open guitar tunings being used for next album

StationaryTraveller

"Credence in my word"
Feb 26, 2004
www.16stitches.com
Mikael has been giving bits info on each interview lately about their next ablum. So far he's only worked on writting 1 song so far, 5 min. of it at least. Also the next release will be his first time using "open-tuning" on the guitars.

StationaryTraveller said:
Care to explain what open tuning is? is it like dropping down the lowest string a whole step or something?

Open tuning basically means that you tune each string so that when you strum all of the strings together without fretting it sounds a chord.

Popular open tunings are Open D and Open G. You can have open anything though.

Example: Open D

d (high)
A
F#
D
A
D (low)

Open G:
d or g (high)
B
G
D
G
D (low)

Of course you can have all kinds of variations even in those keys, such as in Open G people often tune the high D all the way up to a G (be careful, you can easily break a string doing that).

i hope you weren't serious there lepper affinity.....dropping the low string down one step would be a dropped tuning....opeth uses that tuning on a few songs (demon of the fall and blackwater park).....open tuning would be setting the open position of every string to form a chord when played...open.....its pretty cool....but like learning an entire new instrument.....depends on what tuning your in....there are endless possibilities.

open tuning is a bunch of fifths like open C is

C G C G C E

STrapping young lad uses open tuning.

here's a couple others
Open-D D A D F#A D
Open-E E B E G#B E
Open-G D G D G B D
Open-A E A E A C#E

note:...for 7 string guitars

Oh damn you people that associate open tunings with NU-metal (think country or folk music)... It´s not like drop D as has been explained above. This is very interesting, finally Mikael is starting experimenting with diffrent tunings, I´m getting excited about this new album !

Just because he says he is using open tuning doesn't mean he is going to use it for every song guys...He could easily use it for an acoustic song or an acoustic instrumental and the rest would still be E

the_drip said:
open tuning is a bunch of fifths like open C is

C G C G C E

STrapping young lad uses open tuning.

here's a couple others
Open-D D A D F#A D
Open-E E B E G#B E
Open-G D G D G B D
Open-A E A E A C#E

note:...for 7 string guitars

does that mean they'll be sounding anything like the guitar sound SYL creates?...sorry for my ignorance in this matter but i kno nothing about guitar tunign and such...i just listen to the music and if i like it then its good to me...lol

if anyone could just tell me some other bands that do this i'd appreciate it

btw the new hypocrisy fuckin kicks ass :headbang:

Does anyone else agree with me that experimenting like this sounds like a fucking good idea? I'm looking forward to another unique and different sounding Opeth album, as so far, even the ones everyone says are so similar (Orchid-Morningrise and SL-BWP-D1) sound very different to me, each having it's own special atmosphere and musical differences.

Nuts to hoping it turns out as Mike has said it will. Let's just hope it turns out the BEST the band can make it!

yeah...they're all different..but they all still sound like the same band.

which is a good thing IMO.

I want to see Opeth do this Black Metal Concept album, that Mikael mentions he's dreaming up on teh lamentations DVD.

Isahnn can come do some guest vocals! :worship: :worship:

Mickeal as always been exploring the various unexplored capacities of the guitar. I don't remind of any metal band using open tuning, and I think it is a really good idea. This band have always been about being different from the straight forward death metal band, and taking the originality a step further is just going to ad to the uniqueness (is this a word?) of this great band.