OPETH clones

Originally posted by Pandemonium666
Farmakon - Finland
That's a pretty harsh accusation made by a guy who has only had the possibility to hear up to 4 songs by us...

please hold your name-calling 'till the album comes out and then you'll get to say what ever's on your mind. Of course we are willing to receive criticism any time but I don't think you meant this that way...?

The same goes for Thales.

A few comments on some bands mentioned:

Agalloch. Novembre:
Both have similar feels to opeth, and some similarities, but there are also some fundamental differences, and for these two bands they tend to have similar themes throughout their songs and tend to work on variations of riffs, and mixing of ideas throughout songs. Opeth of course arent like this, they use a new riff for every occasion, or use an exact replica of a previous riff. Makes for quite different music, to get the most from both bands you'd have to listen to them in quite different ways. To me, agalloch and novembre also both sound more standard minor scale than opeth (who use a lot of diminished chords, and disonance, and jazzy chords, and such). And these two bands also use more effects and such. Id say while there are similarities in song structure and some feels and riffs, that overall the fundamental differences in how they express themselves through music is quite large.

Maudlin of the Well:
Completely different musical attitudes. Opeth become more 'riffy' by the day, maudlin's next album is attempting to compeltely remove the idea of the riff. Maudlin have the variety in riffs and influences that opeth have, but explore ideas for far longer and change things up and whatever. Again, similar in some ways, but the fundamental ways they create music is extremely different.

Katatonia:
Most doesnt have similarities, but the BMD period does have similarities to what opeth do. Its different but a song such as Rainroom would not be out of place on mayh (assuming it had the same production) i would think. Its about as close to opeth as ive heard. As always there are differences, and recent katatonia bares no resemblence at all. The main difference with katatonia and opeth is that opeth create intricate and interesting riffs, katatonia have always worked more on droning riffs, distorted stuff tends to be stuff like having a chord and just strumming it 8 times on the beat. When they get notey on BMD its more in the orchid/morningrise style, though a bit less twin guitary (tends to be just straight harmonies of a line).

Thales and Farmakon both have similarities but again have their differences. Both are pretty close to opeth though, at least they are starting from an opeth position, and have developed their own styles from there.. and as such some of the fundamentals are the same (especially the whole idea of changing riff completely, and the quick change between acoustic/distorted, and song length, and song structure, and variety of sounds.. etc).

I havent found any band quite like opeth, but there are plenty that do elements of opeth's sound, and each has their own uniqueness to them as well. There are differences with the above bands for sure, but i would say if you like opeth then there is plenty chance you'll really get into some of the above bands.

Oh, and one thing. Why do some people think that mixing clean and distorted guitar parts is something Opeth invented. Do your goddamn homework! there's nothing there that for example Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper didn't do in the late 60' and early 70'. The same thing for singing/growling. Take any early 90's band and it's there: Paradise Lost, Moonspell...

Originally posted by Downfall
Oh, and one thing. Why do some people think that mixing clean and distorted guitar parts is something Opeth invented. Do your goddamn homework! there's nothing there that for example Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper didn't do in the late 60' and early 70'.
There is an obvious difference between the way opeth do it and the way those bands you mentioned did it. For one, to my knowledge, those bands mostly did it in the context of verse/chorus songs. Of course opeth were in turn influenced by those who came before them, and they certainly werent the originators, but im pretty certain opeth's way has had somewhat of an impact on opeth fans.

I guess the defining opeth feature is the mixture of a few things (the mixture of long unstructured songs, acoustic/distorted changes, and the constant ever changing of riffs... as opposed to the development of themes). Its this mixture which has influenced many. I do believe opeth is the major influencer in this area, and i think their influence is obvious. Not necessarily simply the use of clean/distorted.. but the way in which it is applied.

Originally posted by Downfall
Oh, and one thing. Why do some people think that mixing clean and distorted guitar parts is something Opeth invented. Do your goddamn homework! there's nothing there that for example Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper didn't do in the late 60' and early 70'. The same thing for singing/growling. Take any early 90's band and it's there: Paradise Lost, Moonspell...

why do u get so upset...? You will release your album and we will hear the things you say... don't be pissed... peace!;)

Originally posted by Pandemonium666
why do u get so upset...? You will release your album and we will hear the things you say... don't be pissed... peace!;)
That particular quote reffers to older things, and I'm not pissed. I admit many similarities in our riffs, but I just don't like the word clone... :)

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
Katatonia:
Most doesnt have similarities, but the BMD period does have similarities to what opeth do. Its different but a song such as Rainroom would not be out of place on mayh (assuming it had the same production) i would think. Its about as close to opeth as ive heard. As always there are differences, and recent katatonia bares no resemblence at all. The main difference with katatonia and opeth is that opeth create intricate and interesting riffs, katatonia have always worked more on droning riffs, distorted stuff tends to be stuff like having a chord and just strumming it 8 times on the beat. When they get notey on BMD its more in the orchid/morningrise style, though a bit less twin guitary (tends to be just straight harmonies of a line).
, and variety of sounds.. etc).

I think there are some more similarities between Opeth and Katatonia than those you mentioned. Songs 'Funeral Wedding' and especially 'Shades of Emerald Fields' from 'For Funerals to Come' EP are very much similar to Orchid-era Opeth. SoEF could actually be straight from Orchid, it's really similar Forest of October for example, as is FW as well.

I would have to say, that to be an "opeth clone" you would have to not only use the contrast between heavyness and melodicism, but also augment that by using classical guitar techniques for the accoustic parts and also riffs with open string drones. In essence, this makes opeth what opeth are and not another band who meerly utylises the dynamic contrast between heavy and melodic, light and dark... :)