On April 5th, 1803; the greatest concert ever was performed in Vienna.

Prismatic Sphere

We Carouse
Jul 18, 2002
In A Bowl Of Chili
www.lp.org
Exactly 200 years to the day, Ludwig Van Beethoven conducted his longest and most ambitious concert. Not only did he conduct but he also performed as the soloist in his piano concerto in c minor. The concert was one of his(one among too few) huge successes. The following works were all performed to an unexposed public:

Symphony No. 1 in C Major- probably my favorite symphony after the minor keyed ones. Simply breathtaking, especially the first movement.
He already revolutionized(and perfected) the symphony with The First.

Symphony No. 2 in D Major- Light years ahead in terms of complexity and intricacy(though nothing like his Third, the "Eroica"), The Second is very moving and brooding, with a heaviness unlike any symphony composed before it.

Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Minor- The greatest piano concerto ever written. This is the ultimate expression in musical extroversion. Beethoven in fact partially improvised the cadenzas as his pages weren't all arranged properly. This is pure Beethoven. The coda to the first movement is the most unforgetable and intense moment in music I've ever heard in my life.

The Grand Oratorio: Christ On The Mount Of Olives- The greatest piece of music ever written. Beethoven's only oratorio, he wrote it right after his famous Heilligenschtatt Testament where he reflected on his inevitable growing deafness with thoughts of suicide, but "only his art held him back". This piece is the most colorful and emotional piece of music that I've ever heard with moments of pure darkness and sublime joy.

If I could go back in time to any one concert, I'd choose this one in a quarter of a heartbeat. Someone please build a time machine soon.

Prismatic Sphere said:
Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Minor- The greatest piano concerto ever written. This is the ultimate expression in musical extroversion. Beethoven in fact partially improvised the cadenzas as his pages weren't all arranged properly. This is pure Beethoven. The coda to the first movement is the most unforgetable and intense moment in music I've ever heard in my life.

The Grand Oratorio: Christ On The Mount Of Olives- The greatest piece of music ever written.

I have my doubts about what you wrote, I know Beethovens music very well, and i dont share your opinion.
Piano Concerto No 3 is great,the last movement is just amazing, but i dont think that this concerto is the greatest in piano history. In MY OPINION Even No. 4 in G and No. 5 in Eb are better, but I WOULD NOT dare to say about the greatest piano concerto becouse you have to take into an account differents composers such as Chopin, Schumann, Mendelssohn etc. Remember is a matter of tastes.

Chirs On The Mount Of Olives. The greatest piece of music ever written?????
confused.gif
. I believe Beethoven did compose better works For Example: Symphony 6 "Pastoral", Symphony 7, Symphony 9. It is not necessary that Orquestal music be considered the best of Beethoven. I like much his chamber music, specially the piano sonatas, the violin sonatas and the strings quartet.