Ok folks, just spoke with Lizard's wife

JayKeeley said:
Opening it up to all of UM sounds ok since we're all part of the same community....but I'm sure it goes without saying that a central thread would need serious moderation.

Opening it up to the forums he frequented perhaps makes more sense to me, just because the responses will be more personal. I think the family would appreciate this, otherwise it looks like spam. You'll get lots of comments like, "well I have no clue who this lizard dude is but RIP anyway". Kinda pointless.

Yeah, both valid points. As the fifth highest poster on UM, and such a character tho, I think it would be good to open it up to the entire website, just in case there are people that knew him from forums they have since stopped posting on... Just to make sure everyone finds out, and we can direct them to a central memorial thread so people know what they are writing will go to his family. We can, of course, choose carefully which posts to pass on to his family and moderate it as needed.

Ok, after much deliberation this is the announcement:

It is with great regret and heartfelt sadness that I have to announce the passing of UM regular Richard Burr, known to us all as Lizard. A regular on the Royal Carnage, Nevermore and Kayo Dot forums, Richard was one of UM’s biggest characters, known for his irrepressible sense of humour, sharp wit and unfaltering kindness. There are few people on the internet who would send a package of beef jerky, Doritos, and pre-cooked bacon halfway around the world to two snackless Swedes, yet Lizard did so without a second thought when he heard about his ‘adopted sons’’ predicament. Even those who knew Richard only from occasional posts around the forums have spoken of their respect for him – if Lizard was posting in a thread they would read it not only because they were guaranteed a laugh, but also a great many insightful posts and quirky world view.

If you want to send a card, or contribute to a gift package for Richard’s wife and son, details can be found here. You can also leave a message of condolence in the thread which will be passed on to his family. After four years on UM, Lizard’s presence will be sorely missed. The site won’t be the same without him, but the sense of loss many of us feel must be nothing in comparison to that of his family. It is impossible to even contemplate the hurt, sorrow and grief Richard’s wife, Erica and son, Noah must be feeling, and our thoughts are with them at this very difficult time.

Does anyone think anything should be added or removed? Also I wanted to end it with a quote from someone Lizard liked, and would have approved of - does anyone have any ideas? Maybe even one of his own posts, if anyone can find one that's fitting.

I'm glad you approve. It is quite honestly one of the hardest things I've ever had to write - it took me well over an hour of writing, re-wording and re-writing to get to that stage. How can you possibly try to convey the "essence" of a person in words?

Anyway, I hope it conveys something of what he was like. We were thinking of putting a picture up as well, probably this one:

163592985_l.jpg

Great job russell. I never really spoke with him, but this is just freaky. Anytime someone remotely close dies its terrible. My condolonces go out to his family.

I believe this post would be a great one for his wife and son

lizard said:
my wife didn't know
that I'm shredding in heaven
til she saw the plane.

Thanks for the quote Zack, we'll have a little wait and see what else is suggested and then choose the collective favourite, I think. In the mean time I'll post the announcement before I go to bed, and then we can edit any changes into it tomorrow when everybody has had a chance to have a think.

^ I just realized what the context of the quote was, and now I'm thinking maybe it isn't so good :erk:

Cheers to Metal Ages and Russell for their work on this!

I spent my day at work pretty bummed out. I had been thinking of all these things I was going to tell Lizard when he came back from vacation or whatever. Then to find out he's never coming back :erk: