Olympics '04

MagSec4 said:
He didn't win any medal, he got 5th place, which is outrageous. Hamm got a silver, but I don't think he should've won a medal at all.. it should've been Nemov (the Russian), the Italian, and the Japanese dude. And I'm sorry you missed it, but the Italian did indeed put a very nice performance too.
Yes, i know he didn't win anything, and i agree with you about Hamm. Nemov(i didn't remember the name) should have won the gold.

There was a large balls up in the swimming as well. In the final, the American who won the race was disqualified for an illegal turn. As far as I understand it, the judge who did the disqualification couldn't speak English, the official language of the international swimming authorities (I'm just going on what out commentators said now), and so couldn't explain clearly what actually went wrong, and so the disqualification was overturned and he got the gold medal after all. Subsequently the judge still maintains that he should have been disqualified.

MagSec4 said:
Oh man, you guys should hear how football games are narrated in Colombia. These people sound like automated narrating machines on crack. They narrate and describe every single thing that happens, never missing a moment, never missing anyone's identity; I remember this one particular guy talked so extremely fast, just listening to him was quite the entertainment for me.. They barely take time to breathe let alone to go off on any sort of tangent.
And whenever a team scored he'd scream out 'Goooo.....oool' sustaining the 'o' for half a minute or some crazy length like that, then take a breath and scream it again.
It's absolutely brilliant to watch for us non-Spanish-speakers though. I remember there was a Spanish league game on one night and me and a couple of friends watched it together, and agreed to take a big mouthful of beer every time we actually made one of the players' names out in all the babble, and drink a whole can every time there was a scream of "gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool". In principle I think it's a good game, but the game itself was a boring 0-0 draw and we ended up talking over quite a bit of the commentary as well, so we didn't actually drink all that much. :/

Hiljainen said:
some days ago there was one that thought to be offline, but he wasn't and we heard him on the background commenting in roman dialect, saying "culo" every other word while the other speaker was almost screaming to cover him :lol:
:lol: In England recently one commentator thought he was off air and proceeded to call one of the players a "fucking slow lazy my pals", or something similar. He resigned soon after, funnily enough. :p I was glad, he was one of the worst commentators around.

MagSec4 said:
I've never known of a more arrogant and annoying athlete than Maurice Greene, and I was very happy he didn't win yesterday.
Actually yesterday (the day before? damn) I thought that the American in the 4th lane, whose name I can't remember, was a lot more arrogant when he was introduced. I dislike Maurice Green a lot too, but I'd rather he won than that cocky upstart.

Incidentally, we have Michael Johnson (the American former 400m runner, world record holder) working for the BBC here, not actually a commentator but a pundit (talking about the events before and afterwards and giving insights etc). When he was racing I used to dislike him a lot as well and thought he was arrogant, but now he's by far and away the best pundit I've seen for any sport, incredibly informative (as opposed to the usual tendency to state the bloody obvious) and pleasant, and he's made watching athletics much better. And what a largely useless paragraph that was.

About yesterday's gymnastic's, I think the italian guy deserved the gold medal, and Nemov should have taken the silver (his program was excellent but his landing was indeed awful, and i think the italian's program might have been a bit more difficult). But Hamm did less and far easier things than *everybody*, he shouldn't have been in the medals at all...

As for Maurice Green, i recently heard on the news that a few days ago they were looking for him in the Olympic Village to have him go through dopping control, and they couldn't find him, they said he probably was in the american base in Crete..

I've noticed two things about myself during the Olympics:

1. I'm getting more and more interested in sports the older I get. This is a very alarming development and if anyone of you know how to stop it or even reverse it, please tell me post-haste.

2. I feel like a big failure when I watch, like yesterday, 16-year old girls compete in the apparatus(?) final. What had I acheived when I was 16? I had started my first year at upper secondary. Good work, boy. Anyone can do that. Anyone else feels like this?

"hey, you counted the points wrong"
- you can complain afterwards, please.

