Old or new Opeth?

Old or new?

• Total voters
Moonlapse said:
Yeah, I don't like splitting it in half like that either. I don't think Orchid or Morningrise match the sheer genius of MAYH and SL. But simply for those two albums alone I'll take 'old' Opeth.
Exactly how i felt - My favourite two albums are Still Life and My Arms Your Hearse .. Then BWP and Damnation or GR.

BWP, Deliverance, Damnation, Ghost Reveries.

The other 4 are all great, but there are 2 main reasons why I like the newest 4 better:

1. The production

2. Martin Lopez

Can't choose...I love the whole catalogue...depends on what mood I'm in although I have to say the MAYH is probably my hands down favorite...other than that, each album I think deserves it's own accolades...

FUBAR said:
Lopez is on the previous 2 releases?

the only albums M Lo isn't on is Orchid and Morningrise...

in reference to the earlier debate in this thread about which albums to label as which:
orchid and morningrise are quite similar, altho morningrise is slightly better written than most of orchid. they are clearly more primitive albums than anything written since.

MAYH definitely showed their progress, and right thru up to damnation they grew and evolved in many ways. the production on this album was almost the best suited for opeth. BWP is supremely done (bows down to steve wilson) and damnation also, but MAYH entails a most beautiful mixture of beauty and brutality in its production that no other album has really captured so well.

that said, SL and BWP do a fkn top effort!

each album from MAYH on has evolved so much that its almost hard to categorise each of those albums (basically thinking of damnation/deliverance as one album here) under one timeframe. unless it was called "the evolution stage".

GR is enjoyable, altho harlequinn strikes me as the only track that naturally flows onwards from their previous works. probably my fave for the album. gorgeous guitar tone at the very start, with the kick in...

why did i establish all that drivel?

simply so i can kinda get around answering the old V new question!

if O' and M'rise are "old stuff" and GR is the "new stuff", then its that middle 'evolution stage' that i greatly greatly prefer. not every band continues to try new ideas and come up with fresh and interesting music album after album - this is why i love opeth so.

*...that said, i thoroughly enjoy the 3 albums on either side of E'Stage, they're great! but they truly dont match it on various levels with anything in between...*

Triste said:
:zombie:
TOO evolved?
Explain please...
Oops... maybe I should!

Their songs tended to be a lot more acoustic and simple. Their sound occasionally sounded more like black metal than death metal or progressive, and their new stuff is more unique and variated. That's all. Any more questions?

Old, easily. Morningrise is my favorite Opeth album and Still Life is a close second.

I perfer the earlier albums, but you can't really catagorize considering each album is different from the rest.

If the question were split into middle Opeth albums and first and last two, the question would be much easier. But, because of MAYH and Still Life, I voted early.

No, the split is good. The newest 4 lack real emotion, but make up for it with better structure and coherence. The oldest 4 are full of emotion and atmosphere, and that is what I am more into, so I voted that.