Okay, so I've decided I like Revalver again.

GarethSE

New Metal Member
Jul 5, 2008
I re-downloaded the demo, downloaded TSS, loaded up boogex with Poidaboi's Engl higher pres impulse, put the 6505 model on, turned up the input voltage to 420 (thanks to Ed for this tip)
then loaded up a couple of DI's posted by a band that wanted their track mixed just to see what it sounded like and to my surprise it sounds pretty focken gorgeous.

A wide cut at 900hz and it was all systems go.

Ima buy this shit soon.. Goddamn

The only other tone I got out of this before was this horrible mushy scooped mess, or maybe it's just down to me, I don't know.
TSS makes a HUGE fuckoff difference. Got the tone knob at 9.56 and it just grinddddds.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/631208/guitars-01.mp3

I want a bunch of DI's to try now haha. The DI's I'm sat here playing with are... uh.. Pretty sloppy, obviously picked with the pick hitting the strings at a weird angle so theres this scratchy harshness there for most of the song.
If anyone's up for giving me a quad tracked full mix to play around with that'd be SUPREMELY awesome. :D

Hard for me to say without a mix... I've torn my hair off trying to get a good tone out of only Revalver, and I never tried my tones in mixes, always got bored/thought they sucked without even testing them out. Some drums would atleast give a good idea if it's a cool tone or not, I found drums make a big difference in the perception of guitar sound... and well, everything. Yea, I'm such a newbie! :p

But I definately recognize the character of the sound hehe, good ol' Revalver! Feels like I know it inside out even though I know probably 10% of what there is to know about it. Some guys just get a wicked tone, can't believe my ears when I hear that.

Hard for me to say without a mix... I've torn my hair off trying to get a good tone out of only Revalver, and I never tried my tones in mixes, always got bored/thought they sucked without even testing them out. Some drums would atleast give a good idea if it's a cool tone or not, I found drums make a big difference in the perception of guitar sound... and well, everything. Yea, I'm such a newbie! :p

But I definately recognize the character of the sound hehe, good ol' Revalver! Feels like I know it inside out even though I know probably 10% of what there is to know about it. Some guys just get a wicked tone, can't believe my ears when I hear that.

Yeah man, I feel like I'm that much closer to THAT revalver sound that I wanted from the first place.
TSS and poidaboi's FANTASTIC impulse make a huge difference.
And yeah I can't really judge this tone on his own but I think this is pretty close to how I'd process it in a mix.
There's a big wide cut at 900hz (thanks Dandelium :D), a cut at 5khz, a boost at 8khz, a thin cut at 100hz and a cut around 500hz aswell i think. HP at 50hz and LP as 12khz in boogex.

And mark, open the tweak options, click on the first tube and set the input voltage to 420, that gives it a huge boost in saturated gain and makes everything sound a bit more.. I dunno. Thick and creamy and noyce.
It should be set to 350 by default, so you can spot it. 420 seems a bit high though so I'm going to play with it more tomorrow.

These DI's are pretty bad though, really bad picking, scratchy as fuck D:
So thanks Unavoidable, I'll have a good play with the files tomorrow :)

The more I've played with this today the more I've wanted to take my guitar recordings to the digital realm. It's much easier to dial in a good tone on this than I ever would have thought :D

I wanna hear more when you've got sum'! Also, keep me/us posted here with all your progress, I could use some new fresh ideas for Revalver myself. The voltage on the first tube you mentioned seems interesting for example.

Cheers!