old school metal is still done best by old school bands

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
These days, the best old school traditional metal is again being released by old school bands. Am I right?

The new Sabbath songs with Dio....totally wicked
WASPs latest release....very solid
Megadeth....best since Youthanasia
Candlemass.....holy crap, just when I thought the vocals couldn't get better
King Diamond...sure "Puppet Master" is a couple of years old but it's still his latest release and one of his best ever
Maiden's "Matter of Life and Death" is probably their most consistent since 7th Son

There's definitely a pattern emerging here, is there not? I suppose the only real negative factor I can think of right now is the latest Manowar album. Man, that sucks big time.

Agree / Disagree?

Also, can the same apply to old school death metal? or black metal? Not so much maybe....

Dismember - The God That Never Was, was their best since Like and Everflowing Stream.

Maybe it's because old school stuff is better than newer stuff?

Disagree. The vast majority of "old school" bands fucking suck today, and the newer bands that took up their craft tend to be better.

Isn't heathen pretty much the only old school thrash band to record something that's actually on par with their old stuff recently? Sure, others have made a killer track here and a catchy chorus there, but none has been consistently good... The underground is blooming atm here in Sweden at least though. Also, I'm probably forgetting loads of killer shit that will prove me wrong here, but nevermind

//fotmbm

JayKeeley said:
The new Sabbath songs with Dio....totally wicked

Agree

JayKeeley said:
WASPs latest release....very solid
Definetaly their best since "The Crimson Idol"

JayKeeley said:
Candlemass.....holy crap, just when I thought the vocals couldn't get better

Resistance holds

JayKeeley said:
Maiden's "Matter of Life and Death" is probably their most consistent since 7th Son

Don't know. I don't think it's better than "Brave New World"

JayKeeley said:
the only real negative factor I can think of right now is the latest Manowar album.

Right now, i just think it is a decent album. I can understand why some people will say that it sucks. Horrible sound.

Generally, old school metal bands do NOT produce the best old school metal right now, but they still do great things. I would add Celtic Frost to the above list but "Monotheist" does not come from your oldest school. The latest Vicious Rumors album with Rivera on vocals is another good example of what you say. Also this
Necuratul said:
and the newer bands that took up their craft tend to be better.
is severely wrong.

revisited the last Slayer disc a few days ago ... didn't work as well for me as it did the first few weeks. feel its a bit too punky.

agreed on the new Dio tracks and Maiden disc ... Wasp is solid as well.

now watch Metallica just totally kill this stretch with their latest abomination.

Also this

is severely wrong.

How so? I can think of a dozen Thrash bands that are vastly superior to anything that any "veteran" Thrash band (with the exception of Heathen) has put out in like a decade and a half. The same (with exceptions like Manilla Road and Brocas Helm and Attacker) can be said for Traditional Metal, Doom Metal, Death Metal, and definitely Black Metal. I'm not saying the material new bands are putting out now are superior to the work that the veterans originally put out. I'm speaking contemporaneously, and I think if you look hard enough you'll see that this is largely true, albeit highly ad hoc with exceptions.

Well the way you put it before is different from the "...has put out in a decade and a half. Even in this way, this is mainly due to the reason that many classic bands just haven't had any release out for a decade and a half. The vast majority of those who are still around, release outstanding records, and sometimes they just wipe out almost every "new" band on their genre.

Well I suppose it just comes down to taste. I can't think of many veterans outside of the bands that I've already mentioned that still release albums that I consider good enough to merit a purchase. This is especially the case in the more extreme genres.

I just love Lowe's work with Candlemass... And to think that his vocals were recorded (and lyrics rewritten) in around 4 days, god damn.

That said, still I wanna see em with Messiah :/

@Storm: It's his attitude. He reeks of "stardom", and his attempts at making their shows into rock shows are painful to watch. "Come on, clap your hands and have some FUN!" :erk:

I'm not necessarily saying that old school bands are releasing the best stuff ever omg, but it's exceptionally solid CONSIDERING it's still the old guys still putting this stuff out.

Death Angel's last release was good. Exodus have come back with a vengeance. Kreator....shit, "Violent Revolution" is probably one of the best thrash albums of all time IMO. I've read reports that Dio's "Master of the Moon" is his best since "Last in Line".

Or maybe I'm having a brain fart and can't think of anything that significant from a new band. :zombie:

Aside from Slough Feg's "Traveller", anyone care to list a few great recent "old school" albums released by new artists?

Death Angel's last release was good. Exodus have come back with a vengeance. Kreator....shit, "Violent Revolution" is probably one of the best thrash albums of all time IMO.

This part here just displays your ignorance (and possibly bad taste/low standards), sorry... Sure, all three mentioned bands have had hit songs on the "new era" albums, but none close to the old gold, and albumwise filler filler filler. And sometimes trying to be modern, and sucking no matter if they succeed or not.

Huh?

With the exception of Violent Revolution, I'm not saying they're all equivalent to the "old gold". I'm just saying that for the most part, old school metal bands have been releasing some really good old school metal quality material as of late. It's definitely noticeable.

Look at bands listed in the first post. Listen to the new Sabbath or WASP material. I'm not saying this is better than Heaven & Hell or Crimson Idol but it's their best work in a long, long time.