It's tough when your internet home gets moved, but let me make a few points for you.
* This VBulletin format encourages continous discussion. It allows older threads to be "topped" so that everyone gets to see them, not just those who visit the boards more regularly.
* They also encourage more of a community spirit. As someone who has used both types (scrolling boards and VB's) I have to say that it's hard to get to know people as well on the older types of boards. People are more noticeable on these, and it is easier to cultivate an online prescence (should you wish to do so) that allows you to be instantly recognisable to your friends and others.
* Obviously for some smileys are not very important, but for others they are another addition in the personalisation of the forum and thus the community.
* Private Messages (PM's) are also available to you, and can be aspersonalised as the forums, with smileys etc. These are a great way of communicating when subjects get off topic, or just for keepin gin touch. When you log onto the forums you will be told at the bottom of the screen if there are messages waiting for you (this may just be in the main forum screen, but still it's only a lick away).
* Because of the boards place as part of the Ultimate Metal forums it means that even more people will have access to your forum, and may discover music that they were unaware of before hand. Surely new fans for Nevermore is a positive thing?
There will always be one or two people that don't want to change, but ultimately what you have is bigger, better, and brighter home for sharing your love of a band. And at the end of the day thats all that should matter.