Old Board Users

LSDphilosophy

Chemical Pariah
Aug 30, 2001
Oregon
Visit site
I am having old board withdrawls. I am sitting here pissed that it takes me two hours to see who has responded to messages. Are you users of the old forum going to post here. You guys rock especially Fear and Loathing and Mags. I need my laughs. I miss the old board. And those damned smiley faces need to be eliminated.

When they take everything away from you what do you have

obviously it doesn't take me 2 hours, i'm not that slow. But the old board worked much better for my tastes. There's just too much damn nonsense on this forum. the old one was just simple and neat and no bullshit. This will be the first and last time I use one of these:( .:cry: .

It's tough when your internet home gets moved, but let me make a few points for you. :)

* This VBulletin format encourages continous discussion. It allows older threads to be "topped" so that everyone gets to see them, not just those who visit the boards more regularly.

* They also encourage more of a community spirit. As someone who has used both types (scrolling boards and VB's) I have to say that it's hard to get to know people as well on the older types of boards. People are more noticeable on these, and it is easier to cultivate an online prescence (should you wish to do so) that allows you to be instantly recognisable to your friends and others.

* Obviously for some smileys are not very important, but for others they are another addition in the personalisation of the forum and thus the community.

* Private Messages (PM's) are also available to you, and can be aspersonalised as the forums, with smileys etc. These are a great way of communicating when subjects get off topic, or just for keepin gin touch. When you log onto the forums you will be told at the bottom of the screen if there are messages waiting for you (this may just be in the main forum screen, but still it's only a lick away).

* Because of the boards place as part of the Ultimate Metal forums it means that even more people will have access to your forum, and may discover music that they were unaware of before hand. Surely new fans for Nevermore is a positive thing?

There will always be one or two people that don't want to change, but ultimately what you have is bigger, better, and brighter home for sharing your love of a band. And at the end of the day thats all that should matter.

How do you get to know people when you have to click a bunch of crap to see who answered to your post? The only name you see is the last person who replied to your post, you have to make a point to go back and check, it's definately not as easy as when all the names were in your face - people you didn't like, you could just ignore...now you are forced to look at every reply to your post, or one you're interested in. I don't mean to seem so resitant to the new format, I'm just extremely partial to the old board - and old schoolers know you can use emoticons with your : and your ) - sure, not as pretty, but we all know what they mean.

Between ICQ, hotmail messenger, and AOL IM, I think I have ebough ways of private messenging - somethines using all those gets complicated enough!!!! Heh.

If you take a look at the thread lists, the number indicating the amount of replies is actually a link - click it, and it will say who has replied (and how many times).

You can also subscribe to any thread you wish (or even the entire forum) and get an email whenever someone posts.

Obviously, the style of forum is different to what you're used to, but I personally prefer to see all replies to a thread in one page rather than having to click through to each reply. But, then, opinions do differ;)

Originally posted by mgp
Between ICQ, hotmail messenger, and AOL IM, I think I have ebough ways of private messenging - somethines using all those gets complicated enough!!!! Heh.

The PMs are actually an on-board email type system, where you can keep in touch with people without needing to know their email/icq/whatever. :)

Originally posted by LSDphilosophy
I am having old board withdrawls. I am sitting here pissed that it takes me two hours to see who has responded to messages. Are you users of the old forum going to post here. You guys rock especially Fear and Loathing and Mags. I need my laughs. I miss the old board. And those damned smiley faces need to be eliminated.

When they take everything away from you what do you have

if you don't like it, blame capitalism and join me in washington dc at the end of september to get our faces bashed by a bunch of pigs, i mean cops.

"When they take everything away from you what do you have"

you have yourself.

"And those damned smiley faces need to be eliminated."

how do i make a face that's throwing up? =() ::::::::::::::

I knew I liked you Fear. You got that question right, when they take away everything you have yourself.

Why are some of these people trying to convince us how good this board is. It is just a fact the old one is better...hahahaha. You new board users have no concept of the greatness you are looking at when reading Fear and Loathings messages hahaha. And where the hell is Mags and others from the better board.

The only complaint I have about the new forum is that the navigation menu that used to connect the UM forums is gone, and I've had to log back in again on two occasions. I wasn't on the old message board, and I'm more accustomed to the Ultimate BB and find it far more convenient than scrolling text-based forums.

P.S. I find the smilies and the avatars provided here (I borrowed mine from an Iced Earth BB) to be pretty stupid as well...

One thing that really bothers me about this forum is that you can't reply to a specific post within a thread and have it show up right under that post. Your reply will always be way at the end, even if the post you wanted to reply to was like the 3rd one within the thread.

And why do they have to keep a tally on how many posts someone has made anyway?

Really?? Didn't know people get so uptight about numbers around here... That's stupid. I guess some people have the attitude that posting 1,592 times means they're somebody around here, or that they're "more metal" or whatever...

Originally posted by Aida
Really?? Didn't know people get so uptight about numbers around here... That's stupid. I guess some people have the attitude that posting 1,592 times means they're somebody around here, or that they're "more metal" or whatever...

They DON'T get uptight about that here. And if you want to reply to someone's post, click the 'quote' button on their post and you can respond in context.

Originally posted by Mark

They DON'T get uptight about that here. And if you want to reply to someone's post, click the 'quote' button on their post and you can respond in context.

Oh well Mark at least I think this is a cool set-up. this kind's on the Halford board too and I love it better this way. Also that Unregistered guy had good points too...