Okay, Matt, I have to ask...

:lol:

It has varied over the years quite a bit. I've been working out seriously for, oh, 10-12 years now. My routine has varied from going 6 days a week and hitting each muscle group twice, to 6 times a week 1 day per muscle type, to 3 days a week doing each muscle group once, etc.

The most hard core ever was obviously 6 times a week one muscle type a day. It was something like this:

* Monday - Chest & Abs
* Tuesday - Back & Cardio
* Wednesday - Shoulders/Traps & Calves
* Thursday - Triceps & Cardio
* Friday - Biceps & Abs
* Saturday - Legs & Cardio
* Sunday - Abs & Cardio

I typically do 3 sets per exercise, and try for 10+ reps. If I am doing a heavier lift to add mass, I'll do 4-6 reps minimum (unless I'm maxing out, which I rarely do). I usually do 4-5 exercises per muscle group as well, escpecially for the larger ones (chest, legs, back, shoulders).

These days given my hectic work, home, and band schedule, I usually go 3-4 times a week and do 2 things a day. Like this:

* Day 1: Chest/Tris/Abs
* Day 2: Back/Bis/Calves
* Day 3: Shoulders/Traps/Abs
* Day 4: Legs

And I'll do cardio in there if I have time. Cardio is of course very important, but unfortunately it's the first thing I cut when running behind. :( And when I only make the gym 3 times, I'll pick up the next week where I left off.

If you want some exercises to try, I can give you a list of a "typical" workout I do now. If you are advanced, I can give you my old routines too.

:cool:

Wow! That was one hell of a routine.I don't have enough discipline to follow something like that. The only working out I do is walking. But, maybe I may pick up some weights again someday.

Snowy Owl said:
Wow! That was one hell of a routine.I don't have enough discipline to follow something like that. The only working out I do is walking. But, maybe I may pick up some weights again someday.

I really regret not sticking with my weight lifting back in 2001. I enjoyed doing it, but of course once I left San Diego to go back to Hawaii (ex-navy here) I stopped doing it.

RandyEllefson said:
how much do you charge to be a personal trainer? ;)
Don't know - never thought about it. I've done some before, but usually with local friends that I train/whoop into shape. :D

RandyEllefson said:
I just started working out after years of not doing it, but I'm paranoid of hurting my stupid tendonitis-ridden arms.
The thing about tendons is they take longer to heal and you have to make sure you go slow. Even if you work out weekly and are hardcore, taking off 2 weeks and trying to jump back into it where you left off can pose problems.

Just take it slow and don't worry about how much you lift. It's much more important to do slower, controlled reps. Also, think about the muscle you're working and try to get a good "squeeze" out of it. Flexing the muscle at it's peak can help gain strength and size.

:Smokin:

Snowy Owl said:
Actually, discipline is the key to trying to build size, definition, or strength. And it can be tough, but usually it is hardest to get into it. Once you get rolling, it is much easier (though still requires discipline of course)...

Death Metal Cookie Monster said:
That would be great :)
Sure! I'll start with arms since I did that today. If you need a description of the exercise, just ask. I'll assume you know what they mean otherwise.

Warm up! This is important. I usually use a 5lb plate and rotate my arm at the shoulder to make sure I don't tear a rotator cuff. I also do light curles (bis) and extensions (tris) for a couple of sets.

Exercise 1

Superset (4 sets)
Bis: cambered barbell curls x10
tris: kickbacks x10

Exercise 2

Superset (4 sets)
Bis: seated dumbell hammer curls x10
tris: cable extensions (straight bar) x10

For hammer curls, make sure you do both arms together. Doing one at a time gives you more torque, and you can lift more by using non targeted muscles. Doing them together allows you to focus.

Exercise 3

Superset (4 sets)
Bis: seated one arm machine curls x10
tris: seated overhead extensions x10

For all exercises and something more advanced, go up in weight each set, and still try to get 8-10 reps. For your last set if it is really heavy, 6-8 reps is okay.

I also usually do abs and calves on days I don't do cardio. For abs, I did crunches on an exercise ball. 3 sets of 45+. For calves, I do raises. Usually multiple sets of 10-12 at 100-150lbs (machine) or with body weight by using a ledge of some sort.

This may not seem like too much, but remember that bicepts are the smallest of musle groups (only 2 of them, hence bi ;)), and triceps are much larger, but still only 3 (tri).

I tend to hit chest, legs, and back much heavier. I also hit shoulders/traps fairly heavy. I'll give you sample workouts for those another time. :)

And don't forget, working out is only part of the equation. Sleep is important (for recovery), and diet is very important. Depending on your goals, you'll need to adjust calories and the type of food you intake more/less of (protein, carbs, fat, etc.).

Hope that helps!

I figured you worked out, as you do look built!

I workout myself. I try to go to the gym at least twice a week (usually every tuesday and thursday after work).

I start off with a half-hour cardio (usually the eliptical).

I then do a full-body circuit workout with the wieghts, starting with squats, lunges, lat-pull downs, cable row, chest press, shoulder press, lat extensions, curls, tricept kick-backs, hams, quads, and abs. I do two sets of 15 reps at each station. It seems to be working as I've definitly lost weight and gained some muscle tone since I started about 2 years or so ago. I am also now trying to cut back on all the pop and such, just drinking water at work. I also try to get something like turkey sandwiches and the like for lunch instead of hitting McDonalds all the time.

I pretty much do this to try to stay in shape, as I do ski on a semi-professional basis with the ski patrol. I often do other things, such as hiking along the river and so forth. Not unusual for a me to go hike a solid 10+ miles (although it has been more difficult with the recent heat and such around here - geez was it hot today! I think it a solid 100 here in Fredericksburg!).

The since I am an expert skier, I do ski a lot of the steep stuff and bumps. That is extremely hard on your calfs, thighs and knees. No friggan wonder that I do nearly 300 pounds on those squats on two sets of 15 reps. I really don't know what my max is on those squats. I do know that I've have pushed up over 600 for a couple reps on the leg press, just to see if I could do it.

Matt is right though. Once you get into (and loading up some power/prog metal on the MP3 player certainly helps), it does get easier, but does take some discipline. It gets to the point where I actually feel like I am "missing something" if I ever miss a day at the gym. To damn bad you are not in Fredericksburg anymore, Matt! Would love to have another work-out buddy, although I do work out with one of my good friends here as is.

OdinsCourt said:
Working out is a great distraction. I find that when I'm working out I forget about all the stress from work or whatever else is going on,

Ain't that the truth! Once I get the music flowing from the trusty old MP3 player, and get the sweat flowing during the workout, it is easy for me to forget the stress from work and day-to-day living. Samething when I go out hiking. Once I get far enough back into the woods, it is so peaceful and quiet - nothing but the sound of the river flowing and the breeze blowing. Talk about a way to get away from the stress!

I still need to put a small gym down in the basement. Work is currently my workout. Constantly lifting steel spring leaves 8 hours a day has helped me get in shape. Now I just need to eat much more healthy.