Omaha beach

krokit

Noisey B*****d
Dec 5, 2005
London
Hey guys I dont know if any of you are interested but I went to Normandy at the weekend and visited the invasion beaches including Omaha beach. I was like a child in a sweet shop! It kind of humbles you knowing what happened there on D-Day. I took some pictures which I could upload here if someone could tell me how to do it??

:kickass:

Wow, awesome pics...thanks for sharing! I'm a big war buff and am very proud of the contribution that my country and the allies made during the war, so thanks!

-Joe

Wow, awesome pics...thanks for sharing! I'm a big war buff and am very proud of the contribution that my country and the allies made during the war, so thanks!

-Joe

I´m not proud of the contribution that my country have made. This makes me sad. But I´m very proud of the Germans who fought against the Nazi regime! I can identify with ´em and so my German heart feels good.

I´m not proud of the contribution that my country have made. This makes me sad. But I´m very proud of the Germans who fought against the Nazi regime! I can identify with ´em and so my German heart feels good.

The new generations are not responsible for the mistakes of their parents. I really appreciated the germans that I've met in my life. Don't feel so sad. It's a very sad part of history but you should not feel more sad that any other person concerning that matter.

The new generations are not responsible for the mistakes of their parents. I really appreciated the germans that I've met in my life. Don't feel so sad. It's a very sad part of history but you should not feel more sad that any other person concerning that matter.

Well said! :kickass: The acts of the Nazis are in no way representative of the entire population Felix!

-Joe

Thank you very much for your kind words, bro :kickass: Feels good to read it!

I could talk thousands of hours about this theme. How could people be so cruel?! And why people did not learn from it?! (Srebrenica massacre 1995)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srebrenica_massacre

This makes me sick!

Thank you very much for your kind words, bro :kickass: Feels good to read it!

I could talk thousands of hours about this theme. How could people be so cruel?! And why people did not learn from it?! (Srebrenica massacre 1995)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srebrenica_massacre

This makes me sick!

+1, I love talking WWII.

Human beings can be cruel beasts Felix. I think some of it is almost impossible to explain. Usually it starts with an ideology perpetuated by a few and can spread like wildfire.

In Sreberenica, or the Balkans in general, I think it's a matter of ethnic tensions, religion, and national identity that have caused so much unrest in the former Yugoslavia. It seems like such a simple explanation for such horrible acts, but that is where it manifests in my eyes. The actual phsyical actions are almost impossible for me to wrap my head around.

-Joe

In Sreberenica, or the Balkans in general, I think it's a matter of ethnic tensions, religion, and national identity that have caused so much unrest in the former Yugoslavia. It seems like such a simple explanation for such horrible acts, but that is where it manifests in my eyes. The actual phsyical actions are almost impossible for me to wrap my head around.

-Joe

When you spend some time with people from the Balkans I think it becomes obvious very quickly, J. Quite honestly, we are a horrible, petty, squabbling people that need to be wiped off the planet as soon as possible. There are mindsets there that never change, and stubborness like you wouldn't believe. The one consolation is that no countries in that area have the manpower and resources to take their hatred to the rest of the world.

What happened back in '92 was like WW2 on a microcosmic scale. Like you say, it's amazing that people would not have learned but... it's a testament to the sort of people in power in that area of the world. There is a sort of corruption there that cannot be bred out, it has to be dismantled.

I think what's even worse is how the UN handled that entire situation. I was very young at the time, so I had no idea what was going on, but reading up now that I'm an adult.. I just can't believe the level of ineptitude and political horseshit was going on on their part. All beaurocratic crap about saving face. They virtually sat by and watched a genocide happen.

Anyway those pictures are amazing. It seems like such a tranquil place. I think I'd feel ill at ease just standing there, thinking about how many died on those shores, and perhaps what's still buried underneath the ground. Still, thank you for sharing!

Jesus christ Ermz :lol: And the Balkans = former Yugoslavia and vice versa, right? Or is one more inclusive than the other?

When you spend some time with people from the Balkans I think it becomes obvious very quickly, J. Quite honestly, we are a horrible, petty, squabbling people that need to be wiped off the planet as soon as possible. There are mindsets there that never change, and stubborness like you wouldn't believe. The one consolation is that no countries in that area have the manpower and resources to take their hatred to the rest of the world.

What happened back in '92 was like WW2 on a microcosmic scale. Like you say, it's amazing that people would not have learned but... it's a testament to the sort of people in power in that area of the world. There is a sort of corruption there that cannot be bred out, it has to be dismantled.

I think what's even worse is how the UN handled that entire situation. I was very young at the time, so I had no idea what was going on, but reading up now that I'm an adult.. I just can't believe the level of ineptitude and political horseshit was going on on their part. All beaurocratic crap about saving face. They virtually sat by and watched a genocide happen.

Anyway those pictures are amazing. It seems like such a tranquil place. I think I'd feel ill at ease just standing there, thinking about how many died on those shores, and perhaps what's still buried underneath the ground. Still, thank you for sharing!

Well, I believe that there are bad apples and decent people in any demographic. You seem like an intelligent, helpful, and cool dude to me...so they can't all be bad. But no, I understand your frustration.

I'm still trying to figure out the REAL purpose of the UN, and why they have so much damn power, because of events like this. In that time period, they either were consumed by beurocratic back and forth nonsense, or just straight up ignorance. I don't think they had a grasp on the full scale of just how much each group hated the other.

When I think of the Balkan wars, the Vukovar massacre comes to mind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vukovar_massacre

That and Arkan's Tigers. I think it says it all when you realize that a paramilitary force essentially has more power than the fucking military in a country.

I have a lot of Russian friends. My one best friend had a slogan that basically said: "If you lived in the former Soviet Union or Yugoslavia in the past 100 years or so, life was miserable." LOL. Not to make fun, but I guess it has some truth to it. He is from Moscow, but his family fled to the States right before the collapse of communism.

-Joe

Not the beach invasion on the ground, but the paratroopers:

"Band of Brothers" is a great series. I'd be shitting my pants the entire time.

-Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
When you spend some time with people from the Balkans I think it becomes obvious very quickly, J. Quite honestly, we are a horrible, petty, squabbling people that need to be wiped off the planet as soon as possible.

i've been thinking the same for a long time but then i realized
that it's just a "few" stupid people making the whole thing difficult down there IMHO, old embittered people and stupid little nationalist kiddies.

ok, the people down there are stupid and fucking alcoholics but there are also many good dides that i've never seen anywhere else in the world!:)

sorry for OT.

cheers
S.

PS: nice pictures btw!:)