Opeth around the campfire.

Razza

New Metal Member
May 6, 2008
Hey it's my first post here.

I picked up the guitar about 7 months ago just to learn Opeth. I fell in love with the band and ever since I've been progressing like crazy just off Opeth tabs and personal experimentation.

Every year I spend a week with my fam on a lake in Canada, at a cottage resort. We rent the same cabin the same week of each year, and we see the same people; been going ever since I was in diapers.

A ritual we have is nightly campfires, where everyone gets together and kick it, drink beer, and play music. All those fuckers play classic rock hits (boring) and I wanna bring Opeth to the experience. I wanna show them what real music sounds like. :headbang:

Which acoustic songs/passages would you learn before going, if you were in my shoes? I got about a week to practice. Leavin' August 8th.

PS- My only guitar is a Omen-6, I've been learning heavy riffs rather than the softer side of Opeth, but I'm contemplating buying an acoustic before going.

Hmmmmmmm. The acoustic's in Reverie/Harlequin forest are really fun to play. But IMO it's up to you, if the song impresses you and you want to learn it, then go for it!

And welcome to the forum!

Anything from Orchid or Morningrise, the acoustics in these two albums are just amazing to me, especially To Bid You Farewell and the acoustic part near the end of Nectar.

The acoustic bit at the end of advent, or the acoustic bit in black Rose Immortal that starts at 9:45.

EPIC

if you can sing to it: closure
if you can't: pattens in the ivy (which is a pretty damn well-written instrumental iyam)

I recommend Harvest, Face of Melinda - you get the best of worlds with that song.. I mean when it gets heavy its totally amazing as well as the awesome acoustic part of the song.. And the Leper Affinity is such an amazing song that it could be good played on anything :)
(within reason... not a bloody lute.. hey that might work actually?)

I think if there is just you to play Opeth than you should chose the songs that are good with one guitar

- Face of Melinda, Benighted, Harvest, Patterns in the Ivy, Credence
- a few Damnation tracks (In my time of Need, To rid the Disease...)
- there are also heavier songs: Master's apprentices, When, they are also cool with acoustic guitar!
- maybe Bleak, The Drapery Falls, Ghost of Perdition (but you need to tune the guitar to open-D), BWP (dropped-D), Grand Conjuration (dropped-D)
- the older songs are not so good, for they are written strongely for 2 guitars (To bid you farewell and so)

I know it because I played on the streets a few weeks ago with my friend from the Opeth tribute band, and it was great!

In my opinion the fully acoustic songs are better, for near the campfire, on acoustic guitar growling is a bit ridiculous... for me at least:)