"hey, you counted the points wrong"
- you should have complained earlier. we gave out the medals already.

luckily some judges got fired :)

Child of Time said:
I've noticed two things about myself during the Olympics:

1. I'm getting more and more interested in sports the older I get. This is a very alarming development and if anyone of you know how to stop it or even reverse it, please tell me post-haste.
hehe it's the opposite for me and I HATE IT :'( when i was 13, i was a HUGE sports fan, now as a 19-year-old i'm still a fan, but not half as big as i used to be. sports rule, but for some reason they don't excite me as much as they used to anymore :(

2. I feel like a big failure when I watch, like yesterday, 16-year old girls compete in the apparatus(?) final. What had I acheived when I was 16? I had started my first year at upper secondary. Good work, boy. Anyone can do that. Anyone else feels like this?
i do.

I do too. They also make me think more about how much my body sucks, i mean in things like resistence, i'm on my knees after running 10 meters, and i'm only 18 (but i've always been like this more or less). Those athletes do some incredible efforts, and it's not all about experience and training.

@Ouagadougou: lol, true, they should set fire to these judges, not just fire them

i have to disagree with you magsec4, colombian narrators are the best because they're funny and hilarious, they play upbeat folk music in the background and joke about anything.

check this out. this happen in a pre game show of an America's Cup 2004 game:

guy 1: ... we are now in this beautifull city xxx awaiting for today's matchup.
guy 2: yes, in deed is a beautiful city, we have a good weather and beatiful mountains as background.
guy 1: and because of this altitud and low temperatures, 60% of child population, and including myself, suffers asthma.
guy 2: ... but at least they don't have stomach problems *looks/winks at guy 1*
*both comentator look at each other for a sec and laugh*

man, the entire audience found out that guy 1 had diahrrea that day, on live TV! priceless

I don't know man, I was talking about back when I lived there. I haven't seen a game narrated by a Colombian in many years. The games of the Copa America as shown here in the States are narrated by Mexicans and some guy from Argentina. Also, I was talking more from a memory of one man in particular.

About the swimming controversy, I think it's bullshit.. It's the guy's job to stand there at the end of the lane and look at the swimmers as they come by and turn. If English is the official language for swimming, then why put a judge there who doesn't speak English! And anyways, they did understand what the problem was, whatever language it was reported in ..somebody did, because the problem became clearly known very soon afterwards. And I saw the replay of that guy's turn and it was definitely a violation that gave him a tiny advantage.

Did anyone watch the end of the decathlon? It was a 1500m race, I believe; the Finnish guy literally threw himself on the ground immediately as he crossed the finish line ..it was hilarious :p

MagSec4 said:
About the swimming controversy, I think it's bullshit.. It's the guy's job to stand there at the end of the lane and look at the swimmers as they come by and turn. If English is the official language for swimming, then why put a judge there who doesn't speak English! And anyways, they did understand what the problem was, whatever language it was reported in ..somebody did, because the problem became clearly known very soon afterwards. And I saw the replay of that guy's turn and it was definitely a violation that gave him a tiny advantage.
Some people argued that since he won by 2 metres, or maybe it was 2 seconds, it didn't make a difference that he used the illegal kick since he'd have won anyway. :err: I think that's stupid; why have a rule if you're not going to enforce it? It annoys me the more I think about it (and not just because a Brit would have won the bronze if the American was disqualified :p).

So, the olympics are over... The climate here is quite depressing if you turn on the tv.. Everyone keeps missing the games and the tourists, and the general fuss. And the games too. This last one is something eveyone can feel, even those far from Athens, since there's nothing interesting to watch anymore, no news you want to learn, no commenting on the events.
There's many moments to remember from these Olympics. Some good, some bad. The highlight for me personally was watching the first olympic games (shot put) being held in the Ancient Olympia Stadium since the ancient times.

Hi,I did not read all the posts and I know I am writing very late but I am Greek I gave a large amount of euros to see many sports and I loved it,I was there when the
damn judges gave to the Paul Hamm that big enough points (before all a note for me I am from the Greeks who they cheers for all athletes besides their nationality)
the judges were not fair with Alexei Nemof that he done an excellent attempt besides all that Paul Hamm won the gold without hisattempt was gteater than Nemof also Iwoukd like to apologise about that happened at 200m final but I liked very much because the whole thing hapenned to support Kenteris and to piss off the media and the organisation not the athletes also my apologise goes only to the guy with the big smile Williams Thanks.