old school metal is still done best by old school bands

Aside from Slough Feg's "Traveller", anyone care to list a few great recent "old school" albums released by new artists?

Jotenheim
Battle Ram
Doomsword
Battleroar
Icy Steel (or whatever the fuck their name is)
Assedium
Arpyian Horde
Wrathblade
Heathen Hoof
Morningstar
Dantesco
Herald
Hibria
Holy Martyr
Ironsword
Killingsworth
October 31
Old Season
Ritual Steel
Twisted Tower Dire
Stormwarrior
Upwards Of Endtime
Earthlord
Wotan

For most involved bands this doesn't say a lot, that's my point... And there's loads of newer bands doing it better, with actual passion, that's my point.

Looking at Necuratul's list, I think we're getting confused between new bands "flying the flag" for old school metal, while doing a good job, and those bands who once released the greatest metal of all time, and yet are STILL able to deliver some goods - albeit not as good as their own older material, but fuck, they've paid their dues in spades. I think some credit is well deserved, no?

That's all I'm saying -- it's amazing that these bands have still got some quality left in them. It's not like these latest releases are complete duds, on the contrary, they're actually fucken good IMO. :kickass:

Your thread title says "old school metal is still done best by old school bands." By "old school bands" I'm assuming you mean the veteran bands who pioneered/helped build/popularize the genre. But it's simply not true in my experience that "old school metal is still done best by old school bands," because most of the output these days by "old school bands" sucks. If that's not the point you're making, then I'm sorry for misunderstanding. Do you simply mean that some of these old bands don't completely suck today? Because that I can at least agree with, but I don't agree that their current output is better than what newer bands are doing/have done in their wake.

However, I have to disagree with your assessment of recent Thrash band resurgences - I have to say that pretty much all of it with the exception of Heathen has sucked quite a bit. :tickled:

Your thread title says "old school metal is still done best by old school bands." By "old school bands" I'm assuming you mean the veteran bands who pioneered/helped build/popularize the genre. But it's simply not true in my experience that "old school metal is still done best by old school bands," because most of the output these days by "old school bands" sucks. If that's not the point you're making, then I'm sorry for misunderstanding.

No, you read me right. I seem to be enjoying the latest Candlemass, King Diamond, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, WASP more than anything released by Battleroar, Dantesco, and some of the other stuff on your list.

I'm not saying it's their best stuff ever, but man oh man, I'm very impressed by what's been coming out in the last 24 months. There's definitely been a stretch of really solid releases. This is some of the best stuff these bands have released since their late 80's material.

However, I have to disagree with your assessment of recent Thrash band resurgences - I have to say that pretty much all of it with the exception of Heathen has sucked quite a bit. :tickled:

Yeah I don't know about thrash, death, etc. Just old school traditional I suppose. I don't even think I could list any modern thrash bands playing old school thrash. Exit to Eternity maybe? I dunno, perhaps 1 or 2 other novelty acts.

Oh and throw the last Celtic Frost in there too. That was one of the greatest albums of 2006.

Based on the 3 new songs with Sabbath & Dio, I would pre-order a full length from them tomorrow (if they were planning to do a full album).

I'm sure there's others, but I'll have to go check my iPud or something.

No, you read me right. I seem to be enjoying the latest Candlemass, King Diamond, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, WASP more than anything released by Battleroar, Dantesco, and some of the other stuff on your list.

I'm not saying it's their best stuff ever, but man oh man, I'm very impressed by what's been coming out in the last 24 months. There's definitely been a stretch of really solid releases. This is some of the best stuff these bands have released since their late 80's material.

Hmm...I guess we simply disagree then, on most counts anyway. For example, I think the new Black Sabbath stuff was pretty damn good (albeit not some of the best stuff I've heard in recent times), but Megadeth and WASP did absolutely nothing for me. Also, I was debating even putting Battleroar on my list...they're honestly bottom of the barrel stuff for me as far as newer traditional Metal bands go for me.While I agree that a lot of older bands are producing the best material they've put out in many years, I just don't think that that's saying very much in 9 out of 10 cases.

Yeah I don't know about thrash, death, etc. Just old school traditional I suppose. I don't even think I could list any modern thrash bands playing old school thrash. Exit to Eternity maybe? I dunno, perhaps 1 or 2 other novelty acts.

Lethal? :loco:

This thread is incorrect because motherfuckers like me hear the new stuff by killer old bands and go 'No thanks you sound not like your old self and stuff'. Mmmmm to first beers in 3 months.

Uhm, yeah. So how are you guys buying like 50 albums a month? I swear Necuratul's post had more bands in it than I have in my collection. Ahh, never mind, I've brought this up before.
Carry on.