Old School Metal Shows

DuchessOfDork

Feb 9, 2009
So since the dudes from Raven rarely play these days, and the guys in ASoT and I don't get a chance to play out as often as we'd like, I was asked to put a show together leading up to Hoyt's fantastic Pathfinder MetalFest V: The Fall Headbanger's Ball in Atlanta.

I managed to round up the troops and get us a really small (let's call it a pre-game) show in Raleigh, NC, with locals Widow.

So if you're in the area to see the big show in Atlanta, why not stop by in Raleigh on the way? It's gonna be very "intimate" (meaning small!!) but the more people show up, the better.

Also, GO TO PATHFINDER METALFEST V. DO IT. OLD SCHOOL CLASSIC METAL AND JUNK. DO IT.

webV.jpg

raven_raleigh.jpg

Booking agent? D.I.Y. mofo!

Actually, no. It's considered a professional courtesy (to say a different term than "the goddamn right thing to do") to contact a band's booking agency PRIOR to contacting/negotiating with a band regarding shows.

It's a matter of respect and of doing things the right way.

Actually, no. It's considered a professional courtesy (to say a different term than "the goddamn right thing to do") to contact a band's booking agency PRIOR to contacting/negotiating with a band regarding shows.

It's a matter of respect and of doing things the right way.

Woah, actually I didn't book Widow. The venue did. They asked me if Widow could be on the show, too and I said yes because that was what the venue asked. Originally this was just gonna be us and Raven (who doesn't have an agent currently).

If Widow -- a band that, despite a small, small, small following across the country, is still essentially a 'local' band -- needs to have all shows set up by a 'booking agent', they should probably have that info posted on their facebook and website ;)

No problem!! I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes, here. I was just trying to do right by Raven and the venue.

If Widow -- a band that, despite a small, small, small following across the country, is still essentially a 'local' band -- needs to have all shows set up by a 'booking agent', they should probably have that info posted on their facebook and website ;)

They did until recently. I'm surprised to hear it's not on their website anymore... weird.

And what's with the quotes before booking agent? Are you trying to imply something or am I reading into it too much?

I obviously have no knowledge of this particular situation or anything, but just out of curiosity, how would one know? I mean, say myself or someone with no music industry experience suddenly got together some money they wanted to lose (heh, just kidding) and wanted to put on a concert and get a band to play. Unless I went to their website or something and it said "contact our booking agent at ________ to book the band", I would probably just try to contact the band. Then, I would imagine that if they didn't book their own shows, and had a booking agent for that, they would refer me to their booking agent. Unless the financial relationship is more along the lines of the agent getting paid for the shows he books, but the band can also book shows themselves. In that case, to an outsider that would seem like a bit of an odd arrangement, but I can understand where you're coming from. Still I imagine someone who isn't an experienced concert promoter (and I'm not saying Nina is not, since I have no knowledge of that either) might not know how this all works.

They did until recently. I'm surprised to hear it's not on their website anymore... weird.

And what's with the quotes before booking agent? Are you trying to imply something or am I reading into it too much?

Not a dig at you at all. Reading into it too much.
I do think the idea of a local band having a booking agent for local shows is ridiculous but that's another topic for another time...

Still I imagine someone who isn't an experienced concert promoter (and I'm not saying Nina is not, since I have no knowledge of that either) might not know how this all works.

Heheh, I've done it a few times, but I do not have knowledge of every single band in the world. Unfortunately, what happened is that I was simply asked by the venue if they could tack a local band on to the show I was bringing. Seeing as how the band isn't terrible, I said "sure"!

Anything that happened to make that happened is none of my business.. I'm just some city gal from far away.. ;)

I obviously have no knowledge of this particular situation or anything, but just out of curiosity, how would one know? I mean, say myself or someone with no music industry experience suddenly got together some money they wanted to lose (heh, just kidding) and wanted to put on a concert and get a band to play. Unless I went to their website or something and it said "contact our booking agent at ________ to book the band", I would probably just try to contact the band. Then, I would imagine that if they didn't book their own shows, and had a booking agent for that, they would refer me to their booking agent. Unless the financial relationship is more along the lines of the agent getting paid for the shows he books, but the band can also book shows themselves. In that case, to an outsider that would seem like a bit of an odd arrangement, but I can understand where you're coming from. Still I imagine someone who isn't an experienced concert promoter (and I'm not saying Nina is not, since I have no knowledge of that either) might not know how this all works.

You're absolutely right. In this case, Widow had our information on their website. If they booked the show themselves, which is ok in my book, an email letting us know what they're up to doesn't hurt. :)

However, when a third party books a band without approaching us first, then it's really irritating.

Not a dig at you at all. Reading into it too much.
I do think the idea of a local band having a booking agent for local shows is ridiculous but that's another topic for another time...

Yea, I explained it a bit better on my last post. As long as I'm being kept in the loop, it's all good if they do it on their own. :)

Now we can shift the focus back to who's going to be at the show! :)

Now we can shift the focus back to who's going to be at the show! :)

It's gonna be a great weekend! We've got a caravan coming from DC with several friends in the area who will be doing BOTH shows, so I'm probably gonna need all of Sunday to refresh my poor liver.. I've never been to Raleigh myself, so I'll ask the most important question here:

Where can we find the best BBQ? e_e

Was that irony? Widow is a lot better than "not terrible."

I like Widow. I was just joking. Sometimes, when you're on the road, you have to work with what you have. Sometimes, that leads to having to work with extreme metalcore bands from the South. Some basketball jerseys are worn, some beer guts are exposed, someone gets their leg broken in the mosh pit and everyone tries to convince themselves that there was a good time.

None of those things will happen with Widow, thank goodness.

With social media, MANY bands get contacted directly.
Heck, many guys from VERY big bands have personal FB pages.

Milton - I am not trying to dig at you here my friend. I don't know how long you have been in the game, but its different now than in the 90s, where yes, even for a local band, you HAD to get a written contract to book them if they had an agent.

That hasn't seemed to be the case in a long time, at least not from anything I have personally dealt with.

If WIDOW needs to clear that with YOU first, don't take it out on Nina or anyone else (IE - promoter, club owner, etc) who contacts them directly. It's easy as pie to do so these days, and quite frankly its very convenient. You can first find out directly from the source whether or not said band is even available.

With social media, MANY bands get contacted directly.
Heck, many guys from VERY big bands have personal FB pages.

Milton - I am not trying to dig at you here my friend. I don't know how long you have been in the game, but its different now than in the 90s, where yes, even for a local band, you HAD to get a written contract to book them if they had an agent.

That hasn't seemed to be the case in a long time, at least not from anything I have personally dealt with.

If WIDOW needs to clear that with YOU first, don't take it out on Nina or anyone else (IE - promoter, club owner, etc) who contacts them directly. It's easy as pie to do so these days, and quite frankly its very convenient. You can first find out directly from the source whether or not said band is even available.

Jason, you're absolutely right. :)

But as I said to Nina in previous posts, it was all a misunderstanding and everything is good. We've currently moved on towards "promoting the actual show". :)