Official Off Topic Thread

Saxophone. Of course. Honestly, I'm awaiting their 2nd too. It'll be interesting.

Heard some streams of the new Threshold... meh. Mac had political leanings that gave the music an edge. It's kind of gone now. The lyrics are still political but without any charge.

See, if I saw the Time I art 15 years ago when I was first getting into this genre, I would have been blown away by how cool it is.
Instead, I'm blown away by how exactly the same it is as every other band. He must have some kind of PS auto-filter-band-cover-generator. Insert logo in silvery font here.

The art is meh, but that's not the point.

Essentially the thing with the guy who made the artwork, Cameron Gray, is that apparently all his work looks like that (I checked his website). Sorta vague and blurry and very busy with different light effects. Not the worst thing, but sort of a one trick pony.

Who's that other guy who does basically everyone's prog metal artwork? He's just as guilty. Name escapes me now though.

edit - actually, all of them are like that. So if you want the Trav cover you go to him, you want the Noren cover you go to him, etc. It's really like picking between 3-4 pre-made pieces/styles. Done yourself is way, way better.

Who's that other guy who does basically everyone's prog metal artwork? He's just as guilty. Name escapes me now though.

edit - actually, all of them are like that. So if you want the Trav cover you go to him, you want the Noren cover you go to him, etc. It's really like picking between 3-4 pre-made pieces/styles. Done yourself is way, way better.

Necrolord/Kristian Wåhlin who actually did the first Wintersun is an another standard style although I actually like his work...

But that actually puts it perfectly. All these guys seem to do a consistent but surpriseless job each time. The metal genre as a whole has always suffered from having generally uninspired album covers, even the good bands. Symphony X has no good album covers either, for example. It's also clear that the few high profile guys are used way too much.

If someone in your band has any talent in producing visual art, that is obviously the way to go, but even if you don't have anyone capable of that, I don't understand why they can't go for someone who isn't primarily known for making album covers. Hell, I think pretty much everyone knows some good visual artists. I, for example, have a few friends who could produce something interesting for very little money. I also sometimes see fanmade cover arts, which prove out to be better than the official ones. I feel like it is an aspect that is not given even close enough thought by the bands these days. Such a shame.

This is not even directly relating to the Wintersun cover art as I feel it's ok and I can understand what Jari wanted from the art (as the new one still has a lot of the same themes and colours the leaked one had), but I think he would've been better off even just sticking to Wåhlin's artwork again (Ensiferum has and I actually don't mind them just doing the Väinämöinen thing a billion times although I don't listen to their music that much anymore).

It looks like one of those Finnish airbrush t-shirts. The ones that are popular at like wal-mart in the US, I've heard.

I don't care about album covers anymore though. It's not like I'll be seeing them.

So Wintersun - Time I is actually going to be released October 12th

:tickled:

See, if I saw the Time I art 15 years ago when I was first getting into this genre, I would have been blown away by how cool it is.
Instead, I'm blown away by how exactly the same it is as every other band. He must have some kind of PS auto-filter-band-cover-generator. Insert logo in silvery font here.

+1

I'm really not impressed with it either and I think the other one was kinda better but I don't really care at this point. I'd get it even without one. But yeah metal covers fail these days. I still prefer prog rock ones.

Why did they change it? I'm guessing one of them is a special edition cover? It does look better.

I think most likely because Jari got pissed off at the artist of the original for leaking it (on his myspace) 3 years before the album was released.

I've heard of this Pandora thing for years now. Is it something I should check out?

It's a nice service. But country-limited due to rights.

Basically you tell it bands you like, it plays them streaming and also finds similar ones based on analysis. Pretty good for finding new stuff you didn't know about.