favorite tuning

Braighs

twelve strings of darknes
Oct 15, 2005
on a violin sad
I'm new to guitar. I play piano.

I want to know what tuning you people like to use when creating music.
Don't be afraid to say standard. You won't look less intelligent for not coming up with some crazy tuning.

Lately I have been messing around in...

D
A
G
D
A
D (low)

...simple tuning for a simple person. :)

And what tuning does Opeth use?

I use standard tuning because it is the one I am most familiar with and I don't like having to re-tune my guitar all the time. Plus, I don't understand all the fuss about downtuning. Super low tuning doesn't sound any heavier than regular tuning IMO. The contrast between the notes you choose is what determines heaviness.

I enjoy:

EADGBE (Standard)

DGCFAD (D Standard)

DADGBE (Drop D)

And for my bass:

BEADGC

For an 8 string guitar:

F#BEADGBE

And other crap:

EADGCF (Fourths tuning)

GDCBDA (Some new weird tuning)

The tuning you have is "frequently used in Celtic music, and by artists such as Pierre Bensusan" according to Wikipedia.

I'm a big fan of standard, or Eb standard. For some reason, Eb with heavier strings just feels and sounds so much more rock'n'roll to me.

Tom
(Oh, hi, first post... how y'all doing?)

Tubbs Mcgee said:
The tuning you have is "frequently used in Celtic music, and by artists such as Pierre Bensusan" according to Wikipedia.

Cool! I often come up with celtic sounding stuff anyway. I was thinking of a tuning that would fit it better and I came up with that. :Spin:

thelordofcheesecake said:
I'm a big fan of standard, or Eb standard. For some reason, Eb with heavier strings just feels and sounds so much more rock'n'roll to me.

Tom
(Oh, hi, first post... how y'all doing?)

I'm honored to host your first post on my humble thread. :D
I am thinking of using Eb standard from now on because I keep breaking strings. :erk:

I don't have a guitar..yet (my dad found his baritone so he's bringing it home tonight, 30 years old.)

My fretted 4-string bass is always in standard, but my fretless changes tunings many-a-time...

ADGCF
AEADG
AEADF#
BDGCF
BEADG
BDADG
BCGCG
DGCFBb
EADGB
EADGC

I think those are the tunings I've used on my fretless since I got it in November. I don't tune it tenor (EADGC etc) anymore cos it's bad for your neck with heavy gauge strings, and since I don't have a 6 string yet, I switched between low B 5str and tenor. When I broke a string and got new ones, I decided to keep the low B and not tune tenor.

a rofl nazi said:
^ wow thats... rediculous

absolutely pointless having so many different tunings on a bass in my opinion

Because playing in a wide variety of tunings on guitars serves more purpose, right? Most of them are just experimental tunings, my bass usually is in BEADG or AEADG