ASK MATT

evilematt

Captain Information
Jan 2, 2006
huddersfield UK
www.evile.co.uk
Hello forumers,

If anyone has any questions they want to ask about ANYTHING Evile or anything at all really, then now is your chance, post in this thread and i will answer as many as i can.

As you know i don't do bookfacespace and twittler so i am here, ask away!

And before you try, the album title and artwork will be released soon.

Matt

I'll just re-ask my questions from Twitter as they weren't answered via the live stream (which, by the way, was bloody terrific);

1) Since each album has been very different from the previous one, what're you going to do this time around in contrast to Five Serpent's Teeth? Ben in drag notwithstanding, sexy as he is :lol:

2) Thrash is limited as hell, everyone knows this. You seem to have managed to get your own sound nowadays, so what do you think it takes for bands to stand out from the rest of the crowd and be, for lack of a better word, 'unique'?

And I'll ask two more, because I'm greedy :D

3) Do you ever feel pressured to write something you're not comfortable with due to demand from fans? It may seem like an odd question, but curiosity and all that jazz hahaha!

4) Who would win in a fight, John Spartan or Snake Plisskin?

This is real neat of you Matt, kudos! Hope you're all well!

thrasherdave:

1) It's probably more aggressive, serpents was quite a 'controlled' album, so you might expect a continuation of that, but that's not where we've gone, the new one has more ETG in it i think, it's definitely faster. It isn't just aggressive though, there's quite a few surprises in it, but good ones.

2) I can't speak for other bands and in a way i can't really say why anything has 'worked' for us because i'm looking at it from the inside, all i can guess at is that we are influenced by more than just thrash (aside from the OBVIOUS influences), a lot of bands are, but i guess it depends how you use it, a lot of our inspiration comes from bands in different genres like entombed, death, queen, beatles, soundgarden, AIC, faith no more, wishbone ash, candlemass, paradise lost, and so on..... we just keep throwing different things in with the thrash to see what works.

3) no, we don't let outside opinion influence what comes out when we write, we don't want to please we want to challenge.

4) Snake, he's a war hero. John Spartan couldn't even wipe his arse properly in the future, did he use his sleeve? we never found out.

Well about God damn time!

1)Will the new album include another ballad? Or better yet, a "Thrashy-Ballad"?
2) Did you ever play WWF Raw on Super Nintendo?
3) Forgive me for being a fan-boy, but how on earth did you gather so much badassery?
4) This is a very stupid question, BUT nevertheless I shall go forth with it, will you include Lebanon in your upcoming tour? (Gentlemen, you may begin laughing your arses off)

Good luck with everything and I hope you guys get the recognition you truly deserve!

What was it like having a musician as a brother when you guys were younger? Were you guys jamming and writing songs way back when you were kids?! If so, that must have been wonderful.

And one more question,
If you had to choose ONE album that had the biggest impact on you as a musician, what would it be?

Hi Matt !

What do you think about the Dave Lombardo / Slayer situation ?

From a Norwegian Evile fan !

Well I havent been here in a while! Hello everyone.

Here go my questions:

1)Did you like Promethues? Why? You dont have to go in to detail. :D

2)What was the last videogame you really enjoyed?

3)Do you not play solos because you enjoy rhythm more or is your brother such a genius (hehe) that you'd rather he do it? And dont get mad because I enjoy Rhythm more myself.

Have you ever given the band Sylosis a listen? They are another English thrash band who are amazing.

also, do you know if you're coming to Australia any time soon? i've been dying to see you guys!

i love your work, Matt. Evile rules, thrash for life!

Yooo

a) will there be a tour across Europe when you've finished the album?

one more question:

b) what is your favourite animal? :D

Rationaleclipse:

1) i have favourites to play live - We who are about to die, Descent into madness, infected nations.

2) i have an ideal tour i would put together - kreator, exodus, evile.

3) Opeth

Clifford:

1) if the new album WERE to include a song like that it would be pretty cool, something EPIC, we'll get working on it.

2) I never played RAW i played wrestlemania on the SNES.

3) human sacrifice

4) we would, we would include everywhere if it were possible for us to do so, we arent exactly a worldwide renowned 'in demand' band so it's difficult to do gigs in places where people may never have heard of you.

cheers!

hey Matt, first thanks for the lyrics from the song "Xaraya" i can see some parts of my life on that song and it keeps me fighting for another day.

second, here goes my questions...and if could answer it i appreciate it:
1) How's been working with Russ?
2) Any band that you wish tour with?
3) How was meet and tour with mr.Phil Anselmo?

