Opeth "Australien" Tour

scorpian007 said:
I think Melb gets 3 shows because the venue is quite small (smaller than last time)
Well that's a very odd observation considering they're playing at the same venue as they did last time. They could have saved themselves a lot of time and money if they played two shows at the hi-fi or something.

Hey I'm in Darwin too!

But lucky for me I'll be flying down to Brisso and Melbourne to catch them...

It's is going to be fucking cool...I'm actually hoping it will be the damnation tour...I want to hear To Bid You Farewell....

Cheers

Paul D.

Seriously its the still the Damnation tour right? Its not like they'll be expecting HUGE crowds anyway, so I wouldnt say population matters all that much... but fuck it.

curbstone, another Darwinian aye? Christ I genuinly thought I was the only one.

hehe...

let me inform you that at least three of my Darwin friends are into Opeth...but I have been promoting them for about seven years now so you think a least some would have caught on...

Cheers

Paul D.

Koichi said:
Exactly, it's a small population, thats why Opeth aren't playing there, same reason Opeth won't play in Canberra, regardless of the fact it's the nations capital. I can go to sydney or melbourne though.
Damn right, we're the nations capital. I think we deserve atleast one show. There are tonnes of of Opeth fans here anyway.

scorpian007 said:
Damn right, we're the nations capital. I think we deserve atleast one show. There are tonnes of of Opeth fans here anyway.

Not really scorpian, once you turn 18 you'll soon realise how small of a metal scene we have here, people who regulary go to gigs is about 100, people who come along for big gigs the total is 500 max, and thats for something huge with broad appeal. Mayhem didn't even sell out the ANU bar, and they were playing with Dungeon and Chalice.

The only international bands we get here are one's that don't play large venues and are happy with a small crowd.

Koichi said:
Not really scorpian, once you turn 18 you'll soon realise how small of a metal scene we have here, people who regulary go to gigs is about 100, people who come along for big gigs the total is 500 max, and thats for something huge with broad appeal. Mayhem didn't even sell out the ANU bar, and they were playing with Dungeon and Chalice.

The only international bands we get here are one's that don't play large venues and are happy with a small crowd.
I think MFTB is the only metal act which does really well here.

scorpian007 said:
I think MFTB is the only metal act which does really well here.

That's mainly interstaters.

When you turn 18, come up to the rockape. It's a top night out, everyone is friendly as hell. You get absolutely pissed and watch some bands, then go home sometime around 5.

I can't complain since Melbourne gets 3 shows (well, one underage one which I won't be able to get into) but I'd still have much rather seen them at the HiFi as was originally intended. Really can't see shit at the Corner unless you're close to the stage. Wonder who will be supporting...?

I'll be at the syd show.. should be sweet.. as for darwin.. its a nice city (went there end of '03) but I guess Opeth/most bands don't see it as big enough or something.. but 3 melbourne shows??

I don't mind it being damnation, if it still is... though I much prefer the heavy stuff :D

Chow Mai Dong said:
I can't complain since Melbourne gets 3 shows (well, one underage one which I won't be able to get into) but I'd still have much rather seen them at the HiFi as was originally intended. Really can't see shit at the Corner unless you're close to the stage. Wonder who will be supporting...?
Do we know if it's actually *under 18 only* or just all ages (ie. non licensed, closed bar, etc)? I don't see why they'd make it under-age only, since they'd be turning away the majority of their fan base, some of which would go to an all ages show as well as the other 2.

plattopus said:
Do we know if it's actually *under 18 only* or just all ages (ie. non licensed, closed bar, etc)? I don't see why they'd make it under-age only, since they'd be turning away the majority of their fan base, some of which would go to an all ages show as well as the other 2.
Yep, it'll be under 18's only, due to Victoria's fucked licensing laws - in short, you can't have an all ages gig at a venue that would otherwise be licensed. It has to be either over 18's only or under 18's only, I don't know why they're not able to make it all-ages. All the other cities (except Brisbane I think) are getting all-ages shows.

So is there any word on whether it's a Damnation tour or a heavy tour? I want a heavy tour...

and it fucking sucks that it's not at the Hi-Fi, that's the only place you can see everything no matter where you are...but hey, we gotta take what we can get :)

does anyone know what setlist its gonna be...

by the looks of this thread no.

if its like the seatle show Masters
Drapery
The Moor (first time ever)
Windowpane
In My Time of
April Ethereal
Deliverance
Blackwater Park (first time ever)

Encore

Demon

OMFG PLEASE BE TRUE

I've wondered why no one was discussing this the past few days since the announcement, I'm most interested to see the amount of 'under 18' shows to, which if phenomenal for around these parts when you think about it. After the 'under 18's ONLY' news though, I'm not sure whether to be pissed or not, as my missus was turning 18 literally DAYS after the end of the tour, so it's good to hear that she can come down with me and see them play now........ but I won't be there with her. :(

You would think that they could still at least offer 'all-ages' with NO BAR, and hence avoid all the problems. Go figure... :bah:

I was thinking of seeing all three shows at first too.