Official Off Topic Thread

You know, there was once a time where I thought wikipedia was a decent source, but more and more I'm finding out about things that are on there that are sometimes really badly sourced. Some pages like "Critisizims of Islam", around half of the critisizims source random websites, blog posts, or they source pages or books that are opinions, and a lot of the shit on that page is completely wrong. They don't source the Quran!!!
So really, I take anything on wikipedia with utmost caution. What you've quoted to me looks like an opinion and not a fact. I've listened to the album countless times and maybe one or two songs have a power metalish feel, but I don't consider the album to be a power metal album.

Yeah I know. I just posted what I could find to back my claims that it was considered a power metal release by most people. Of course I could never muster up any actual evidence, if that is what you require. Most websites and shit I find on google list it as power/thrash rather than heavy metal. Whatever I guess we're on "opinion ground" here and any further discussion on the matter will prove fruitless.

Articles like criticism of Islam is bound to have erroneous views and conceptions, and shouldn't really be up on Wikipedia in the first place.

Power metal is a very broad genre, and saying Iced Earth is power is certainly not a stretch, especially for U.S. power metal (as opposed to euro power)...but if you want to get technical, I'd say they are a conglomerate of power/heavy/thrash. Aahh, good ole genre discussions :)

I liked Zachs post

What I heard of Iced Earth didnt strike me as power metal

So we went to see Metallica last night. Im not a huge fan so I dont have the song fimiliarity as most fans, just some stuff I remember hearing. My drummer was huge fan, early Metallica was to him what Led Zeppelin was to me so he head banged and air drumed to all the old stuff. I dont see why people say they suck live because they definantly did NOT suck, played well, Kirk, the "new" bass player worked the audience, Lars is a busy drummer good showman, James did his thing which hes quite good at. Great lights and pyro, good sound, vocals a bit low. The music just isnt my cup of tea and I found it to all sound the same after awhile but still its some pretty complex stuff in arrangement, always varying and by my standards wickedly fast. It just that the groove is always the same... thashy.

Lamb of God wasnt as unbearable as I would have thought, they had a few riffs that caught my attention.

Whatever, it was a good show, nearly sold out, all types of people, lots of parent/s with their teenagers.

I love that so many still refer to or consider Trujillo the "new" bass player in Metallica :lol: I'm guilty to that as well. Shit I can't even remember the name of the guy after Burton.

Maybe it is power metal.. but when I think of Power Metal the songs that come into my head are Rhapsody - Holy Thunderforce, SIGN OWF THA CWOSS, Dragnforce.... and to me nothing Iced Earth has ever put out sounds anything like that.

Though, I'm pretty sure if you ever asked Jon Schaffer what the genre their music was he would never say Power Metal. Just like how Michael Romeo is always like, we don't yknow like to sub genred yknow so we're a metal band yknow. I like to leave it up the people who make the music define their genre.

I like to leave it up the people who make the music define their genre.

Well Rhapsody used to call their music "Hollywood Metal" :lol:
I agree though, it's best to let bands decide.

Genres are pretty stupid since basically every band incorporates sounds and influences from a lot of them. Band like Dragonforce and Rhapsody, I agree, should just be considered power however people tend to put them in sub-sub-genres like Speed Metal.

To me, this is clearly power metal (and pretty good one at that), with maybe a gritty sound but still in essence power metal with the whole power chorus and everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love that so many still refer to or consider Trujillo the "new" bass player in Metallica :lol: I'm guilty to that as well. Shit I can't even remember the name of the guy after Burton.

Jason N somebody... lol I guess you need to be a fan to remember all the names of everyone in any given band but anyhow I never remember this guys name. Hes good on stage

Jason N somebody... lol I guess you need to be a fan to remember all the names of everyone in any given band but anyhow I never remember this guys name. Hes good on stage

Newstead...I always remembered him because of his odd face - always looked like he was pissed about something.

Awesome Ken, yes, pics!

Also, Unmoored > Scar Symmetry

Anything Christian Älvestam has done deserves attention, but so far Scar Symmetry has been the best for me.

Edit: Infinite Soul-Extension really grew on me. One of the best melodeath albums ever made.