Omaha beach

The general population of Germany has nothing to feel ashamed for. The genocide that was committed was done so by a very small percentage of the population, and members of the SS--for the most part. The average Heinz on the street had little or no knowledge of what was truly happening. The population thought it was a mass resettlement to the east territories--the SS even went so far as to send postcards from relatives that were incarcerated in concentration camps. And up until the break of the war the jews were being relocated to Palestine (until British warships starting turning away the freighters under the threat of force) and to what ever county would take them. It wasnt until half way through the war that the policy shifted from forced relocation to the government general of Poland to mass extermination. As far as the war is concerned, you have to keep in mind the political perspective of the times--the recent loss of WWI, the Versailles Treaty which stripped Germany of a great deal of land and the ability to have a proper armed forces. The utter failure of the Weimar Republic. The war (up until the invasion of Poland) had been more or less about reclaiming lost territory and respect

The general population of Germany has nothing to feel ashamed for. The genocide that was committed was done so by a very small percentage of the population, and members of the SS--for the most part. The average Heinz on the street had little or no knowledge of what was truly happening. The population thought it was a mass resettlement to the east territories--the SS even went so far as to send postcards from relatives that were incarcerated in concentration camps. And up until the break of the war the jews were being relocated to Palestine (until British warships starting turning away the freighters under the threat of force) and to what ever county would take them. It wasnt until half way through the war that the policy shifted from forced relocation to the government general of Poland to mass extermination. As far as the war is concerned, you have to keep in mind the political perspective of the times--the recent loss of WWI, the Versailles Treaty which stripped Germany of a great deal of land and the ability to have a proper armed forces. The utter failure of the Weimar Republic. The war (up until the invasion of Poland) had been more or less about reclaiming lost territory and respect

I think this fueled Hitler's feelings and eventually formed his ideals, but he also felt like an insignificant failure before he was into politics. His personal shortcomings definitely motivated him to seek power. It's the same story with Goebells. Both of them were short, scrawny little specs that would probably fall over in a swift breeze.

I can't blame the German population for supporting the Nazis initially. Their country and economy were in shambles. When Hitler came along, he must have seemed like the next messiah. He wanted to reclaim Germany's identity and create jobs/revive the economy.

At the same time, Hitler expresses his blatant dislike of the jews in "Mein Kampf", which was published in 1925! It also could not have been more obvious during the Kristillnacht.

I don't want to say that Germans were closet anti-semites. No, that isn't true. I think they were just willing to let some of it go unnoticed in the beginning, or were on cloud nine from the recent jolt in their quality of life. Anti-semites and non-racists alike both probably didn't expect the horror of the holocaust.

It's just a serious blemish on the face of humanity. Hell, the entire war was...for everybody. The average German solider (non SS), probably didn't know much about the camps during the war either. They were busy fighting for their country, like any enlisted solider would.

-Joe

I think this fueled Hitler's feelings and eventually formed his ideals, but he also felt like an insignificant failure before he was into politics. His personal shortcomings definitely motivated him to seek power. It's the same story with Goebells. Both of them were short, scrawny little specs that would probably fall over in a swift breeze.

I can't blame the German population for supporting the Nazis initially. Their country and economy were in shambles. When Hitler came along, he must have seemed like the next messiah. He wanted to reclaim Germany's identity and create jobs/revive the economy.

At the same time, Hitler expresses his blatant dislike of the jews in "Mein Kampf", which was published in 1925! It also could not have been more obvious during the Kristillnacht.

I don't want to say that Germans were closet anti-semites. No, that isn't true. I think they were just willing to let some of it go unnoticed in the beginning, or were on cloud nine from the recent jolt in their quality of life. Anti-semites and non-racists alike both probably didn't expect the horror of the holocaust.

It's just a serious blemish on the face of humanity. Hell, the entire war was...for everybody. The average German solider (non SS), probably didn't know much about the camps during the war either. They were busy fighting for their country, like any enlisted solider would.

-Joe

I absolutely agree with your written words, Joe. You know a lot. Respect for that :kickass: Your sources are of excellent quality, as well.

My grandfather fled from Russia to Germany 1945 by food and alone. He was in the Wehrmacht. Can´t wait to meet him next time..wanna ask him lots of questions before he dies.

I´m against racism and war!

I absolutely agree with your written words, Joe. You know a lot. Respect for that :kickass: Your sources are of excellent quality, as well.

My grandfather fled from Russia to Germany 1945 by food and alone. He was in the Wehrmacht. Can´t wait to meet him next time..wanna ask him lots of questions before he dies.

I´m against racism and war!

Hey Felix,

Thanks for the kind words man! I'm just a random American that enjoys learning about the war. :)

That's cool about your grandfather! My grandfather was a marine, but was not deployed to Europe. He served in California somewhere I believe as an air force tech or something I believe. I still have one of his old helmets and medic belts!

Felix, have you seen "Band of Brothers?" It was on HBO here in the states, but I think you would really enjoy it. I love it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_of_Brothers_(TV_miniseries)

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Band-Brothers-Damien-Lewis/dp/B00006CXSS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1245969229&sr=8-1[/ame]

Great series and totally worth the money! I never get bored of it.

-Joe

Hey Felix,

Thanks for the kind words man! I'm just a random American that enjoys learning about the war. :)

That's cool about your grandfather! My grandfather was a marine, but was not deployed to Europe. He served in California somewhere I believe as an air force tech or something I believe. I still have one of his old helmets and medic belts!

Felix, have you seen "Band of Brothers?" It was on HBO here in the states, but I think you would really enjoy it. I love it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_of_Brothers_(TV_miniseries)

http://www.amazon.com/Band-Brothers...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1245969229&sr=8-1

Great series and totally worth the money! I never get bored of it.

-Joe

Haha yeah, that´s pretty interesting! We should use the time as long the
witnesses of WW2 are alive. There will be a time, where no one of em is still alive.

I have a spoon with a swastika on it...:lol:

I know Band of Brothers and it´s really good. A friend of mine is a great fan! The Blu Ray box costs a fucking lot, but there are 800 minutes material. Maybe I grab the box in the states. $54.49 sounds okay for me :)

Haha yeah, that´s pretty interesting! We should use the time as long the
witnesses of WW2 are alive. There will be a time, where no one of em is still alive.

I have a spoon with a swastika on it...:lol:

I know Band of Brothers and it´s really good. A friend of mine is a great fan! The Blu Ray box costs a fucking lot, but there are 800 minutes material. Maybe I grab the box in the states. $54.49 sounds okay for me :)

Yeah dude, might as well! It's a great show in my opinion. Unfortunately my grandfather passed away when I was only a kid, but I still have his war time swag to remember him by!

-Joe

Yeah dude, might as well! It's a great show in my opinion. Unfortunately my grandfather passed away when I was only a kid, but I still have his war time swag to remember him by!

-Joe

This is sad, Joe. My Grandfather is 82 years old...a matter of time, I fear :cry: Have to meet him!

Btw there exists an Act of Rage song about this whole Ohama situation (inspired by movies like "saving privat ryan"). The song is called "The Beast of the Coast". It´s about the thoughts of war veterans, what they think about it today and the massive regret feelings that lot of them still have.

This song is an an older one and I was not that into recording like today :) I also think, there are some grammatic crimes...anyway. Here we go:

The Beast of the Coast

The first part of the song is in the time of WW2...after the GONG it´s about today. I hope you find 9 minutes time for it..btw my sister played the violine :)

What do you think about it?