Open Tuning

A simple search on google gives this:

An open tuning is simply one that gives the sound of a chord, either major or minor, when the guitar is strummed without being fretted. The tuning is often named by this chord.

standard tuning for guitars is EADGBE.

this does not form any particular chord if you play it as it is. (it's E11)
however, if you change the tuning to chord tones (such as DADFAD) these notes form a chord (DFA) D minor. this way, playing the strings "open" (not touching them with the left hand) is a chord by itself. this is an "open" chord, as are any chords involving at least 1 string played in this way. bands do this to make playing certain chord progressions easier, or to get unusual chord voicings.

basicly what we have is standard tuning
note string#
e - (1)
b - (2)
g - (3)
d - (4)
a - (5)
E - (6)

and basicly we get this tunning by making sure the top string is tuned to standard E and then match the 5th fret of the 6th string to open note of the 5th string and change continue this pattern till we hit the 3rd string. We then match the 4 th fret with the open note of the second string.

However for the whole of ghost reveries - opeth actually change the entire tunnings for their guitars to open D min (and they have a variation of this for harelquin forest.)

openDmin ( DADFAD)

d-
a-
f-
d-
a-
D-

for most of the tracks they use openDmin this is acheived by
1)starting with having ure guitar in standard tunning
2) Get the 6th string to D (tunning down)
i)you can either match the 7 fret of the 6th string to the open note of the
5th string
ii) match the open note of the 6th string with the 4th string

3)Now the next two strings are taken care of. You should note that these strings are similar to the drop D tunning and now you can play power chords with one finger.
4)now we have to take the 3rd string, which is in G and take it down to F. I usually match this string open with the first fret of the first string, which is also an F.
5)Now match the second string with the fifth string - you will be tunning down
6) Now the first string should be match with either the 6th or 4th string open.

You now have open dmin - the open tunning, as explained above, just means that the guitar will sound a dmin chord when nothing is held down.

now for harlequin forest - you will have to ignore step 6 and keep the E. I think this tunning sounds better but things like coming up with licks and small leads are alot tougher now. I love the sound - this open tunning should be called open Dmin9

NB
- Yes i am guitar illeterate but my friends who obsess about opeth told me all this in 2 mins just before teaching me ghost of perdition and harlequin forest.

[Benighted Joe]I just want to add that open tuning is very common when playing with a slide.

True...

But on which song(s) does Mike/Peter play slide guitar?

(Not the lines in the beginning of Drapery, anyhow - that's just finger gliss.)

considering how long the six-string guitar (early 1800's?) has been around, it's safe to say open tunings pre-date the 'stones by a longshot. the 'stones were heavily influenced by the original blues players, who often used open tunings for bottleneck slide playing.

RiffBoy said:
[Benighted Joe]I just want to add that open tuning is very common when playing with a slide.

---

But on which song(s) does Mike/Peter play slide guitar?

(Not the lines in the beginning of Drapery, anyhow - that's just finger gliss.)

Eh. I didn't say they played with a slide! Just added that for the guy who asked to know.

And btw, Drapery Falls and many other of the songs in Still Life and BWP are played with an E-bow, thank you very much.

Benighted Joe said:
Eh. I didn't say they played with a slide!

I know. And I didn't say you did! You got me wrong.
:)

So I'll rephrase the question:

Does Mike or Peter play with a slide on any songs (on any album)?

I'm curious because I love steel and slide guitar playing (in rock music)...

If I remember correctly the lead Peter plays above the acoustic verses in Drapery Falls WERE in fact played with a slide...

:Wreath: said:
If I remember correctly the lead Peter plays above the acoustic verses in Drapery Falls WERE in fact played with a slide...

Would that have been live or on the album?