the past few years. If you look at the history page on the website,
you'll see, from the very first fest graphic, that the tag line was
"An Evening of Powerful Metal" and then "A Weekend of Powerful Metal."

The intent of the fest from the very beginning was to showcase all
different types of metal bands, not just one particular style! It is a bit
frustrating to constantly hear people pigeon-holing the fest as a
"power metal" only fest and questioning why a certain band would be
added to the bill or why certain bands would be left off of the bill because
we never set any limitations on the festival from the very beginning.

The bottom line is to provide the best possible package of metal bands that
we feel will provide the best possible show at that particular time!

Hopefully, this clears up any further confusion. :)

OK, so that clears up the "Power" part, but what about "Fest"? Usually "Fest" denotes festival, and that brings to mind tents, carousels, and cotton candy. And there is a noted shortage of these things at CPF. I don't want to be a whiner, but I only like festivals that sell elephant ears, bratwursts and cotton candy, like our annual Popcorn Fest in Valparaiso. Explain?

Ken

OK, so that clears up the "Power" part, but what about "Fest"? Usually "Fest" denotes festival, and that brings to mind tents, carousels, and cotton candy. And there is a noted shortage of these things at CPF. I don't want to be a whiner, but I only like festivals that sell elephant ears, bratwursts and cotton candy, like our annual Popcorn Fest in Valparaiso. Explain?

Ken

LOL!! Smartass!! :p

Ken

Well shit, I never thought of that...

Now I will be expecting funnel cakes, dammit!

maybe we'll just change the name to "Power Carnival" :)

in any case, don't be surprised if we have hot babes pelting
you fucks with elephant ears and funnel cakes when you
walk in the door! :lol:

there really isnt anything different than anyother show...just more bands, this time there is vendors so that is somewhat different.

Are you trying to talk him out of it? :err:

The differences are that it's a weekend (most don't have to worry about going to work the next day)...it's a lineup that most likely will NEVER be on tour together...and it's probably the biggest metal party of the year in the Chicago area during & most definitely after each night's show...for those who like to party & who stick around for the hotel afterparties...where most of the band members hang out too.

Those are HUGE differences! :kickass:

Are you trying to talk him out of it? :err:

The differences are that it's a weekend (most don't have to worry about going to work the next day)...it's a lineup that most likely will NEVER be on tour together...and it's probably the biggest metal party of the year in the Chicago area during & most definitely after each night's show...for those who like to party & who stick around for the hotel afterparties...where most of the band members hang out too.

Those are HUGE differences! :kickass:
not trying to talk him out of it...not booking Elvenking will do that on it's own.

There wasnt much last year that made it different from a normal show...same people who go to shows in the area were there....we had plenty of local bands playing....only differnce was it was two days and had some bands from across the globe playing.

with vendors and more at this years it will have a different feel..hopefully. THe MEtro had vendors at that all day metal/hardcore showcase thing a while back and that was a total waste asides for Leave's Eyes and Macabre and Kataklysm. I dont get excited about meeting bands, met so many my whole life that it is usually a let down meeting them and if they are jerks or uncool it will effect my take on the band.

it is worth it to go...if there are good bands booked (hint, hint , hint)

There wasnt much last year that made it different from a normal show...

We must go to different "normal shows". :)

same people who go to shows in the area were there....

Plus a lot of people who travelled a very long way to attend. Filling a hotel. Partying in the hotel after the show. Sightseeing and eating meals together between shows.

we had plenty of local bands playing....only differnce was it was two days and had some bands from across the globe playing.

Even if you take Mirror Black as "local", that's only 4 of 10.

Local: Ion Vein, Twelfth Gate, Withering Soul, Mirror Black.
Non-local US bands from Minnesota and California.
International acts from England, Italy, Sweden, Sweden.

The show was predominantly non-local.

it is worth it to go...if there are good bands booked (hint, hint , hint)

Agreed! BTW, I played Elvenking on my radio show this week. Moonchariot, from Wyrd. Great tune.

Ken, wishing we had the "beating a dead horse" smiley here!

We must go to different "normal shows". :)

Plus a lot of people who travelled a very long way to attend. Filling a hotel. Partying in the hotel after the show. Sightseeing and eating meals together between shows.

Even if you take Mirror Black as "local", that's only 4 of 10.

Local: Ion Vein, Twelfth Gate, Withering Soul, Mirror Black.
Non-local US bands from Minnesota and California.
International acts from England, Italy, Sweden, Sweden.

The show was predominantly non-local.

Agreed! BTW, I played Elvenking on my radio show this week. Moonchariot, from Wyrd. Great tune.

Ken, wishing we had the "beating a dead horse" smiley here!

Based on what was offered last year at Powerfest...there was nothing asides what a normal show offers. Sorry. People say it is a great because yu canparty all night....you can party all night at any show. Sure people fly in for the show, which is cool. So you get to see people you only see maybe a few times per year. But the show itself is just a normal show. I was happy as hell last year to see Nocturnal RItes, but to me it was just a normal show.
Like I stated earlier....this year with vendors and such it will add a different vibe at least. I dont want to seem like I am coming down on Powerfest..I am not. Nothing during the show last year made it any different from a normal show. It was a decent time but nothing groundbreaking. sorry.

I am hoping for one ot two bands I like this year to play so I can go. So far this year is looking good for shows...Sonata Arctica, Angra, Within Temptation....plus who else knows...I am hoping to add Powerfest to that list.

Based on what was offered last year at Powerfest...there was nothing asides what a normal show offers. Sorry. People say it is a great because yu canparty all night....you can party all night at any show. Sure people fly in for the show, which is cool. So you get to see people you only see maybe a few times per year. But the show itself is just a normal show. I was happy as hell last year to see Nocturnal RItes, but to me it was just a normal show.
Like I stated earlier....this year with vendors and such it will add a different vibe at least. I dont want to seem like I am coming down on Powerfest..I am not. Nothing during the show last year made it any different from a normal show. It was a decent time but nothing groundbreaking. sorry.

I am hoping for one ot two bands I like this year to play so I can go. So far this year is looking good for shows...Sonata Arctica, Angra, Within Temptation....plus who else knows...I am hoping to add Powerfest to that list.

WITHIN TEMPTATION?!?!?!?! WHERE DID YOU HEAR THIS?

They just signed to Roadrunner and they said that part of the deal is a full on headlining US tour....finally. I bet this summer when the new disc is out.

Ummmm... Signing to Roadrunner probably means a low slot this summer on either Sounds of the Underground or Ozzfest, realistically.