Opeth and Lovecraft

Demonspell

cheating the polygraph
Apr 29, 2001
dead between the walls
www.ultimatemetal.com
I was just thinking that if Mikael did a song or even an entire album based on the Lovecraft's bloodcurdling tales of horror and the macabre (OK, so I just copied the title of one of the anthologies), it would be beyond description. I realize that Mikael is one of the best at creating his own poetic and evocative lyrics, but if any one band could capture the crawling chaos of the Lovecraftian mythos in music, it would be Opeth...

Opeth in all honour... I like them too, but I don't think anything other than a neurosis (at least) can capture the essense of Lovecraft.
It would be more than a challenge. Anything that could capture Lovecraft's mind would be able to render listerners insane.

I love all of H.P. Lovercraft's work, and in theory it would seem pretty cool to mix Lovrcraft with Opeth, but I don't think it would really work. First of all, making connections to Lovercraft has become somewhat cliche in metal. Opeth are better than that and they have no problem coming up with their own concepts anyway. Second, I agree with Tenebrose. Many people have tried to translate Lovecraft to flims, music, even videogames, and no one has even come close to capturing the true essence of Lovecraft. His writing style has lots of depth, the atmosphere just draws you in and you forget that your reading a book and feel like you're really there. I don't think anyone could really copy that. It would be like some author writing MAYH as a short story, it just wouldn't be the same, it wouldn't create the same images in your mind that Opeth does.

Opeth already has a lovecraftish sound :)

I once (maybe 2-3 years ago) wrote a song I call Cthulhu Fhtagn.
That was before I heard Opeth for the first time.... the odd thing
is that this song sounds quite a bit like Opeth material (same odd
scales and stuff). So..that means.....lemme see.... Opeth sounds
like what I imagine lovecrafty music to sound like (that didn't make too muh sense,huh?)

Slightly off topic: I wrote an essay covering 15 pages on "The Patterns in Lovecraft's Literature" for school a while ago :)