Official Off Topic Thread

Damn, SSD's really make a difference. I didn't know physical hard drives were such a bottleneck.

True that. Everytime I have to use a HDD based computer again, I just wanna kill myself. If you have money to spend on your PC, it must go there. I don't even know why HDD's are still being used for OS drives on new computers. You get the big, new CPU and GPU, 16gb of RAM and the computer is in fact almost as slow as they were 8 years ago because of the HDD.

It is MUCH faster than a HDD cause you don't have to spin the platter and seek the head. It just goes straight through the transistors. Essential for new OS drives or audio sample library drives.

Jeff: You fuckin rule

SSD's don't have as much memory though, right?

well first of all the gain in speed and responsiveness is worth the sacrifice in capacity imo (you don't need a new pc to notice the difference btw, it's a great way to bring an old pc to life). Second, if you need a lot of storage you DON'T necessarily have to completely let go of big hard drives, that's the great thing. You simply use the SSD for your OS and applications and the big (internal, or external in case if laptop) hard drive for the crapload of music and movies if you have that.

Personally a 128GB is pretty much enough to run my OS and apps, the rest goes to the hard drive. Absolutely worth it.

I've been heavily leaning towards getting a SSD, but at the same time I don't want to also have to get a HDD as well if I end up needing more memory.

And only Arjen cares. :)

Seriously, who can credit the guy? He assembles a massive crew of top shelf musicians each time, and the result is more like a try-hard musical theatre than an album. They're always lyrically poor. If he'd just let go of the reins I think that he could really assemble a powerful piece for once. Sure, each of his albums has the one or two accidentally well-crafted songs. But that's really it.

Or the one or two accidentally badly-crafted songs. The rest are purposely cheesy and very enjoyable to listen to

My neighbor called me and ranted my ear off for literally an hour when he heard a new Ayreon album was coming out.

I can't stomach the purposefully cheesy. It's not like good cheese. Good cheese is like when you got that perfect nacho dip or something. This is like really bad stinky cheese the size of a house. Run away.

It comes down to taste. I can play Arjen's stuff around the dorm and all of my roommates (one likes glam metal/old school metal, one likes electronic music, and one that other loves rap) can tolerate it as apposed to when I play something heavier or more orchestrated.