Official Off Topic Thread

I think it's a lot like Sonata Arctica's The Days of Grays. I can totally understand how someone might not like it (being too poppy or something) but I have a weak spot for this kind of stuff.
I thought, especially considering the number of tracks on the album, it was quite varied. Pretty simple riffs and stuff, but very melodic.

Kinda new to Amorphis...I really liked the single (You I Need), i thought it was mad catchy and enjoyable. Some of the other songs on their new album....maybe not so much. It isn't horrible, just maybe not my cup of tea.

I think it's a lot like Sonata Arctica's The Days of Grays. I can totally understand how someone might not like it (being too poppy or something) but I have a weak spot for this kind of stuff.
I thought, especially considering the number of tracks on the album, it was quite varied. Pretty simple riffs and stuff, but very melodic.

Yeah, I pretty much hated that album too. It wasn't that it was poppy, believe me, I listen to some straight-up pop. It just all sounded awash with blandness and unconvincing depth. That's to both Days of Grays and the new Amorphis, along with Silent Waters.

Skyforger and Eclipse were effing awesome.

Opeth.com

"We present to you the cover artwork for our new album 'Heritage' created by our long time friend Travis Smith."

imgres

I actually don't like the cover artwork. Not my taste (at least as far as Opeth is concerned). Can't wait for this album though.

I actually don't like the cover artwork. Not my taste (at least as far as Opeth is concerned). Can't wait for this album though.

I'm with you on this one. What were they thinking?! That artwork is so comical and certainly doesn't fit Opeth's bleak style. But for all we know, Opeth is switching genres and this will be an album full of party music...

The new Opeth album, by the way, won't feature any death metal or growling vocals.

I posted this on another forum a couple of weeks ago. It's a quick translation of the main points from a Finnish blog article from a guy who was in Stockhom at a pre-listening of the Opeth album:

-It was played in 5.1 surround system and according to the writer the mix was good although he's usually not a fan of playing rock in other than stereo format. Åkerfeldt himself said "I first heard the record today and I didn't know they were going to play it to the media in surround. I had my doubts, but the end-result made me have goose bumps"

-It's about 56 minutes long.

-Draws to mind Sabbath, Beatles, jazz, King Crimson, Cream, Rainbow, Floyd, funk, Purple, Piirpauke, classical, My Dying Bride, folk, Love, Jethro Tull, Maiden…

-No death metal parts or growling

-No modern style of "wall of guitar tracks".

-Lots of keys, piano and mellotron are featured. Some intros include clarinet and contrabass.

- "We aren't concerned about other people's opinions", Åkerfeldt stated. "If fans of death metal can't enjoy this, that's their problem"

The band leader also said that he had grown tired of extreme metal already in the 90s, but couldn't explain why the previous record still included death growls.

"I have wanted to make a record like this since I was 20", Åkerfeldt said and added that making it would not have been possible without the metal roots that brought them success.

The journalist also says: "In any case, some metal fans will have troule with Heritage, but if your hopes are more in the 70s, this album can only work. This is probably safe to assume after a single listen.

The first 7 songs are insanely good, the other 3 a bit less so."

I'm honestly okay without the growls. I love them, but Damnation is one of my favorite Opeth records and I enjoy their growl-free stuff. I have a feeling, however, that this will be more upbeat and psychedelic when compared to the haunting, creepy-at-times Damnation.

The new Opeth album, by the way, won't feature any death metal or growling vocals.

I posted this on another forum a couple of weeks ago. It's a quick translation of the main points from a Finnish blog article from a guy who was in Stockhom at a pre-listening of the Opeth album:

-It was played in 5.1 surround system and according to the writer the mix was good although he's usually not a fan of playing rock in other than stereo format. Åkerfeldt himself said "I first heard the record today and I didn't know they were going to play it to the media in surround. I had my doubts, but the end-result made me have goose bumps"

-It's about 56 minutes long.

-Draws to mind Sabbath, Beatles, jazz, King Crimson, Cream, Rainbow, Floyd, funk, Purple, Piirpauke, classical, My Dying Bride, folk, Love, Jethro Tull, Maiden…

-No death metal parts or growling

-No modern style of "wall of guitar tracks".

-Lots of keys, piano and mellotron are featured. Some intros include clarinet and contrabass.

- "We aren't concerned about other people's opinions", Åkerfeldt stated. "If fans of death metal can't enjoy this, that's their problem"

The band leader also said that he had grown tired of extreme metal already in the 90s, but couldn't explain why the previous record still included death growls.

"I have wanted to make a record like this since I was 20", Åkerfeldt said and added that making it would not have been possible without the metal roots that brought them success.

The journalist also says: "In any case, some metal fans will have troule with Heritage, but if your hopes are more in the 70s, this album can only work. This is probably safe to assume after a single listen.

The first 7 songs are insanely good, the other 3 a bit less so."

This is pretty much what I was expecting. I hope it's all true. If so, it might be one of their best albums.

Ooh, interesting, although I was kinda looking forward to hearing some death growls. DTP's Ghost would've been enough for me as a calm record. Nevertheless, I'll be happy as long as it's good.

Hmmm... after reading what has been posted, I'm still very excited.

I have mixed feelings as a whole, though... I love Opeth's mellow stuff, but I also love their heavy stuff. Damnation/Deliverance double album release is the perfect solution for somebody like me.

I hope that Opeth is not DONE with death growls... which is what it sort of sounds like.

I am excited for growl free albums, but I still need the other half of me filled... Nobody does the heavy parts like them!