I'll try to make this short since there are a buncha questions already.

1) When do you plan on having some more info on the new album (name, tracklist, release date)?
2) That Entombed cover sounded amazing. Has the idea for a death metal (or any other genre, really) side-project crossed your mind?

Cheers and keep making great music.

Hey Matt!

1) Are you planning on release any songs off the new album ahead of the album release, maybe as a itunes single etc?

2) Why did you hardly play any songs off Infected Nations on the last Evile tour? As a band did you think they didn't work as well live as the songs off the other albums, or is it some other reason? For the record I love IN but it is my least favourite Evile album. Or was there no real reason at all? Just curious.

3) I saw you guys at your most recent gig at Corporation in Sheffield in October (awesome gig). You seemed to be about to play a 2nd encore until the venue staff pulled the plug, what song were you going to play? I understand if you don't remember what with all the gigs you guys have played recently, but it's been bugging me!

Ericross:

1) No we didn't do music together when we were younger, we played far too many computer games to be able to do anything else.

2) guns n roses use your illusion 1

Larsolsen:

1) It's a shame, lombardo is great.

Pablockers:

1) I enjoyed the visuals, it looked incredible, but the script was rubbish, the characters were poor and i didnt invest anything in them, except fassbender who was quite good, it was REALLY bad storytelling masquerading as something "profound".

2) I've enjoyed far too many recently, dishonored, skyrim, deus ex, metal gear HD collection - im dying to get my hands on dead space 3 and tomb raider.

3) i'm not very good at lead, my left hand fingers are permanently stuck in a power chord shape.

Bobzo:

yep heard a lot of sylosis, josh is amazing at guitar, hes a really decent guy as well.

We have been trying to get to australia for ages, it's hard when not many people know you though so they won't book you. We are trying though.

cheers!

Thrasharina:

1) At some point but probably not straight away, give you a chance to get familiar with the new album!! Hopefully we can find an awesome band to support later in the year....

2) SHARKS!! and cats, i have 2 cats.

Teresallica:

good to hear!

1) Russ is brilliant, really easy to work with, no pressure at all, and he has no problem with telling us what is shit!

2) world tour with exodus and kreator.

3) We haven't toured with him we've met him a couple of times though, he saw joel backstage at download and sang the thrasher lyrics at him, which is brilliant.

Mdex:

1) soon. release is early summer.

2) thanks! it has crossed my mind yes. when i get bored of evile i'll have a go at it.

Lip50p:

1) we probably will, to let you know what you're in for.

2) Nations songs are weird for me live, there's something about them that just doesnt translate well to the live experience, i think we will drop random ones into setlists now and then, but when someone says "lets play nosophoros" someone else says "yeah but descent into madness is better, lets play that" and we all say "oh yeah".

3) i do remember that, and i remember what happened, since i announce the songs i accidentally missed one out (i think it was killer from the deep maybe??) but luckily missing that song out brought us exactly on the curfew time, so we finished the set and me and joel went off stage right and ol went off stage left, but ben stayed sat down and kept playing drums like we were going to do another, me and joel thought it was finished as we had reached curfew but ben kept playing drums haha making the crowd think we were playing another, so ol ran off to get another pick as he had just thrown them all out, so he was ready to play another as he couldnt see me and joel, the guy just said "no". We werent allowed to do another since they had to clear the stage for the club night, so it all got a bit confusing and embarrassing, bloody club nights eh. nothing you can do about it though really.

Pablockers:

1) I enjoyed the visuals, it looked incredible, but the script was rubbish, the characters were poor and i didnt invest anything in them, except fassbender who was quite good, it was REALLY bad storytelling masquerading as something "profound".

2) I've enjoyed far too many recently, dishonored, skyrim, deus ex, metal gear HD collection - im dying to get my hands on dead space 3 and tomb raider.

3) i'm not very good at lead, my left hand fingers are permanently stuck in a power chord shape.

1)I feel exactly the same.

2)I have to get my hands on Dishonored, Im playing Far Cry 3 at the moment which is amazing and I wasnt expecting it to be. You should give it a go.

3) hahaha. Well youre a good rhythm guitarist, that is very important.

Thanx for your time sir and please keep soothing my ears with your wonderful music in the future.