Ok folks, just spoke with Lizard's wife

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
I just got off the phone with Lizard's wife. They seem to be taken care of as far as insurances, goverment stuff etc. that Richard had set up.

He passed away due to a Hypertensive Hemorrhage in his brain. They found him slumped under his desk and he had been there for about five hours apparently. It happened on September 5. He was indeed 48, his son Noah is 22 I think she said.

She was actually surprised to be hearing about so many friends that he had online etc. and it made her very happy to know how well liked he was.

She is interested in seeing his postings from here but she isn't very computer savvy and was wondering if there was another way to do it. I told herI/we would be happy to print out some of his more recent posts and send along to them.

She said they were taken care of, but if we all decide that we would like to send along some sort of money gift let me know and we can arrange it all to go through me or whomever we designate, so we can send one lump sum. I told her I would not give out their address too too many people so thay they didn't have constant mail coming in about this.

Let me know your thoughts.

Ok, I suppose we'll all pass on our cards/letters/gifts to you then as you already have the address, is that going to be ok? We'll all just come up with whatever individually, but a large group gift wouldn't be a bad idea either instead of everyone sending flowers, etc. Everyone send a card and pitch in for a gift?

I like the idea of us sending a card or whatever item to a central location, and then forwarding it out from there. It could all be "Scrapbooked" with some of his posts and etc.

General Zod said:
I'm up for anything; financial gift to his family, donation made in his name, etc.

Zod

Me too, but it'd definitely be better for someone to spearhead the whole thing, as said earlier.

EDIT: Stickied so we can keep track of this better and so it remains a focal point of the forum.

MetalAges said:
She is interested in seeing his postings from here but she isn't very computer savvy and was wondering if there was another way to do it. I told herI/we would be happy to print out some of his more recent posts and send along to them.

Gah! Please censor out the stuff that makes us look like deviants. :loco:

She said they were taken care of, but if we all decide that we would like to send along some sort of money gift let me know and we can arrange it all to go through me or whomever we designate, so we can send one lump sum. I told her I would not give out their address too too many people so thay they didn't have constant mail coming in about this.

Let me know your thoughts.

How about this...

I'm going to send you a card and small check donation which you can forward to his family. I'll even include the appropriate postal stamps for you to use on the forwarding envelope, knowing it's going to Ohio from wherever you are.

When you get a chance, please provide your mailing address. Perhaps others might want to follow suit.

Make sure his family knows he sent us assorted edibles and how much they were appreciated and that he adopted me and Erik (not in a gay or creepy way) and that we miss him :cry:
edit: // fotmbm but johanna as well except for the adoption, that would make it creepy indeed

I am down to send something to you Deron and you send it out ... give us an address please.

A lot of you know me already, or at least that I do a lot of biz in the music work place etc. so if you all trust me, I would not mind at all receiving everything and forwarding one big packageto them. It would make it much easier. I will probably donate some $ and a card myself. I figure they can use the $ for whatevertheir needs may call for, pleasure or otherwise. If it is ok with everyone that sends along a check, I would cash it here and send a lump money order to them.

What do you all think about opening it up to the entire UM community? Russell mentioned something about that and I don't mind. It could only help to add to any gift they may receive.

Once we finalize this game plan I will post my address in the first post and we can get it all started.

I also thought we may want to edit SOME of the stuff out of the posts that we send along haha. I think they will get a kick out of the pic of him sending the stuff to Erik etc. and things like that. I'm also going to print out the thread where we were talking about his passing etc.

sounds fantastic ... and do open it up for the whole UM ... at least the NEVERMORE & KAYO DOT forums where he hung out.

Yeah, I was thinking a UM-wide announcement would be fitting... After all, he was important to the site as a whole, as well as RC. Do you want to post it Deron, or should I, or anyone else for that matter?

Also should we direct peole towards a central thread where they can leave a message for his family somewhere on UM?

Whatever happens I'll be sending a card and some cash to you Deron ASAP.

This should be interesting to try to find some suitable stuff to show her, I hope she has a good sense of humor as lizard did, she'd love it. And hopefully she isn't offended by the large number of expletives we use.:ill:

I'm going to send a card and message and try to find a post office around here. I'm actually in Fort Worth right now and will be for a couple weeks and I assume we want to get this done pretty quickly.

I think a lot of us also posted a message on the guestbook at the newspaper website if you wanted to print those out for her too.

Russell said:
Yeah, I was thinking a UM-wide announcement would be fitting... After all, he was important to the site as a whole, as well as RC. Do you want to post it Deron, or should I?

Also should we direct peole towards a central thread where they can leave a message for his family somewhere on UM?

Whatever happens I'll be sending a card and some cash to you Deron ASAP.

Can you post it? You're better at wording things than I am :) - also if you could work up the wording of what we're doing and I can start a brand new thread for everyone in the announcements forum. I will post my address there but for you to have it for your announcements:

UM.com Richard "Lizard" Burr donations
9320 Fringe Tree Lane
Manassas, Va 20110

Opening it up to all of UM sounds ok since we're all part of the same community....but I'm sure it goes without saying that a central thread would need serious moderation.

Opening it up to the forums he frequented perhaps makes more sense to me, just because the responses will be more personal. I think the family would appreciate this, otherwise it looks like spam. You'll get lots of comments like, "well I have no clue who this lizard dude is but RIP anyway". Kinda pointless.

@Deron -- I have no problem with you forwarding cards, or sending over a lump sum. In that case, I won't send you an accompanying check, I'll just paypal you some $.

Also, let's set a deadline for all packages to be mailed out no later than October 14, 2006 - that gives everything enough tim eto arrive but gives people a little time to send along things.

JayKeeley said:
@Deron -- I have no problem with you forwarding cards, or sending over a lump sum. In that case, I won't send you an accompanying check, I'll just paypal you some $.

I'll do paypal if you need, check would almost be preferred so we don't have to dork with Paypal fees being taken out etc., well check/money order, etc. - just let me know.

MetalAges said:
I'll do paypal if you need, check would almost be preferred so we don't have to dork with Paypal fees being taken out etc., well check/money order, etc. - just let me know.

Good point. I'll send a check with the card.