Official Off Topic Thread

Opeth.com:
"We can exclusively reveal that the new Opeth album will be titled 'HERITAGE'. The record is due for release through Roadrunner Records in September. More details to follow soon."

OMG OMG OMG...

I've been listening to Ghost Revs in my car again... been a while... and it's just sooo good. So excited! Opeth never disappoints!

Hopefully it will be more like a totally new album.
Or, if it has to sound anything like an existing album, I hope something like Morningrise. I want some more swedish folk in there.

Hopefully it will be more like a totally new album.
Or, if it has to sound anything like an existing album, I hope something like Morningrise. I want some more swedish folk in there.

It was more of a statement against Watershed than it was a praise of Ghost Reveries. But I agree - a new direction would be interesting, just hopefully not in the same vein as Watershed.

I would love it if they had more Scandinavian folk melodies in there (in the style of their first few albums), but I'm pretty sure Mikael has stated that they've moved on from the twin guitar "minstrel" sound because so many death metal and black metal bands were doing that at the time of Orchid and Morningrise.

But I love those albums dearly. I'd love to hear those songs with Mikael's much improved current growl and with Mendez on bass. I can only hope that one day they'll perform Black Rose Immortal and To Bid You Farewell (hell, just make it the whole album) live.

I will say that Watershed was definitely a step down from Ghost Revs, but I still enjoy it.
I'd be happy with something new... just as long as it has that Opeth feel (which it will). Nobody does Opeth but Opeth.

As a newer Opeth fan I only have Ghost Reveries, Still Life and Blackwater Park. What should I get
next? I was thinking Damnation or Deliverance. I'll eventually acquire their whole catalog. They are
one of the most interesting bands I have ever heard. Definitely in my top 5. As I've said before,
Opeth's music is hauntingly beautiful. My 17 year old daughter is now a fan as well.

so I joined twitter, and I feel like that guy who walks into a beer warehouse only to see a very, very empty warehouse. I look left, then right, then left again. I pause, I contemplate the dust motes, and then I shut the lights off and leave. That's kind of how it went. I challenged myself to find 3 people/things worth "following" and could only come up with 2. Realistically, only 1. Pretty sad really. I guess I'm just not cut out for the 140 character world.

As a newer Opeth fan I only have Ghost Reveries, Still Life and Blackwater Park. What should I get next? I was thinking Damnation or Deliverance. I'll eventually acquire their whole catalog. They are one of the most interesting bands I have ever heard. Definitely in my top 5. As I've said before, Opeth's music is hauntingly beautiful. My 17 year old daughter is now a fan as well.

^ I'd get Damnation. ;)

I agree with Marwen - get Damnation. No matter what mood I'm in - good or bad - if I pop that album on it's an awesome, beautiful, haunting experience. As much as I love Mikael's growling, Opeth doesn't need it to release quality songs.

so I joined twitter, and I feel like that guy who walks into a beer warehouse only to see a very, very empty warehouse. I look left, then right, then left again. I pause, I contemplate the dust motes, and then I shut the lights off and leave. That's kind of how it went. I challenged myself to find 3 people/things worth "following" and could only come up with 2. Realistically, only 1. Pretty sad really. I guess I'm just not cut out for the 140 character world.

and I was considering checking it out sometime just to see what the big fuss is about. I only have a facebook account with 11 contacts and barely any posts.

btw, Wintersun played a song from the new album live, it's called "The Way of the Fire":

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naQ31iAS1fA&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

God I can't wait for this fucking album! :worship:

The new Amorphis album is sick. The best I've ever heard of them. Initial listen has songs with catchy choruses and basically hit song after hit song, and then the album grows for each listen. Definitely took me by surprise.

^ I used to really like them in their "Tales from the Thousand Lakes" and "Elegy" days, but got was less interested by their newer material. I'll give this new album a listen though.

The new Amorphis album is sick. The best I've ever heard of them. Initial listen has songs with catchy choruses and basically hit song after hit song, and then the album grows for each listen. Definitely took me by surprise.

I hated it. Utterly boring and would be their worst album if not for Silent Waters.

On the other hand, I love the new Moonsorrow as long as I skip all the even numbered tracks with just snow-shoe-crunching.