe for next year. It's also a good way of keeping current with friends I don't get to talk to in person as much anymore (I've moved a lot and have friends all over) and keeping friends updated on what I'm up to as far as gigs and stuff go.

All in all, I'm really not a fan of most of these things, but they are a necessity in this business nowadays. It's all part of this "fast-food" generation.

EDIT: I guess my responses are only in regards to the benefits for MY profession rather than generalized things...but I think some of it holds true across the board.

I haven't tried stuff like Twitter or Facebook yet im not a fan of that kind of sites. I do like Myspace just for to hear some band music that I haven't heard yet.I have better things to do than Twitter or Facebook.

All in all, I'm really not a fan of most of these things, but they are a necessity in this business nowadays. It's all part of this "fast-food" generation.

Thanks for the replies... but WHY are these necessary? That's the core question I'm getting at. I have my own theories but I want to hear others' too.

They aren't necessary, Ken, but helpful. LinkedIn is good for networking for careers. It helps identify where job openings are and keeps you in touch with former workmates who have moved on to other companies, and if you're looking to move on you can get some good help from those people. I've found several job leads myself through that website.

I don't use Twitter, but on Facebook I've reconnected with tons of old classmates I hadn't heard from for 20 years. That was cool.

Overall, using the information age products to find things you normally would take days/weeks/years of research to find, I would say. But, most people will probably use those tools in different ways.