One more Maiden thread

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
This is true. There's not much of the Iron Maiden "sing-along" choruses. I prefer it that way, though. The sing-along songs I tend to get bored with much sooner than the lengthy, proggy, epics.
Amen to that :kickass:
"Run to the Hills" bores the hell out of me now (I used to love it), while "Hallowed be thy name" still has its timeless flavour.

I think I have to get AMOLAD as soon as possible then...

Fangface said:
"Run to the Hills" bores the hell out of me now (I used to love it), while "Hallowed be thy name" still has its timeless flavour.
EXACTLY! In fact, Number of the Beast seldom gets played in my hallowed halls because of the number of sing-along songs....which I once worshiped but 2000 listens later have grown bored. The epics still live on.

:lol: Yup, I was talking about you, Sickboy! You and Wyvern to be exact!

Maybe Sickboy and I are the only intelligent around :Smug: .

NP: Hammerfall - 'Reign Of The Hammer'

Fangface said:
Amen to that :kickass:

I think I have to get AMOLAD as soon as possible then...

i like it.

haha now the wicker man has its timeless flavor.....

I got my copy yesterday & love it already! I've not maid;) it through the whole album completely yet and I've replayed the first few songs a couple of times while I'm also in the middle of watching the making of DVD - and thats great too.

Like many die-hard 80's Maiden fans, I had forsaken Maiden after NPFTD & FoTD (such wishy washy albums that lead to an even worse Blaze era) my first come back was BNW and I'm yet to hear DOD. BNW was a good comeback but it took me a longtime getting used to the mellower Maiden, I'm talking a few years to come to grips with it! The band matured and they've done it in style. No other band in history could (or has IMO) ever produce an album late in their career replicating the spirit of their hey-day -the guys have changed, their motivations change, their interests change. What hasnt changed though is the spirit & the essence of Maiden, you can still hear it, the style is present but mature.

My advice to anyone who wants to hear the 80's Maiden is to accept the above facts and either stick with what you got already but if you really want to hear a new Maiden that is as close to their original albums - in the fact that they are alive and kicking and offering an album that really has no fillers - pick up a copy of A Matter of LIfe and Death. It retains much which we love about the Maiden sound and the song writing is fluent, nothing sounds forced.

My main complaint (I'm being objective) is they break into more melodic choruses ie Different World but I'll accept that as a sign of age, its still a damn good song! Its doubtful Maiden will get any better than this so give up on hoping for another Killers, No. of the Beast or whatever is your poison its never gonna happen, this is their 14th studio album for christsakes, you have to understand it dosent get much better at this time of the day.

/end rant.

Wyvern said:
Maybe Sickboy and I are the only intelligent around :Smug:
I doubt that! Maybe you guys should see a doctor about getting the wax outta your ears. Something's interfering with your ear-to-brain waves. :p

Seriously, I listened to the new Pharoah and the new Maiden back-to-back tonight, and there is no comparison for me. Pharoah is good, but I think of them as about Number of the Beast in terms of their career maturity (comparing to Maiden, obviously). Just starting to get really good and their BEST albums are ahead of them.

The new Maiden whips Pharoah into submission, just on the songwriting alone. I'm a little baffled that you can't hear that, considering my respect for your musical tastes.

I've decided, after many listens, that this album is best described thusly:

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son + Brave New World + a smattering of Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding + a hint of a few things they've never previously done before (riffs/chord structures/etc.)

That about covers it.....

I doubt that! Maybe you guys should see a doctor about getting the wax outta your ears. Something's interfering with your ear-to-brain waves. :p

Okay TSO, once and for all lemme put it this way... :)
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner consists (other than narrated part) of maybe 2 or 3 sections (very little when you take songs duration of approx. 14mins in account) which are relatively repetitive and very simple... Still, it is IMO THE Iron Maiden song, the best they've done and the best they'll ever do...
The atmosphere, the lyrics, the music are unreal. :worship:

Newer songs are often very long and repetitive, but I can't stand them past the first chorus more often than not... ;)

Something's interfering with your ear-to-brain waves. :p

I sense the same with the brain-to-keyboard of some in the forum lately. Being a geek fan is alright, being a blind geek fan is not ;)

Seriously, I listened to the new Pharoah and the new Maiden back-to-back tonight, and there is no comparison for me.

Agree Pharaoh is good! Maiden is not. Pharaoh which is a very Maiden influenced band did what the Irons couldn't since 1988...make a good metal album.

Maiden may have incredible sophisticated melodically intrisec develop musical structures in their newer songs and they bored me like hell. They have nor the abbility to do some good prog and I don't want them to do prog! If I want prog I go for Focus or Dream Theater, I want Maiden to play metal, short and furious like 'Drifter' or long and epic like 'Rime Of The Ancient Mariner' but metal.

I guess this is the ned of the line for me regarding the subject is too comsuming.

Peace :wave:

SickBoy said:
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner consists (other than narrated part) of maybe 2 or 3 sections (very little when you take songs duration of approx. 14mins in account) which are relatively repetitive and very simple... Still, it is IMO THE Iron Maiden song, the best they've done and the best they'll ever do...
The atmosphere, the lyrics, the music are unreal. :worship:
Well, at least we agree that Rime of the Ancient Mariner is the definitive Maiden song. :headbang:

Wyvern said:
I guess this is the ned of the line for me regarding the subject is too comsuming.
Okay, okay, I'll quit bugging you about it. Probably. Maybe. Oh hell, probably not at all. You're still gonna get some razzing about hating it so much. But at least ya got Sickboy backing you up, so maybe you guys have a fighting chance against all us blind Maiden worshipers. :D

Good reviews, bad reviews, and reviews in between. Regardless, I shall be purchasing when I have the chance. Now can anyone answer a most important question for me....... Will Maiden be touring in Australia? Can anyone provide some (hopefully) good news?

Wyv... you know I am taking care of you come ProgPower :heh:

It will be one down and one to go (cough sickboy cough)

:saint:

SickBoy said:
Nah, don't take this like a fight TSO...
It's more like expressing a totally opposite opinion and being in minority. :)
Well, with you being firmly in the minority, I'm not surprised you'd rather not call this a fight! I'd do the same if I were in your shoes. :D

I'm a fair man, though. And I respect your opinions, even if I don't understand them in this instance. Why don't we meet halfway and just call it a debate. Or better yet, at this stage of the game, it might be more accurately called "BEATING A DEAD HORSE". :lol:

Pabla said:
Wyv... you know I am taking care of you come ProgPower :heh:

I hope so darling, I will not travel so many kilometrs just to see Bryant's hairy ass :lol:

Oh man this album is leaps and bounds better than DoD for me anyway. While there were several songs I really liked on Dod, each song on here is good, some really good or excellent. Not a bad song on here.

Great album. I think this album needs your full attention and isn't perhaps the type of album you'll want to play on your short drive to work. It's one of those albums you take for long drives with or go to bed an hour early for.

Something very few people have mentioned is this album has probably some of Maiden's best guitar work ever.

Just got to my PO box today, since Wednesday of last week, sure enough, my pre-order was there waiting. Will be checking this out soon as I get off of work. I like what I've heard of this, and while I'm more of a fan of their earlier stuff, this one's sounding pretty good to these ears, so far....

Add one to "Likes It" column!

J-Dubya