Opeth breaks US top 25 with Watershed ...

#1 in Finland...I'd have never guess this when I listened Orchid few months after it was released, haha.

That chart info is wrong. Maybe last week's? Anyhow, from Billboard in an article about Disturbed being #1 (note on the Top 200 chart link it's Usher), if you scroll down, you see mention of Watershed. So, it's valid.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003814785

Thanks for that! Fucke me, I haven't found it.

Well, now I can say that it's FUCKIN HOT! I was like "It would be cool, if it'd crack top 50". But 23th... it AWESOME!!! Congrats to my favourite for such success and... for sales, haha!

#1 in Finland...I'd have never guess this when I listened Orchid few months after it was released, haha.

Numba one??? Show me some charts!

^Sheep.

how is making well worth money out of something you love to do and get recognition for it a bad thing?

You misunderstand. The fact that they're popular is not the problem.

It's that the people who really pay attention to those charts and base their musical tastes on the top 50... just really piss me off.

It's that the people who really pay attention to those charts and base their musical tastes on the top 50... just really piss me off.

You're a shitty snob! No one talks that Opeth got better after cracking the chart, but hey - our favourite band gets much more popular. And rich. I respect Mike and the guys too much and I'm fucking glad with their business going so good.

^Sheep.

that's one way of seeing it, but i'm more of an optimist and see it as a new big era for sophisticated music with real quality rising up in popularity.

^Sheep.

the numbers show that watershed is successful, gaining new fans, allowing mikael and the guys to support their families and not have to worry about "making enough money." this means that opeth's future looks strong and prosperous.

p.s. just because ur one of those dudes who started listening to opeth in the summer of 2007 doesnt mean u have to be pissed at all the other new fans like u that are growing in numbers. be happy!!!!

that's one way of seeing it, but i'm more of an optimist and see it as a new big era for sophisticated music with real quality rising up in popularity.

optimism seems to be fading away in this forum...

Not to be the barer of bad tidings (or good I guess for those of you that think success is bad?), but the chart position is irrelevant. As album sales plummet, a band doesn't have to sell nearly as many albums to chart highly as they they did just five years ago. A better question is how did it sell compared to the previous outing? The Blabbermouth article said that Watershed charted at 23 with 19,000 sales. GR debuted at 64 with just under 15k. I'd still say that is good because Opeth's opening week sales are still going up after each album. One could make the assumption, without much risk of being wrong, that Opeth has maintained their core audience and expanded their popularity among music fans who still purchase albums.

An example for perspective though. When Lacuna Coil released Karma Code in 2006, it debuted at 28 with 34,000 units sold the first week. True, all these positions are relative to how well everything else sold that week, but since 2001, it has taken consistently less to place in the Top 100.

Congrats, Opeth!!

Please, just don't fall in line with your fellow chart topper. CONQUER THEM!!

Mainstream sucks, so keep true!:cool:

^Sheep.

And how many of those people do you think actually end up on this forum?

We're having a celebratory discussion on the success of a band we love. Quit bitching Cerberus. You're fucking annoying, and your posts are fucking worthless. You've been here not even 2 months and you've already got more than twice as many posts as I've accumulated in over 2 years.

Maybe you should try just reading a thread, rather than giving your narrow minded fuck-off opinion for once. You might actually learn something, instead of just pissing people off.

edit: LOL, Looks like Cerberus got banned. Looks like he'll have to take my advice whether he likes it or not!